Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 10:34 AM

217 posts, read 236,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
They wanted to narrow it so they don't relocate any residents. But it's alright, but I wish it still got widening to 4 lanes. Greenville's traffic is heavy and bad.

If you check out the AADT traffic map, as you can see, 14th st is over capacity. It still needs widening to 4 lanes.

http://ncdot.maps.arcgis.com/home/we...27f58a607b25a1
Only if the improved capacity of other arterials in the area (Fire Tower/Portertown, 10th e.g.) don't re-distribute traffic away from 14th. HP is right that the residential nature of the road lends itself more to 2-lane, road diet-type access rather than 4-lane limited access. Ultimately, discouraging high-volume traffic and higher speeds in residential areas is the goal; a road diet and 5'-0 bike lanes furthers that goal. Kudos to the City and DOT for this new configuration.

In other news, Greenville has issued an RFP for an artistic bike rack in front of GTAC: aiming for the rack to spell out the letters 'GREAT'. As long as the rack is also functional, this is a win-win. It'll be an instant placemaker and visual icon for the area, as well as something that should get great use as the Dickinson Ave. District develops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 12:17 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
UPDATE: Dickinson Ave After Dark gets canceled due to weather.

CANCELLED: Uptown Greenville calls off Dickinson Avenue After Dark

----------

Greenville's live music festival (Spazz Fest) is in its 9th year and returns this weekend.

SPAZZFEST IX

Seems to be getting bigger each year. Would be nice if they were able to book a bigger headlining act.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:35 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
Only if the improved capacity of other arterials in the area (Fire Tower/Portertown, 10th e.g.) don't re-distribute traffic away from 14th. HP is right that the residential nature of the road lends itself more to 2-lane, road diet-type access rather than 4-lane limited access. Ultimately, discouraging high-volume traffic and higher speeds in residential areas is the goal; a road diet and 5'-0 bike lanes furthers that goal. Kudos to the City and DOT for this new configuration.

In other news, Greenville has issued an RFP for an artistic bike rack in front of GTAC: aiming for the rack to spell out the letters 'GREAT'. As long as the rack is also functional, this is a win-win. It'll be an instant placemaker and visual icon for the area, as well as something that should get great use as the Dickinson Ave. District develops.
Thank you.

At some point (soon), the State and local govt officials need to be looking into limited access roadways to increase capacity, not just putting four lanes on every road. It is happening on the West side of Greenville through the bypass. Greenville officials need to get serious about it happening on the East and South side of town...even if it is an All American Freeway (Fayetteville) that doesn't connect to an Interstate (yet).

Old 03-23-2018, 01:00 PM

893 posts, read 1,343,826 times
Quote:
Greenville's live music festival (Spazz Fest) is in its 9th year and returns this weekend.

SPAZZFEST IX
They need to do a better job promoting this event because I really don't understand what it is and I have heard of it for a few years now. The name dosen't market itself to me.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
They need to do a better job promoting this event because I really don't understand what it is and I have heard of it for a few years now. The name dosen't market itself to me.
Friend went yesterday and said it got weird real quick. Not convinced it's a mass-appeal event.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:04 PM

378 posts, read 419,093 times
Construction to close Dickinson Avenue for one week - Daily Reflector

Old 03-24-2018, 11:52 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
From the article:

Quote:
Allen Road

The $25.4 million widening project is schedule for construction in 2021 with right-of-way acquisition starting this year. A public meeting to brief residents and local officials is scheduled for March 29. The project will widen 2.3 miles of Allen Road from a two-lane roadway to a four-lane, median-divided roadway from Stantonsburg Road to Dickinson Avenue in Greenville.
Does anyone else think Allen Road should be extended north to W 5th St, from its current terminus at MacGregor Downs?

Currently people coming from South Greenville have to clog up Stantonsburg if they want to get to the hospital. An extension would keep people off that road and funnel them to 5th St.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:20 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
From the article:

Does anyone else think Allen Road should be extended north to W 5th St, from its current terminus at MacGregor Downs?

Currently people coming from South Greenville have to clog up Stantonsburg if they want to get to the hospital. An extension would keep people off that road and funnel them to 5th St.
Yes. It could be linked to 5th at Paladin Drive, creating a new intersection. Also, I think Allen Rd should have two traffic signals, one at Cobblestone and another at the road that goes to Lakeforrest Elementary (two heavily populated neighborhoods). Right now the DOT plan is for all right turns with massive u-turn areas. That's a lot of traffic, including school buses, lining up and trying to turn around with a good deal of oncoming cars barreling through.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:02 PM

155 posts, read 235,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I have advocated that once the 10th St connector is done that 14th St between Charles and Stantonsburg could see a road diet and be reduced to two lanes, with bike lanes, sidewalks, etc...I think this section near Firetower could be a model for that and turn the entire road into a much more aesthetically pleasing road. With 10th St connected and widened, I just don't see the need for another 4 lane road on 14th. But it needs to be updated.
Completely disagree here. This stretch of road is not residential and in fact is a heavily traveled section of road with or without 10th street. And we don't want to unnecessarily divert a ton of traffic to 10th street - these are 2 logically different traffic flows. I have no problem keeping 14th a 2 lane with turn lanes / bike lanes out past York road for now, but to try an narrow 14th to Stantonsburg would not be a good idea IMO.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:45 PM

Any thoughts on the ECU/Limebike program thus far? I've seen data from the first two weeks, but I'm curious how the non-bike world views it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina