Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 09:33 AM

26,528 posts, read 15,097,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Michigan is such an overrated program. They've won one championship since black people were allowed to play and they shared that.
Ummm, Michigan has had black players since literally the 1800s.

Gerald R. Ford famously protested Georgia Tech in the 1930s for refusing to play Michigan, because they had black players.

Michigan has more wins than any other program and their win % the past 50 years or so to your point is still pretty high up there.

Don't be a hater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 10:23 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,039,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Ummm, Michigan has had black players since literally the 1800s.

Gerald R. Ford famously protested Georgia Tech in the 1930s for refusing to play Michigan, because they had black players.

Michigan has more wins than any other program and their win % the past 50 years or so to your point is still pretty high up there.

Don't be a hater.
Michigan and Texas will make a comeback. Harbaugh and Strong are good hires.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:41 AM

675 posts, read 1,415,736 times
Everything in sports can be cyclical. Teams ascend and descend across the years and decades. Lots of factors weigh into it, including coaching. Harbaugh will be a big help for Michigan. Some players will want to go there simply because he has been to the top of the next level- even though he didn't win it he was pretty close.

Attempts to bring skin color into this discussion are simply moronic.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:49 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,290,325 times
Huge hire by Michigan. Watch the recruiting class they bring in for next season. BTW, the athletic department is a separate entity, from the University, so no, tuition will not be going up to pay for him. They are one of only a handful of universities where funding solely lies on the Athletic Department. Student publications, student housing, new construction, UM Health services, and intercollegiate athletics are not funded by tuition costs.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:00 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,334,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Everything in sports can be cyclical. Teams ascend and descend across the years and decades. Lots of factors weigh into it, including coaching. Harbaugh will be a big help for Michigan. Some players will want to go there simply because he has been to the top of the next level- even though he didn't win it he was pretty close.
I agree with this and much of what's written.

Harbaugh's a big catch. For one thing, he can flat out coach, and in the college ranks, he'll have the ability to impose his will on players and the athletic department, which was something that is a lot harder to do in the NFL. In the pros, getting along with people is half the job; finding brainiac, workaholic assistants and mature veteran mentors the other, as well as praying for no major injuries heading into week 8 or 9. At the college level, he will be able to put his fingerprints on everything.

The big part of college coaching is recruiting and maintaining control of the program in the eyes of the NCAA, and Harbaugh has proven he can do that as well. He won't have easy access to the talent-rich pools of the Gulf Coast states, but that's not to say that players from Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Bama, and Florida won't want to play for a proven NFL coach. If anything, it would be a huge bonus, because top talent would know they'd get schooled by someone who came within a catch of a Vince Lombardi trophy.

Harbaugh's got a reputation for being innovative, too. He's not yesterday's coach; he keeps his edge. He keeps his intensity, but more than that, he stays up on the trends of the game and doesn't commit to a particular style of ball.

I think the Big 10 is starting to get good again. Ohio State-Michigan games are going to be must-see television.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:11 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,334,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
All I can think of is "The Super Fans" where instead of "Da Bears" and Ditka it's "Go Blue" and Harbaugh. Question: Mini-Harbaugh vs. da Spartans. How much does Mini-Harbaugh win by? <<interupted by a Chris Farley look-a-like having a heart attack caused by kilbasa in his aorta>>

Maybe Harbaugh doesn't want the job because Michigan is plauged with the same kind of issue that Notre Dame has. They have a lot of people (not necessarily alumns) with a lot of money and ancient football ethoses that don't work or don't apply in modern football sticking their noses in his team and the way he "gets" to coach them. It's a huge minus to taking a job like this and this culture doesn't exist to a large extent in the pro's.
Nah, I couldn't disagree more.

I think Michigan's main problem is the same one that plagued much of the Big 10 schools. The rise of other programs in different parts of the country shuffled their place in the recruiting lunch line, so to speak. I think it took a while for some of these big-name schools like Michigan, Penn State, and Nebraska to accept that recruits weren't going to just sign with them because of their storied history. The coaching went elsewhere, the players started looking at other programs to choose from, and the recruiting networks gradually get as rusty as one of the old rust belt factories.

What we've seen the past three years though has been pretty good for the Big. It started with the hire of Urban Meyer at Ohio State, and I think Penn State made a good hire as well. With Harbaugh, the coaching and recruiting will be more competitive. Really, the hire of Harbaugh for Michigan is a lot like when Alabama got Nick Saban. The program had been occasionally competitive but mostly dormant for about 15 years. We all know what happened next. It almost makes me wonder if someone like Saban wouldn't be egotistical enough to go coach at Nebraska just to see if he could pull it off.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:32 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,039,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post

I think Michigan's main problem is the same one that plagued much of the Big 10 schools. The rise of other programs in different parts of the country shuffled their place in the recruiting lunch line, so to speak. I think it took a while for some of these big-name schools like Michigan, Penn State, and Nebraska to accept that recruits weren't going to just sign with them because of their storied history. The coaching went elsewhere, the players started looking at other programs to choose from, and the recruiting networks gradually get as rusty as one of the old rust belt factories.

What we've seen the past three years though has been pretty good for the Big. It started with the hire of Urban Meyer at Ohio State, and I think Penn State made a good hire as well. With Harbaugh, the coaching and recruiting will be more competitive. Really, the hire of Harbaugh for Michigan is a lot like when Alabama got Nick Saban. The program had been occasionally competitive but mostly dormant for about 15 years. We all know what happened next. It almost makes me wonder if someone like Saban wouldn't be egotistical enough to go coach at Nebraska just to see if he could pull it off.
I can't see nick saban leaving the south. I think he will retire from Alabama.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:26 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,130,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post

And just think Saban started his coaching career at Michigan State.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:30 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,130,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
I can't see nick saban leaving the south. I think he will retire from Alabama.
Saban goes we're the money is how many teams has he coache. He will never be a Bear Bryant, or a Bo, or a Soddy Hayes. He reminds me of Lou Holtz always school skipping.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:57 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,193,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Exactly. I wonder if the OP has any idea how many millions of dollars a year the average Power 5 conference school spends or makes on football?

Michigan's biggest rival, Ohio State, has the largest athletic budget in the country. Last year, the football program produced $57 million in revenue, which accounts for about half of the athletic department's $109 million budget. Source
Your article is seriously outdated. OSU lost its "biggest athletic department" title years ago. The University of Texas is hands down the top money maker.

USA Today | Sports | COLLEGE

But your point is still valid. The big schools spend a ton of money. Too much in my opinion as they allow the cost of sports to continue to escalate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football