Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 07:51 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
It is not what you see on T.V. or even in the courtroom. For every one hour in the court room there is about 4 hrs outside of the courtroom preparing a case.
I think this ratio is optimistic, at least for most trial attorneys - certainly for civil cases. 1:4 may be possible for some forms of criminal casework, but not for civil or more complex litigation. This is just my impression; I am not a litigator myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 08:51 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
The whole point of law school is to be exposed to all aspects of the law and choose your specialty. Most law school students change their mind at least once after starting.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:31 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I think this ratio is optimistic, at least for most trial attorneys - certainly for civil cases. 1:4 may be possible for some forms of criminal casework, but not for civil or more complex litigation. This is just my impression; I am not a litigator myself.
Not to mention that a fair amount of "time in the court room" may be simply waiting for your case to come up on the docket.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:41 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
The real question is: Do you want to be an entrepreneur for yourself? I’ve worked in law firms (both large and small) for years and real challenge is (1) getting clients in the door and, (2) getting them to pay their bills.

You can’t just hang a shingle in a small city and expect to support yourself. Most people with money and the need for a lawyer already have a lawyer or a firm that they use.

Most law grads fall down because they don’t understand how the profession works. Law school teaches how to think like a lawyer and how to do research. That’s about it. You can’t come out of law school and march into a courtroom. There’s a reason why law firms are quasi-apprenticeship programs. It takes seven years (or more) of being an associate before you really know what you’re doing, especially for something as complicated as litigation.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:27 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The real question is: Do you want to be an entrepreneur for yourself? I’ve worked in law firms (both large and small) for years and real challenge is (1) getting clients in the door and, (2) getting them to pay their bills.

You can’t just hang a shingle in a small city and expect to support yourself. Most people with money and the need for a lawyer already have a lawyer or a firm that they use.

Most law grads fall down because they don’t understand how the profession works. Law school teaches how to think like a lawyer and how to do research. That’s about it. You can’t come out of law school and march into a courtroom. There’s a reason why law firms are quasi-apprenticeship programs. It takes seven years (or more) of being an associate before you really know what you’re doing, especially for something as complicated as litigation.
I strongly disagree. If you are out in the country where the cost of living is low you can certainly make ends meet by getting on court lists and taking contract work from the state. You will not make a lot of money by any stretch of the imagination, but you can support yourself.

Secondly not all litigation is created equal. Maybe it takes that long if you are talking big time superior court, or appellate cases, but I have seen 3Ls that can rock it in district court. While I agree that law school doesn't teach you how to be a lawyer, I think you have a skewed view of litigation towards the high end.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 08-11-2011 at 08:53 PM..

Old 08-13-2011, 10:22 PM

402 posts, read 589,699 times
There's more to personal injury than medical malpractice cases. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Truthfully I recommend waiting until you are in law school. It is amazing how you get clarity once you actually get in the trenches. Right now it would be difficult for you to really be decisive about an area of law unless you are looking into something with patents which requires a certain background.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:41 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,665 times
I know some people have hit on this already, but the concept of being a "trial lawyer" is almost completely dead, except in the criminal arena. You can be a "litigator" but that means that you will spend 90% of your time in the office and 10% in court, taking depositions, etc. If a desk job is not for you, I doubt you will like being an attorney. There may be a potential exception with some low-level criminal defense work (like defending against traffic citations, DWIs, etc.) or prosecuting work, because those cases do go to trial quite often. If you can handle the emotion, family law is another area that at least gets you out of the office more often (being in court, talking to clients, etc.) but it is hard work and doesn't pay much. For better or worse, most legal work is research, writing, reviewing documents, and talking on the phone.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:15 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque101 View Post
You can be a "litigator" but that means that you will spend 90% of your time in the office and 10% in court, taking depositions, etc.
That sounds fine!

Quote:
If a desk job is not for you, I doubt you will like being an attorney.
My current job, which I love, could be called a "desk job" 90% of the time - so that's fine. I'm not really trying to avoid time behind a desk, I just want there to be more to it than just that...

Quote:
There may be a potential exception with some low-level criminal defense work (like defending against traffic citations, DWIs, etc.) or prosecuting work, because those cases do go to trial quite often.
Actually all of that sounds really interesting to me - low level criminal defense might be right up my alley... and I hadn't really considered it. But traffic tickets and other low level crimes? I think I could handle that! Thank you for the feedback!

Old 08-16-2011, 12:18 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I own my own business now, so that part doesn't scare me.

At this point I just need to do some research, and figure out if I have enough passion for this to make it work. I honestly don't know at this point if it's right for me. But I intend to find out!

Old 08-16-2011, 09:49 PM

402 posts, read 589,699 times
Quote:
If you can handle the emotion, family law is another area that at least gets you out of the office more often (being in court, talking to clients, etc.) but it is hard work and doesn't pay much.
Actually family law can be quite lucrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities