Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 04:52 PM

159 posts, read 187,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
I would first subscribe to the Brunswick Beacon newspaper. You will see that "Carolina Shores" area of Calabash does indeed have flooding issues as well as petty crime stats. Calabash itself is a very charming little town that now is busting out of the seams. Expect over a good hour + wait on the weekends to go to a restaurant. The little Calabash secret is out. Everyone is coming here.
Sad. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 06:00 PM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Quote:
Calabash itself is a very charming little town that now is busting out of the seams. Expect over a good hour + wait on the weekends to go to a restaurant. The little Calabash secret is out. Everyone is coming here.
This is very true, and is also true of everywhere in coastal Brunswick County...Ocean Isle, Holden, Oak Island, Leland, BSL, Southport, etc. Everywhere is growing like crazy. Its still a great area, despite the growth. You just have to be thorough in your search and really think deeply about whats important to you in a new home and choose accordingly.

Old 06-29-2023, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
This is very true, and is also true of everywhere in coastal Brunswick County...Ocean Isle, Holden, Oak Island, Leland, BSL, Southport, etc. Everywhere is growing like crazy. Its still a great area, despite the growth. You just have to be thorough in your search and really think deeply about whats important to you in a new home and choose accordingly.
I need to think of the saying"you get what you pay for" when looking for a home. Seems that the Manufactured home communities may not be it. Thank you

Old 06-30-2023, 04:50 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Quote:
Calabash itself is a very charming little town that now is busting out of the seams. Expect over a good hour + wait on the weekends to go to a restaurant. The little Calabash secret is out. Everyone is coming here.
We took a trip down to check out some homes, we were directed to Bolivia by our agent, total miss on what we were looking for....no sale. Anyhow, also visited by brother and his wife in Calabash and saw what was going on as far as clear cutting and building. As it stands at the moment, I can look at a satellite view of Calabash and pick out my brothers house in a heartbeat from all trees near his home, yet when we visited, it's all be cleared, needless to say, he's not happy

Old 06-30-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
We took a trip down to check out some homes, we were directed to Bolivia by our agent, total miss on what we were looking for....no sale. Anyhow, also visited by brother and his wife in Calabash and saw what was going on as far as clear cutting and building. As it stands at the moment, I can look at a satellite view of Calabash and pick out my brothers house in a heartbeat from all trees near his home, yet when we visited, it's all be cleared, needless to say, he's not happy
You didn't find anything?

Old 07-01-2023, 04:44 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowgirl View Post
You didn't find anything?
It's just myself, the Wife and our Yorkie, agent kept showing us 4 bedroom, new construction built by a builder I've heard horror stories about....no interest, no sale. At the rate builders are throwing these homes up, I'm leaning toward resales not new construction. I saw one home (New construction) with a very noticeable bow in a wall.....another, completed new construction with fresh drywall screws screwed into it over painted wall....obvious issue there. 1,654 sq. ft. advertised, I did not see that square footage, our current home is 1,700.

Old 07-01-2023, 08:44 AM

58,967 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Didn`t Brunswick Plantation have flooding....can`t think of the other community, right now. Just wanted the poster to be aware.

Just saw your post that Brunswick Plantation is not in Calabash.....every site I have been on says in is in Calabash??
"Didnt Brunswick Plantation have flooding.

As I said, The only flooding I have seen is at Brunswick Plantation.

Brunswick Plantation is across 17 which isn't really Calabash even though it is in the same zip code

Old 07-01-2023, 03:11 PM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
It's just myself, the Wife and our Yorkie, agent kept showing us 4 bedroom, new construction built by a builder I've heard horror stories about....no interest, no sale. At the rate builders are throwing these homes up, I'm leaning toward resales not new construction. I saw one home (New construction) with a very noticeable bow in a wall.....another, completed new construction with fresh drywall screws screwed into it over painted wall....obvious issue there. 1,654 sq. ft. advertised, I did not see that square footage, our current home is 1,700.
Yeah, I can't imagine building a house or buying new construction right now. Its the worst construction market in at least 60 years, as far as being the buildee, lol.

Old 07-01-2023, 08:31 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
Yeah, I can't imagine building a house or buying new construction right now. Its the worst construction market in at least 60 years, as far as being the buildee, lol.
So true! Building prices up and over 300 sq/ft. There are a number of resales on the market in the Calabash area, find the area that suits your wants and your budget. (golf course access, proximity to the beach etc).

Then start looking without an agent (they typically want to push your budget) and narrow down your area.
You will likely find a home that suits you and with a few tweaks and some paint will work perfectly!!

Old 07-04-2023, 06:59 AM

61 posts, read 63,407 times
Also considering the Calabash area but worried about healthcare, hospitals. Anyone know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina