Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 06:01 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
About 15 years ago, I bought my first "ball" style vintage ceramic water pitcher. I now own 9 in different colors...7 were made by the Hall China Co. I also own two other pitchers made by Hall in the "Nora" pattern. When I bought my first pitcher, it was for purely nostalgic reasons. When I was a kid in the 1950s, my parents would take us to a diner that had an entire shelf of these water pitchers in all the colors of the rainbow.

hall china

Last Christmas, my son bought me two vintage Fiestaware tea cups (one pink, one yellow)...he thought they were made by the same company as my pitchers. They weren't, but that's perfectly OK. Now the hunt is on (the best part!) to find other pieces to go with these tea cups. I don't want to amass a complete set...heaven knows, I have enough stuff! But I want to find saucers to match my existing cups, and I'd like to add blue and green cups/saucers. I believe there are also lunch-sized plates that would go with my cups, so it would be nice to have a "luncheon" set.
What I want to know?......is why they could figure out a no-drip pouring spout in the early 20th century, but it seems to be a lost art! LOL

I have 2 of the "Ball" pitchers and I use my turquoise one on a regular basis. I had it stored for years, then decided it was coming out to be used.

I have an enormous collection of LuRay Pastel, in turq., pink, blue and yellow. Probably some of my absolute favorites "collectible" dishes are my M.A. Hadley-rearing horse, large coffee cups, plates and bowls. Love...love, love them!

I can't remember the name right off the top,.....okay, looked on the Web..yeah, Winfield, Bamboo (green). I love the way that dishware is painted...every piece is like a pretty piece of art. I'm so glad that it's not an over-the-top price for that stuff. When I went out to the shop, looking for something this spring, I noticed that a 'critter" had been in the shop, prowling, I guess. It knocked down some "non-valuable" crap, right onto my box of Winfield, Bamboo. Darn if several pieces didn't get broken....including the salt shaker. My bad....should have had them stored more carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 05:34 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC23 View Post
Be careful with McCoy. I'm seeing a lot of pieces that I believe are reproductions that are being passed off as legit. Cannot seem to find much info online does anyone have any suggestions on where to find good reference materials so I can spot the fakes more easily?
I have a MCCOY Pottery, by Hanson and Nissan, that is good. Lots of illustrations. This, and several other books are readily available on Amazon, and they aren't expensive.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:41 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefani W View Post
Sounds like Martha Stewart's earliest shows...I remember all her episodes on collecting Fiesta, McCoy, etc. I recorded them at 5 a.m. and watched them over and over again through the week!!! Craziness. The box of VHS tapes has disappeared but the memories of those shows linger...

For years in antique and curio shops and at garage sales I was ever-hopeful and shifty-eyed if I spotted something that resembled a find...my heart-beat quickened...

My husband thought I was mad in my collection-pursuit...eventually I slowed/stopped. I can now pass a Fiesta or McCoy with just a slight twitch-flinch. Fact is I ran out of space for even just one more...and the cost of my romantic involvement with collecting was getting outta hand.

Seriously, some of my favourite pieces are Currier & Ives stencilware in blue and white. Gotta love those old prints! Anything with an old mill, a covered bridge, a covered wagon, or a paddle-steamer, and I'm hooked....
I LOVED Martha Stewarts early shows too. They were quiet and beautifully photographed. I liked when she went on field trips to places like a little silk flower shop, a button shop and the furniture refinisher's shop. She took us to see the shops of craftsmen who had been in business forever, but who are vanishing these days.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:22 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
I like the Shawnee pottery items. I inherited a Smiley Pig cookie jar from my grandmother, now I have 4 more, a total of 5 pig cookie jars, a pig milk pitcher and a pig creamer. They go up and down in value. I never paid more than $50 for a piece. I saw a cookie jar like mine sold for $850 on Ebay! But now, the price has gone down again, still, my collection should be worth at least $700--$1000.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:47 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
I have a consignment store find that may be an original Stickley piece. It was the metal label on the non-visible side of the piece.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:28 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Well those are my interests and I was wondering if there were any others who prowl thrift shops, antique stores, estate sales, garage yard and church sales for these items?

If so, which ones? What draws you to this time frame? What amazing finds have you stumbled upon in your search and how do you incorporate these items or furniture into your decor?

I use what is usable, unless the item is meant to be ornamental.

Big fan of HL in general, not only Fiesta.

It all started when I saw a milk crate full of dirty diner china at a thrift store, and asked the price, and they GAVE it to me. I guess no one wanted to clean it up, but it cleaned up fine and I'm still using the items, mostly coffee cups heavy enough to be murder weapons.

I do collect food service china of all makes, and ... Well...Corningware, Pyrex, and so on.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:54 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Does anyone else find Blenda glass ware to be irresistible?

Old 01-18-2015, 09:18 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Does anyone else find Blenda glass ware to be irresistible?
1958 Blenda Glassware Assortment

I hadn't heard of it, but it could become irresistible. This blue set would go nicely with my Colorstax: Vintage Blenda Blue Gold Frosted Glasses with Pitcher Mid Century | eBay

I think I could also find Blenko Glass irresistible: http://listen.sdpb.org/post/behind-scenes-blenko-glass

Old 01-18-2015, 09:21 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
Oh, yeah, ditto there. At first I thought the bowls were FILLED with something. Very cool.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:16 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post

I do collect food service china of all makes, and ... Well...Corningware, Pyrex, and so on.
Here's something you might enjoy...just saw this yesterday on Facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtGXzxxfyw8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques