U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2015, 03:56 AM
 
Location: Winterville, NC
29 posts, read 27,986 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

Stopgo1, what time did you go through there? You said before dark but made it sound like you were cutting it close. I went through there with my family between 8:45 and 9:00PM and the only thing that slowed me down was the bridge itself. There was no sign of any checkpoint, only some road construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2015, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Apex, NC
3,036 posts, read 7,406,744 times
Reputation: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
You don't have the right to drive. You do have the right to walk down the street without being frisked. Again, no comparison.




I'm not for having anyone's rights violated, either. I guess I'm confused so please explain how the o.p.'s rights were violated.
In reference to your first point, you're absolutely correct, driving (as in permission to operate a motor vehicle) is not a right. However, you still have individual rights while behind the wheel of a vehicle. You can not be arbitrarily stopped just because you're driving. An offense, or a suspicion of an offense has to be part of the equation.

To answer your second question, it's because the OP was detained (forced to wait in a receiving line) for committing no offense. There was no reasonable suspicion and no probable cause a crime was committed. I understand the Supreme Court ruling on roadblocks/checkpoints, but IMO that's having your rights trampled on.

I actually agree with you on many things underPSI, but Liberty is one of the most important aspects of my life and I take it with the utmost seriousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 07:32 AM
 
989 posts, read 1,652,104 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
You don't have the right to drive. You do have the right to walk down the street without being frisked. Again, no comparison.




I'm not for having anyone's rights violated, either. I guess I'm confused so please explain how the o.p.'s rights were violated.
Who says driving is not a right? Imagine we had the same laws as Saudi Arabia...Women can not drive by law. Would you still call driving a privilege? Would you be fighting for the privilege or the right to drive for women? The whole privilege statement comes from telling people that if they endanger other they will lose their right to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,819,933 times
Reputation: 3417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad-Life View Post
Stopgo1, what time did you go through there? You said before dark but made it sound like you were cutting it close. I went through there with my family between 8:45 and 9:00PM and the only thing that slowed me down was the bridge itself. There was no sign of any checkpoint, only some road construction.
From post #32:

"At the time we became stopped in traffic it was approximately 6:50pm. The time we finally cleared the check point was about 7:45pm."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
3,271 posts, read 7,269,651 times
Reputation: 3891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
In reference to your first point, you're absolutely correct, driving (as in permission to operate a motor vehicle) is not a right. However, you still have individual rights while behind the wheel of a vehicle. You can not be arbitrarily stopped just because you're driving. An offense, or a suspicion of an offense has to be part of the equation.

To answer your second question, it's because the OP was detained (forced to wait in a receiving line) for committing no offense. There was no reasonable suspicion and no probable cause a crime was committed. I understand the Supreme Court ruling on roadblocks/checkpoints, but IMO that's having your rights trampled on.

I actually agree with you on many things underPSI, but Liberty is one of the most important aspects of my life and I take it with the utmost seriousness.
I understand your point. Trust me, I do agree with you about not having your rights violated. But my point to the o.p., which he still has yet to reply, is none of his rights were violated and thought it was pathetic he was pissed about the stop only because his vacation was delayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
Who says driving is not a right? Imagine we had the same laws as Saudi Arabia...Women can not drive by law. Would you still call driving a privilege? Would you be fighting for the privilege or the right to drive for women? The whole privilege statement comes from telling people that if they endanger other they will lose their right to drive.
We have the Constitution. They do not. No comparison there.

And no, you do not have the right to drive. Something else I bet you think you know but are wrong. You also have NO RIGHT to vote in a federal election. Choke on that one. LoL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 01:23 PM
 
91 posts, read 178,631 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
But none of this happened. They asked for you license, you complied (which, by law, you are required to do), and you went on your way. Nowhere did I post I am all for unreasonable search and seizure. You are grabbing for straws. You are pissed because you were stopped on your way for your vacation and were inconvenienced.

Would you have made this thread if some moron crashed their car and caused a 45 minute delay even though the crash could've been avoided if the drivers simply paid attention to their driving?

underPSI -

Yes, I was and will always be aggravated when I am delayed on my journeys, for no good reason.

To use your style of reasoning seen throughout your responses, there were ZERO crashes caused by morons resulting in delays along Rt. 12 this weekend, so your analogy is quite poor.


The officers simply checked his license. As a driver you are required to carry a license when driving and present the license when asked. The o.p. did just that and was on his merry way. No harm, no foul.

Except he was inconvenienced.

Correct.





But the o.p. makes the assumption the entire checkpoint was put in place to inconvenience drivers just "to make money". If only the o.p. was man enough to stop and ask the officer what he meant by the comment. But that would've inconvenienced him further.

This is NOT an assumption, it is a stated fact by a patrolman, period. Were I man enough? I'm not even sure where you come off making that statement hiding behind your keyboard and attacking me, what a d#@k!

I did not need to stop and ask him what he meant, it was beyond clear what he meant. The purpose of this "dragnet" was to make money. And yes, you are correct, it would have further delayed and inconvenienced me, my family and every single other person in the extremely long line of traffic behind me.



Are you really trying to make such a comparison?


So I make a statement that should be interpreted that I support a police officer's job by willingly complying to their request to show my license means I think the constitution is garbage? Again, it would be different if they pulled him and his family out of his car and searched it without cause. But none of that happened. He showed his license and left.

What sucks is the people in America who get pissed off about being inconvenienced on their vacation by having to wait in traffic to prove they have a driver's license.

Why does it sucks that people get aggravated for being stopped for no good reason?? In this country we work and play in disproportionate fashion. I work 50+ hours a week, more most of the time. I get a fraction of Vacation time for the time I am expected to work. Is an hour a lot of time, all depends on the situation. For an accident, it's understandable. For a man-made road block on the OBX, one that is apparently crafted annually, it is not acceptable.

Again, the officers did not search his vehicle or stop him any longer than required to perform their duty.

I disagree with what you feel is "any longer than required". My license and registration, yours too and everyone else's can be checked with simple scripts run against databases holding the information. If I am non-compliant, out of date or whatever, they can mail a citation. This is 2015, no need to manually execute these type of stops. However, that's really not what they were after although I'm sure they found some people with expired licenses and tags.


I wonder how many people actually thanked the officers (keep in mind they have to wear a bullet-proof vest because people want to KILL THEM just because of their profession) for so graciously having made the decision to accept a job knowing the day may come they don't go home from work to their spouse and children just to protect the people who gripe about being inconvenienced on their vacation? Those same officers who inconvenienced you would also stop a bullet for you.

Couple things here...first off, I thanked the officer for his time and service, told him I appreciated what he does and to stay safe. Next up, did he graciously make a decision to accept the job know he'd be away from his family? What if he has no wife/kids? I have been told they get paid double-time for such shifts, it's an opportunity, not as much a sacrifice. For that matter, I did not, and still do not, feel I was being protected from anything by the fact that this road block existed. There were no bullets to stop, again we were on one of the most remote sections of roadway in the state of NC, not in Harlem, NYC with an escaped serial murderer running about.


What's wrong with y'all??


edit: I'm now thinking I need to re-read the first post. With the number of people sticking up for the o.p. I had to have missed something. There is no way people have become this disillusioned towards police in our country.

Just re-read the first post. I even checked Google maps to make sure my memory served me correctly that NC12 is a 2-lane road. Yup, it is at least just past New inlet where the o.p. stated the license check occurred.

In fact, I initially thought the officer actually ran the o.p.'s driver's license number to verify no warrants. After I re-read the post I learned the officer simply looked at the license and verified the tags were valid.

To clear up one more point of confusion you appear to have, I am not upset with the police officers for this roadblock. I am offended by the one police officer's ignorance that led him to blatantly blurt out how much money this road block was generating. If I am upset at all it is with legislators who enable such things all in the vein of making money. Yes, law breakers are apprehended. Yes, drunks are likely taken off the roads. Yes, drugs are likely taken out of circulation.

I am still NOT ok with being lumped into the likes of the violators and inconvenienced during my holiday, I'm happy for you that you are ok with this, that's what makes America so great, we all get to have our individual opinions.

As for the constitution, well, it's not for me to say, but it sure does seem very loose to interpretation anymore and can be appended to suit whoever's needs for whatever reason. Not saying some of the modifications and interpretations are not good, but I also can't say that all are good and necessary.


So I stand behind everything I have posted.


In closing, with all this having been said, do I agree that the inconvenience sucks? Of course I agree that it sucks. But the inconvenience of a car crash sucks also. I would much rather be inconvenienced from a license check-point that has resulted in arrests being made than from needless car crashes where people have been injured.

You keep citing car crashes, there were none and they have nothing to do with the post.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 01:26 PM
 
91 posts, read 178,631 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by conigam View Post
AMEN!

The mentality shown on this board against law enforcement saddens me. Would you have the same mentality when you are in need of law enforcement? I think not. They will be the best thing since sliced bread. They were doing their job. Period. Appreciate. Don't hate.
I'll say it again, it is not the police officers doing their jobs that is the problem. It is the stupid comment about the money being made. Yes, they following orders. It's the orders that suck and the method that sucks. Databases can be queried for expired license and registration. This road block was for other things, money making first, drunks, drugs and warrants after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 01:40 PM
 
91 posts, read 178,631 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad-Life View Post
Stopgo1, what time did you go through there? You said before dark but made it sound like you were cutting it close. I went through there with my family between 8:45 and 9:00PM and the only thing that slowed me down was the bridge itself. There was no sign of any checkpoint, only some road construction.

It was approximately 6-6:30pm. Not sure what time it started or when it wrapped up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 02:24 PM
 
Location: The Emerald City
1,486 posts, read 1,699,848 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo1 View Post
I'll say it again, it is not the police officers doing their jobs that is the problem. It is the stupid comment about the money being made. Yes, they following orders. It's the orders that suck and the method that sucks. Databases can be queried for expired license and registration. This road block was for other things, money making first, drunks, drugs and warrants after that.


Are you sure? Or are those your feelings?

Any holiday weekend could include backups on Friday nights at the beach. You got there just as everybody else who left work and drove out from the Triangle got there.

I'm still not understanding the money thing. Who made money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
3,271 posts, read 7,269,651 times
Reputation: 3891
O/P: based on your reply to mine you have removed all doubt on the type of person you are. Good luck in life. There are other states.....other countries in which to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top