Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 12:26 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grin-n-bearit View Post
Making my first trip to Snead's Ferry next month. I love Topsail so I figure I'll love Snead's Ferry. How far is it to the beach and is there an access close??? I'm looking to move coastal in a few years so we are checking out places and people now..
The beach is about 4.5 miles from the "Four Corners" where Highways 172 and 210 intersect. Public access to the beach is easy, and there are parking places from which you can walk to the beach. It is relatively uncrowded during the summer.

Sneads Ferry is not the same as Topsail Beach at all, as it is quieter. Think of it as a small town with basic shopping and a few souvenir shops. Please visit our community, Mimosa Bay. We have lovely houses, shady trees, a great community center with an outdoor pool and tennis courts. We have a mix of all ages, and I would love to have more retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Sneads Ferry is not the same as Topsail Beach at all, as it is quieter. Think of it as a small town with basic shopping and a few souvenir shops.
I should have said that there are really three different communities in the same zip code 28460. There is North Topsail Beach which is a typical beach cottage area with its own town police force. It is very quiet with only a fishing pier and a couple of restaurants. If you want the beach, this is where to look.

The old Sneads Ferry is a shrimping village built in the 20's and 30's. Its communities are Fulcher Landing and Peru, and its water access is on the river. It has unique charm, but here are only a few businesses there- the Riverview Inn, a couple others and the retail shrimp and seafood places. There is also a new boat launch here.

Then there is the new suburban Sneads Ferry centering around Highway 210 and the shopping centers. Its communities include the North Shore Country Club, Mimosa Bay, Mill Creek, Escoba Bay, etc. It is a bedroom community for the Camp Lejeune Marines and Navy. It is nice and the houses are spacious, but we have a lot of turnover with people moving every 2-3 years.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:14 AM

5 posts, read 13,930 times
I consider myself about as lucky as they come to o have found a very nice place on the water on Poverty Point. Me and my fiancée are moving in Oct 1st, but I already have the house and we've got out furniture in and the grill is on the deck! I am ex military, (Navy and Army.. got too banged up before I could try the Corps).. and I have lived all over this planet. I love traveling to Ecuador in the winter and have the last several. So, as far as "doing without" ..Snead's Ferry as so very far from that, you just can't imagine. (Something like mail coming to a house in Cuenca? lol..nope). And although I was born and raised in Seattle and San Diego (Navy brat) my family is mostly NC and largely Cherokee. I am right now living where I have for years, Charlotte NC, ..and as much as I enjoy culture and access to city trappings, I am literally pounding on my calendar to try to make Oct 1st get here sooner. I can walk (jog or run) away from this place with zero regret and barely even look back. The Charlotte/Gastonia area is great for many things, but one of the most reliable is tuning into the local news every single morning to see exactly how many were shot and killed, raped, robbed, maimed or car jacked the night before. Not a day goes by were some atrocity has no occurred within a couple miles of anyone here. No, you can have it. If I feel the itch for a ciiy escape, I'll drive back or fly to NY (which I now find to be safer and saner than Charlotte.. never thought I'd he saying that!). It is off the hook, and I can taste the salt and sea calling me back. I worked a shrimp boat as a teenager before heading to Navy boot camp, so when I first drove out to see the house and I passed those beautiful docks, I knew I had found home finsllym Everyone from Snead's, topsail and surf city I met were so friendly and relaxed that my 10 years tension headache finally went away.
I'm sure ..no I'm positive.. that "pros and cons" are very relative terms. What may seem a con to someone today, may very well not be so after a bit of experience in things that may seem better from a distance, but sours quickly in the mouth once the real price has been realized. For me, I'm retiring at 50 and I can say I've been upnajd down the whole of the East Coast, and this place is truly a jewel. 15 miles to a store? Lovely.. I can have 15 miles to be thankful. No police dept.? Even better, because let me tell you that speaks volumes. If they were needed they would he here. Perhaps one can say there should be early responders.. I can't argue that. But if you compare a place one poster said "the 4 times they've had to be called out" with a place that has literally hundreds of calls a day... well. Personally I would prefer to not have them because they aren't very needed to having them because everyone is killing each other. Apparently the good people of this area are savvy in taking care if themselves. That just sounds great peachy to me too...

Old 09-14-2014, 09:18 AM

...all apologies for smart phone typos.
James

Old 09-14-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopp View Post
I consider myself about as lucky as they come to o have found a very nice place on the water on Poverty Point. Me and my fiancée are moving in Oct 1st, but I already have the house and we've got out furniture in and the grill is on the deck!
Welcome to the Ferry. If you are not into catching your own seafood, try the Davis's Seafood place. They have the freshest things available. Oyster season is approaching.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:50 AM

Thank you, I'll do that. I'll be catching, yes, but I will always be ready to buy when they're not on my hook.. and yes, I always look forward to fresh oysters as the waters cool. I used to be able to go to the public beds of Murril's Inlet, but they probably don't exist. Doesn't much matter since I doubt I could be dragged into Horry County nowadays. (Did I say nowadays??) Damn, I really did turn 50..lol. Thanks for the welcome and the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina