Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2012, 10:33 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,136,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Bottom line is that you have to do what does not make you completely miserable. If you are BAD at math, you should NOT go into a math-heavy major, you will just set yourself up for disappointment. Even though the major has a good "return on investment". You will likely not make the cut in the core classes even and end up flunking out of college. What is the point in that?
However, everyone choosing a major that is not considered a "good ROI" major should have some backup skills. and that does not include working retail. BFA-Artists should all consider a marketing minor, this would also benefit them in that they could use the knowledge to better market themselves and their work. As well as serving to get them into a marketing/sales position someday. Art can always be done on the side and weekends, selling at shows, in galleries, etc. I know a LOT of people that do this. Or they do photo-retouching or print production or some other non-glamorous aspect in the art business just to get the benefits.
People with bad "ROI" majors should definitely take into account the cost of their education - moreso than engineering, business, accounting, etc more traditional majors. You do NOT want to get stuck with tons of debt. You will also have to work ALOT harder than others to get a job. Write a history blog, self publish a book in your field, whatever...
I think too many people are focused on getting a job, instead of making their own way. In this new global economy you will likely be working for yourself at some point because the corporations no longer like to have headcount and are very focused on temps and offshoring these days... I think many colleges and universities degree programs really sidestep this very HUGE issue.
Also, I am in a position where I get to look at resumes, and many many people do NOT work in the field where their major is. I see a lot of history and english and sociology majors that are working in the business field and they are doing really well. Many many successful individuals, go on to get more than one bachelors degree or a masters degree. Your education does not stop at getting your bachelors.
Also, I think that most people once they get into a career path, can't possibly decide UNTIL they are IN the field, what options are going to be open to them, what they are good at, and what education you will eventually need. You need to decide later if getting subsequent degrees is a good ROI. Maybe even get your company to pay for it!!
Outstanding and balanced post! Its good to have someone actually giving some well thought out post on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 05:14 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,045,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Are you aware that many colleges award a BA degee in any course of study taken in the college of arts and sciences, or whatever the particular college calls it? Both of my daughters have a BA in biology. One went to a liberal arts college; the other went to the University of Colorado.
Yes, I am aware, but I'd rather not get dragged into nitpicking about semantics. My sister has a B.A in Biology, as well. However, I think we all know what the context of B.A is within the topic being discussed here.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:40 PM

24,128 posts, read 32,512,221 times
Amazed that there are some people out there that actually think that Studio Art or English are easy majors!

With out a portfolio, you will not be accepted into a BFA program. So there are accountants, and allied health majors who are good artists? Good enough to be accepted into an ACAD accredited art program???

I have met pure Math Majors who think writing a paper is anything but easy. In fact, they have come to me for help and attempted to find out ways to "get out of classes that required reading?"

It doesn't mean they are stupid or slackers - it only means that they are gifted differently. As a member of an honor society a certain amount of tutoring was required.

Liberal Arts or Arts degrees with a Supportive Major work well! We don't have a math major or an engineer in my home.

DH and I were both UG Sociology majors and we work in fields that we love.

I have had the opportunity to work fields as diverse as adoption, writing, college teaching, child advocacy, and educational counseling.

I am going back for my second Masters degree and this time, I'm taking it all the way.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Yes, I am aware, but I'd rather not get dragged into nitpicking about semantics. My sister has a B.A in Biology, as well. However, I think we all know what the context of B.A is within the topic being discussed here.
It's not nitpicking, and no, I don't think "we all" know what you are talking about when you differentiate BA and BS.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:43 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,045,423 times
Quote:
It's not nitpicking, and no, I don't think "we all" know what you are talking about when you differentiate BA and BS.
It certainly is nitpicking. What difference does it truly make? This conversation is about marketable vs unmarketable degrees - and since B.Ss are by and large more marketable, BA vs. BS has become shorthand for this debate.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
It certainly is nitpicking. What difference does it truly make? This conversation is about marketable vs unmarketable degrees - and since B.Ss are by and large more marketable, BA vs. BS has become shorthand for this debate.
Who decided that? Did we vote? I don't remember being asked to do so.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:16 PM

148 posts, read 309,806 times
BS or BA - meaningless titles. Is a BA in economics less valuable than a BS in Sociology? A lot of the times it is just a matter of the college/university that grants the degree; the titles mean nothing. Get your facts straight.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-11-2012 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: Removed orphaned quote and rude comment

Old 03-12-2012, 06:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,212,643 times
Quote:
That seems to be your outlook on most everything.
I apologize for thinking about the economics of a situation. I will stop having this attitude and start doing things because they are 'fun' and then suffering with debt for decades because of it.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:07 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,526,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Amazed that there are some people out there that actually think that Studio Art or English are easy majors!

With out a portfolio, you will not be accepted into a BFA program. So there are accountants, and allied health majors who are good artists? Good enough to be accepted into an ACAD accredited art program???

I have met pure Math Majors who think writing a paper is anything but easy. In fact, they have come to me for help and attempted to find out ways to "get out of classes that required reading?"

It doesn't mean they are stupid or slackers - it only means that they are gifted differently. As a member of an honor society a certain amount of tutoring was required.

Liberal Arts or Arts degrees with a Supportive Major work well! We don't have a math major or an engineer in my home.

I have had the opportunity to work fields as diverse as adoption, writing, college teaching, child advocacy, and educational counseling.

I am going back for my second Masters degree and this time, I'm taking it all the way.
Maybe I missed it but what is your income? Any debt on this school for your family?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:38 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,217,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Did you leave out the part where you have an insurmountable debt that strangles your standard of living?

10% of all student loans are in default.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities