Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 03:14 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,560,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You bring up another issue. Paying for school. It's easier to let someone else pay for it. The benefit of private schools.
I have every intention of sending my kids to CC for the first two years simply because of the cost save. I will, literally, shave three years off of the cost of both of my girls educations combined. Also, there are scholarship opportunities available to transfer students. I came out of a CC and won a full scholarship to a private university to study engineering. I would have had nothing in the way of financial aid if I'd gone to a 4 year university first.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,160,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have every intention of sending my kids to CC for the first two years simply because of the cost save. I will, literally, shave three years off of the cost of both of my girls educations combined. Also, there are scholarship opportunities available to transfer students. I came out of a CC and won a full scholarship to a private university to study engineering. I would have had nothing in the way of financial aid if I'd gone to a 4 year university first.
If your child get a full scholarship or financial package to a 4-year school, will you still have them go to CC?

A lot of universities, such as my own, don't allow transfer students at all. So you're limiting your selection.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:27 PM

22,606 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post

What hits me is how many of the Community College students just don't care, are lazy and not so bright.
That is because the students who are caring, driven and smart go elsewhere.

My daughter could have gone to our local CC totally free... but did not. It would not have challenged her at all!

Old 11-29-2011, 03:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,800,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
That is because the students who are caring, driven and smart go elsewhere.

My daughter could have gone to our local CC totally free... but did not. It would not have challenged her at all!
Hmm, I wonder about that. You think Chem 101 or Calculus I, II, and III is any easier at CC than it is at $20K/year U? Other than perhaps a longer semester (18 weeks or so) paces things a little more vs quarters or 16 week semesters but the material is about the same. Same books. The first two years at a U are about the same as the courses at a CC anyway except for maybe engineering and some other more challenging majors.

I think a lot of kids who get two years out of the way at a CC are smarter than kids who spend $40K at a U. When the U kids get out, many are in deep debt vs the CC/State U kids who get owing a lot less or nothing and can immediately start investing instead of paying off the $40K they spent taking generic US History or PE or a bunch of expensive electives.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:37 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,975,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Hmm, I wonder about that. You think Chem 101 or Calculus I, II, and III is any easier at CC than it is at $20K/year U? Other than perhaps a longer semester (18 weeks or so) paces things a little more vs quarters or 16 week semesters but the material is about the same. Same books. The first two years at a U are about the same as the courses at a CC anyway except for maybe engineering and some other more challenging majors.
Books and material might be the same, but expectations and rigors are typically far apart in comparison. I have experience in this.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
This sounds like a multiple success story. I will probably do something similar unless my kids get some sort of scholarship to UCLA or UCSB or some other California university.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:48 PM

22,606 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Quote:
She majored in engineering... and AP'd out of Chem 101, and Calc 1 and 2 (or whatever the intro equivalents are...).
Definitely NOT challenging enough for her....

Old 11-29-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
She majored in engineering... and AP'd out of Chem 101, and Calc 1 and 2 (or whatever the intro equivalents are...).
Definitely NOT challenging enough for her....
Not sure what "not challenging" enough means. The classes are about the same including physics kinetics and E&M.

If she's AP'd out of some of the classes then she essentially AP'd out of some freshman/sophomore courses and would be ready for junior level courses sooner.

When I got my undergrad in engineering, there were 99 required classes of engineering, physics, math and chemistry out of 128 unites to graduate. Most majors are 40 out of 128. There are some freshman and sophomore classes that a person can't take at CC but still, most of the classes are still the same. I attended both a CC and a U during my freshman year because some of the Calculus and Chemistry class were full at the U so I attended two schools simultaneously.

What do I conclude? The classes were basically the same. Neither are any more challenging than the other. Sure, the competition is higher at the U but the material isn't that much different.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:11 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,283,772 times
Quote:
Not sure what "not challenging" enough means. The classes are about the same including physics kinetics and E&M.

If she's AP'd out of some of the classes then she essentially AP'd out of some freshman/sophomore courses and would be ready for junior level courses sooner.

When I got my undergrad in engineering, there were 99 required classes of engineering, physics, math and chemistry out of 128 unites to graduate. Most majors are 40 out of 128. There are some freshman and sophomore classes that a person can't take at CC but still, most of the classes are still the same. I attended both a CC and a U during my freshman year because some of the Calculus and Chemistry class were full at the U so I attended two schools simultaneously.

What do I conclude? The classes were basically the same. Neither are any more challenging than the other. Sure, the competition is higher at the U but the material isn't that much different.
I agree with this to an extent. Some of the classes at a CC are ridiculously easy, while some are more difficult.
The physics II I took at a CC was much harder then it was at my top 10 engineering college.

In both situations, it really depends on the professor teaching the classes. Professors can make classes hard-- or easy-- it really has nothing to do with the college itself.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I agree with this to an extent. Some of the classes at a CC are ridiculously easy, while some are more difficult.
The physics II I took at a CC was much harder then it was at my top 10 engineering college.

In both situations, it really depends on the professor teaching the classes. Professors can make classes hard-- or easy-- it really has nothing to do with the college itself.
Good, so go to a CC, get the right prof, and save $20K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities