Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 10:08 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmyers View Post
You have to make your own fun here and then make the most of that. It's a great place if your retired.
CKMyers is spot-on about Sneads Ferry. We are retired here, and mostly love it.

The disadvantage is that you have to drive to Jacksonville or Surf City or Hampstead to get medical care. I miss some urban amenities, so I pay for an online subscription to the NY Times. I get classical music thru a Sirius XM subscription, as the Wilmington PBS station does not play music in the early morning.

For adult conversation, some of the women in the development have started a book club. I also belong to a DAR chapter in Jacksonville. You have to get involved in some group to meet people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 03:53 PM

413 posts, read 701,289 times
Hey, I finally got a real HOME delivery of the Sunday NY Times in Surf City. I've tried twice before since I moved down here. Initially, they said OK when I put in my zip code, but came back later and said,"Sorry, not available." This time it went through and I've gotten two issues already! So anyone else on the island here who wants a great Sunday paper, go for it. I also get Sirius radio. There is very active community theater group in Sneads Ferry, by the way. We went to their latest production Saturday night, it was great fun.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:14 AM

One problem is that nobody knows where it is! Even the local drug store is selling tee-shirts with "Sneads Ferry, South Carolina."

Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 AM

The most recent outrage is this: Horse shooting case continues | case, horse, rewards - News Source for Jacksonville, North Carolina - jdnews.com

We are hoping someone turns in the offender, and that they charge them with something that sticks.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,681 times
Default wow

2012 Sneads Ferry Nc is when we moved here We love it!!!! Is gorgeous!!! I respect the old sneads ferry and the history behind it The shrimp festival the fisherman and their families the schools the flower shop the ice cream stores our 3 gas stations I love that we have historical land and the trails that unite the community We own 5 acres of paradise even tho they are building plenty of new housing and apartments I treasure what we have Thank You Sneads Ferry for welcoming us with open arms we being a military family and travel from the west to east coast we decided to retire here We can get our blankets out at night and lay outside and watch the clear sky the moon and the stars some things have changed for the better and some gladly stayed the same WE LOVE SNEADS FERRY NC!

Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,856 times
Two years ago, my husband was assigned to begin a new church plant, The EDGE Church, in Sneads Ferry. Since then we have enjoyed the seaside community and have had many positive experiences in the local community! We had realistic expectations; Sneads Ferry is a laid back, eastern seaboard, friendly community. Wilmington, it's not. But that wouldn't be comparing apples to apples. We have met several of the volunteer community workers who are all very accommodating and competent. We can tell the area has made many strides, in the past few years, towards improving the local amenities and now offer many upscale housing developments and new businesses. The proximity to several military bases proves there are many young families in the area. We are glad to be a part of the Sneads Ferry community and look forward to moving to the area next summer when our daughter graduates. Sneads Ferry may seem a bit behind the times but it is on a steady incline to catch up and will always have that "down-east" charm.
As for those who are miserable there, I wish you well, and hope that you will find what you're looking for where ever you end up. As for us, we will embrace Sneads Ferry for what it has to offer and find joy in where we're planted!

Old 07-07-2013, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,509 times
Well I don't know what crack pot you're living in, but I've lived here in Sneads Ferry for 9 years now. I work as an Onslow Country paramedic and I am normally at Station 6 (the ambulance station in SF) and we absolutely have good and recent equipment! We are NOT a volunteer ambulance. So if you don't know your facts, keep your ignorant mouth shut! Snead's Ferry is a wonderful place to live except during the summer when the locals won't be caught dead in public because of all the tourists. The emergency services have fast response times (about 5 minutes) and the schools are nationally ranked. There are stores that are opened 24 hours a day and some that close at 10 pm. There's nice restaurants and fast food. All in all it is a great place to live

Old 07-08-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janealice87 View Post
....... We are NOT a volunteer ambulance. So if you don't know your facts, keep your ignorant mouth shut!......
Gently, gently please. The post about the "volunteer ambulance" is 6 years old, and I doubt the poster is still around.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 PM

36 posts, read 136,523 times
Default Have since moved to Sneads Ferry!

Just thought I would update my post by saying that we have lived in Sneads Ferry for one year, July 1, 2013.

Sure, I miss living on Topsail Island and my husband still works in Surf City at Ward Realty.

I don't miss worrying about our home when I hear there is a new Tropical Storm and that we are
in the projected path. There is an "H" word I don't even like to say!

Sneads Ferry is delightful! The area is growing by leaps and bounds. Unfortunately, Sneads Ferry voted
not to incorporate, so the monetary gains go directly to Onslow county.

I miss having patrols by the local police. If you need a deputy sheriff, you have to wait for them to
arrive much longer than you would want.

Maybe one day, the citizens of Sneads Ferry will change their minds and pass the incorporation.
Right now, there is no infrastructure like there was in Surf City. There are pluses and negatives,
depending on who you speak to.

Hope since I wrote the original post that you have been to Sneads Ferry for a visit. If not,
hope you will put it on your list!

Old 05-25-2014, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,212 times
Making my first trip to Snead's Ferry next month. I love Topsail so I figure I'll love Snead's Ferry. How far is it to the beach and is there an access close??? I'm looking to move coastal in a few years so we are checking out places and people now..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina