Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:22 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gametime View Post
And if UT had no drop off in talent due to Mack Brown not recruiting well, they would've beat those teams.

the sooners RARELY have a drop off in talent. Stoops attracted that.

Mack Brown seems to have hidden agendas because he gets dead set on players HE LIKES. which is why Drew Brees sailed under his radar but was playing in his backyard at Westlake. go figure.

Now his agenda(IMO), is to get Case McCoy to the NFL by any means neccessary. because you can bet David Ash will not start the next game. it will be Case, by hook or crook.

Because how is that if UT is the brass of the Big 12, all the blue chip talent goes to Oklahoma? must be something to do with the COACH they want to play for, if you ask me.

How do we let Landry Jones get away to the Sooners, but all we can seem to attract is a little brother of a past QB, and he's considered the best QB on the team?

I smell a RAT.
Jones played in New Mexico 4A, and although highly rated there-- it was still New Mexico. How was anyone supposed to know he'd be this good?

Just look at the teams that tried to recruit him: OU, Colorado, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, Virginia, Wisconsin

None of those besides OU are really legitimate powerhouses on the level of Texas (historically)... (see no Alabama, USC, Florida, Ohio State, Michigan listed there...)

Cut Brown some slack, we have been getting great recruits-- but it just hasn't panned out, I think the problem is in the development of players-- not recruiting

Garrett Gilbert looked way better in HS football than Landy Jones-- but sometimes just because you are good in HS, doesn't mean you can make it in college

Stoops is just better than Brown at developing players... hopefully some of our new coordinators will help with that

Also, the season isn't over yet-- Texas could still go on to win the rest of its games... you never know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 08:58 AM

272 posts, read 208,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Jones played in New Mexico 4A, and although highly rated there-- it was still New Mexico. How was anyone supposed to know he'd be this good?
Well, Garrett Gilbert was very good in highschool, much better than Case but they basically cut him by benching him. and the entire offseason before this season started was all about Case McCoy and Gilbert was already the starter. Basically, Coach Brown demoralized Gilbert before his 2nd season even got started. I can count on my fingers the number of time they discussed Gilbert getting better during the offseason. Even the fans were chanting "Case" and the guy didn't even touch the field yet, fresh out of highschool they were wanting him to be the starter over Gilbert. and Gilbert was the one that saved Colts' sorry behind in the championship game against Nebraska. go figure. I think GG got railroaded and shunned and not supported, which led to his poor play to start this season, ultimately leading to him being benched and transferring.

Quote:
Cut Brown some slack, we have been getting great recruits-- but it just hasn't panned out, I think the problem is in the development of players-- not recruiting
No, it's time to cut him, period. Nobody wants to blame the coach, but it's the coaches job to "coach up" the players. but when a player falters it's their own fault? ok then, by that logic, we need to cut Case AND David Ash and find a better QB since we let the best QB get away (Garrrett Gilbert). You don't hear or see the radio jocks coming down on Case and Ash like they did Gilbert. If Malcolm Williams hadn't dropped that TD in that game, Garrett would have a statue on campus. Fickle Longhorn fans are a mess I tell ya'.

Longhorns fans and radio sports talk called for Garrett Gilberts' head after he threw ONE PICK. but where's the outrage for the super sloppy pick filled games from Ash and McCoy??

the whole time people were dogging Gilbert, I was saying "It'snot him, it's the O-Line, they can't protect him", but now that Ash and McCoy are having the same problems, it's not them it's the O-line...pathetic.

I know this is all about Mack Brown showing favoritism to the Mccoy brothers, it's not hard to tell.

Colt was a wimp for pulling out of the Nebraska game, and his little brother is a horrible QB period.

Let's just hope Garrett Gilbert don't show up on the Sooners, Aggies or any of Texas' rivals' roster or we're gonna eat it. because Garrett Gilbert was and still is the best QB Texas had this year.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Well, Garrett Gilbert was very good in highschool, much better than Case but they basically cut him by benching him. and the entire offseason before this season started was all about Case McCoy and Gilbert was already the starter. Basically, Coach Brown demoralized Gilbert before his 2nd season even got started. I can count on my fingers the number of time they discussed Gilbert getting better during the offseason. Even the fans were chanting "Case" and the guy didn't even touch the field yet, fresh out of highschool they were wanting him to be the starter over Gilbert. and Gilbert was the one that saved Colts' sorry behind in the championship game against Nebraska. go figure. I think GG got railroaded and shunned and not supported, which led to his poor play to start this season, ultimately leading to him being benched and transferring.

No, it's time to cut him, period. Nobody wants to blame the coach, but it's the coaches job to "coach up" the players. but when a player falters it's their own fault? ok then, by that logic, we need to cut Case AND David Ash and find a better QB since we let the best QB get away (Garrrett Gilbert). You don't hear or see the radio jocks coming down on Case and Ash like they did Gilbert. If Malcolm Williams hadn't dropped that TD in that game, Garrett would have a statue on campus. Fickle Longhorn fans are a mess I tell ya'.

Longhorns fans and radio sports talk called for Garrett Gilberts' head after he threw ONE PICK. but where's the outrage for the super sloppy pick filled games from Ash and McCoy??

the whole time people were dogging Gilbert, I was saying "It'snot him, it's the O-Line, they can't protect him", but now that Ash and McCoy are having the same problems, it's not them it's the O-line...pathetic.

I know this is all about Mack Brown showing favoritism to the Mccoy brothers, it's not hard to tell.

Colt was a wimp for pulling out of the Nebraska game, and his little brother is a horrible QB period.

Let's just hope Garrett Gilbert don't show up on the Sooners, Aggies or any of Texas' rivals' roster or we're gonna eat it. because Garrett Gilbert was and still is the best QB Texas had this year.
Um... Which Nebraska game are you talking about? Do you mean the BCS championship against Alabama?

In the Big 12 Championship against Nebraska (2009), Colt played the whole time... so I'm unclear what you are talking about.

Gilberts all time college TD to Interception ratio is 13 to 23. That's all I need to say about his terrible performance in college.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Um... Which Nebraska game are you talking about? Do you mean the BCS championship against Alabama?
I meant the game where Adamakung Suh tapped Colt on the shoulder and he left the game for good...like the wuss that he is..that game.

Quote:
Gilberts all time college TD to Interception ratio is 13 to 23. That's all I need to say about his terrible performance in college.
AND if you watched any of the games, the O-line had him running for his life so the picks he threw came easy for the Defenses.

AND by the end of THIS season I wouldn't be surprised if McCoy and Ash have the same if not more INT's.

Face facts, mack Brown didn't give Gilbert a chance to grow. He was thrown into the mix against Nebraska and almost won it...but the next year he's the goat? makes no sense whatsoever.

After Case McCoy committed to Texas, that's when Gilberts' fate was sealed no matter how good he played.

Fact is, if Gilbert played above board, McCoy would have no chance to play since they are so close in years. It's not hard to tell what's going on, on the 40acres.

Mack Brown favoritism. period.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I meant the game where Adamakung Suh tapped Colt on the shoulder and he left the game for good...like the wuss that he is..that game.
I think you are confused. The only time we played Nebraska when Colt McCoy AND Gilbert Gilbert were here was in the 2009 Big 12 Championship game where we beat them by 1 point off a field goal from Hunter Lawrence in the last second of the game. It was a big deal because Colt was looking at the play clock instead of the game clock and almost let time expire. Colt never left the game... and Gilbert never touched the ball.

Gilbert went in during the Alabama game because Colt was injured. Suh doesn't play for Alabama (he played for Nebraska).

Old 10-19-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
AND if you watched any of the games, the O-line had him running for his life so the picks he threw came easy for the Defenses.

AND by the end of THIS season I wouldn't be surprised if McCoy and Ash have the same if not more INT's.

Face facts, mack Brown didn't give Gilbert a chance to grow. He was thrown into the mix against Nebraska and almost won it...but the next year he's the goat? makes no sense whatsoever.

After Case McCoy committed to Texas, that's when Gilberts' fate was sealed no matter how good he played.

Fact is, if Gilbert played above board, McCoy would have no chance to play since they are so close in years. It's not hard to tell what's going on, on the 40acres.

Mack Brown favoritism. period.
I think it has more to do with Gilbert broadcasting where he is passing before he passes. Watch his head on these plays, as soon as the ball is snapped, he looks towards the receiver immediately instead of looking straight ahead like pro-qb's will.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I think you are confused. The only time we played Nebraska when Colt McCoy AND Gilbert Gilbert were here was in the 2009 Big 12 Championship game where we beat them by 1 point off a field goal from Hunter Lawrence in the last second of the game. It was a big deal because Colt was looking at the play clock instead of the game clock and almost let time expire. Colt never left the game... and Gilbert never touched the ball.

Gilbert went in during the Alabama game because Colt was injured. Suh doesn't play for Alabama (he played for Nebraska).
What game was it where Colt never returned from a supposed shoulder injury after he tried a QB bootleg and Gilbert came in and almost won the game as a red shirt freshmen? the game where Malcolm Williams dropped that sure touchdown? and gilbert threw 2TD's already. THAT GAME. and in that game, Colt never came back in.

what game was that?

Old 10-19-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I think it has more to do with Gilbert broadcasting where he is passing before he passes. Watch his head on these plays, as soon as the ball is snapped, he looks towards the receiver immediately instead of looking straight ahead like pro-qb's will.
Gilbert had subpar WR's when he played for Texas. everybody knows that.

point is, the guy was never given a chance to play a full season or even get his legs under him before Mack "my way or the highway" Brown benched him.

could he at least have waited until Malcolm Brown played a few games with him first?

McCoy throw a couple TD's to DJ Grant and he's crowned UT's God of football.

pitiful.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
What game was it where Colt never returned from a shoulder injurty after he tried a QB bootleg and Gilbert came in and almost won the game as a red shirt freshmen? the game where Malcolm Williams dropped that sure touchdown? and gilbert threw 2TD's already. THAT GAME. and in that game, Colt never came back in.

what game was that?
That was the Alabama game

Old 10-19-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
That was the Alabama game
so where do you get Colt never left the game from?

He never came back into the game. I can still see him and his dad walking back through the tunnel heading to the sidelines...lol...

Were you watching the same game as everybody else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football