Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 04:09 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times

Advertisements

why don't you show the ratings for the iron bowl when neither team is ranked or only one is. I am no more biased than you are.

Being interested in two ranked teams playing is a lot different than being interested in a state rivalry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 04:14 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
why don't you show the ratings for the iron bowl when neither team is ranked or only one is. I am no more biased than you are.

Being interested in two ranked teams playing is a lot different than being interested in a state rivalry.
Because I just told you, it doesn't matter and I don't care. Why don't you show the rankings of any in state rivalry when there are no national post season or playoff implications?

You have to accept the relevance of the SEC and particularly the SEC-West as the toughest division in college football. The dominance of the SEC in national championships over the last decade. And the number of championships won by Alabama and how the Iron Bowl played a big part in whether or not they made it to the post season.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:28 PM

i don't thnk the SEC west is the toughest division, otherwise Bama wouldn't win it almost every year. The conference in general has been pretty bad the last 2 years, poor QB play across the board. SEC is actually a lot like the ACC was in the 1990s, one team kind of owns it.

2 years ago, when we were told that division was so great, most of them lost their bowl games and many of the losses were not competitive ones.

Most of the SEC titles have been by Saban or Meyer. Meyer has won another at Ohio State. It has more to do with the coach than the conference.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:55 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
USC is a private university.
It is still one of the great rivalries in the nation. Come to the LA Metro and you are either USC or UCLA. In my home I am a Trojan and my wife is a Bruin. Not sure how we got together. LOL These teams would play each other both dressed as the home team. That is tradition. USC was even fined for that a few years back because the NCAA did not like it one bit if I remember correctly.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:57 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i don't thnk the SEC west is the toughest division, otherwise Bama wouldn't win it almost every year.

That doesn't make any sense and is just hater reasoning.

Quote:
The conference in general has been pretty bad the last 2 years, poor QB play across the board. SEC is actually a lot like the ACC was in the 1990s, one team kind of owns it.

2 years ago, when we were told that division was so great, most of them lost their bowl games and many of the losses were not competitive ones.

Most of the SEC titles have been by Saban or Meyer. Meyer has won another at Ohio State. It has more to do with the coach than the conference.

Apparently you don't have anything left to say and have moved on to general SEC and Alabama bashing.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:42 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
That doesn't make any sense and is just hater reasoning.

Apparently you don't have anything left to say and have moved on to general SEC and Alabama bashing.
The SECWest is by far the toughest division in college football, and has been for several years.

The Big XII South, while it was still intact, gave the SECWest a run for its money for a few years, but its been out of commission since the Aggies left.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:56 PM

i love how when SEC teams lose bowl games, that can't be said to be evidence it isn't as great as advertised. We were told that division was so great two years ago, and the best teams in it all loss their bowl game. But it is being 'a hater' to point out they lost.

If the SEC west is so competitive, why does Alabama win it almost every year. Auburn only won it a few years ago due to a fluke play at the end of the Bama game. Bama has only lost like 7 games in 6 years. That seems like evidence of a top heavy conference.

I don't hate the teams in Alabama, just don't think their games are appointment television for most people. If they are both ranked or there are playoff implications, people will watch but it isn't about the state rivalry.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:52 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
It is still one of the great rivalries in the nation. Come to the LA Metro and you are either USC or UCLA. In my home I am a Trojan and my wife is a Bruin. Not sure how we got together. LOL These teams would play each other both dressed as the home team. That is tradition. USC was even fined for that a few years back because the NCAA did not like it one bit if I remember correctly.
not sure what you're point is here, Soon? I think USC-UCLA is one of the greatest rivalries around, as is USC-Notre Dame.

but when I started the thread, I specifically said what is the best rivalry between two public universities in the same state.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:42 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
not sure what you're point is here, Soon? I think USC-UCLA is one of the greatest rivalries around, as is USC-Notre Dame.

but when I started the thread, I specifically said what is the best rivalry between two public universities in the same state.
OK, I get that. But you are going to make me work to think of rivalries that are in state with Public schools. I think you mentioned a Utah rivalry as well and I see a Utah BYU rivalry as even bigger in the state.

It is all in fun anyway.

One I can think of from my two years in Iowa was the Cyclones and the Hawkeyes.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:12 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
Bama/Auburn is a rivalry that goes on all year not just when the Iron Bowl is near. That is what makes it different from other rivalries. You can't live in the state and not pick one or the other because people ask you who you like and actually make choices based on it. Weird? Maybe, but it is true. Also, I went to Bama, and yes I hate Auburn football, but I would help an Auburn fan anyway I could. This state sticks together when all is said and done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football