Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 02:47 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historygrad View Post
i wish someone would have told me that before i got my degree in history as i thought that i would have options after college. i will say that tex is right, I have also taught and I would say that I am damn good at it.
I enjoyed getting my history degree - and then I went to law school so I could actually get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 03:11 PM

158 posts, read 239,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
I enjoyed getting my history degree - and then I went to law school so I could actually get a job.
You could have taught but I guess that was your choice to not do so...I have also worked for a few NGO. I do not understand why you could not find a job.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
You could have taught but I guess that was your choice to not do so...I have also worked for a few NGO. I do not understand why you could not find a job.
Oh, I've had jobs since I got my degree, they just haven't had anything to do specifically with my degree; compared to degrees that prepare you for a specific job - the remuneration and opportunities just aren't as good.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:03 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times
Quote:
But I'm sure your history education, has its applications in law in a certain way. Its probably a good undergrad degree for those who want go into law.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
I think thats the problem, people just do not respect grammar anymore. I had to correct a paper for a nurse and while I understood the point she was trying to make, the writing was horrible.
I hate calling out my own profession, but a lot of nurses can't write well.

Quote:
My brother got a history degree and had a good career in human resources.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:15 AM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
No one is forcing them to do anything.
I was being hyperbolic is the use of the word "forced", but there are an awful lot of people on this board, not just, this particular thread, think that any degree that is not in the hard sciences, is either worthless, or easy.

The entire thrust of my comments are that they are neither. I know of MANY people with degrees in liberal arts, art, and social science who have done well for themselves.

I do not disparage engineering as a degree, but people have questioned my son's choice to obtain an BFA, followed by an MFA in Art.

That is insulting!

Old 03-11-2012, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I was being hyperbolic is the use of the word "forced", but there are an awful lot of people on this board, not just, this particular thread, think that any degree that is not in the hard sciences, is either worthless, or easy.

The entire thrust of my comments are that they are neither. I know of MANY people with degrees in liberal arts, art, and social science who have done well for themselves.

I do not disparage engineering as a degree, but people have questioned my son's choice to obtain an BFA, followed by an MFA in Art.

That is insulting!
Well, to be honest, they are easier. I went to a University that's ranked in the top 30 worldwide for my B.A, and it wasn't terrifically challenging.

No doubt there are many successful people out there with liberal arts degrees - but with how much time and how much cost goes into getting a degree I think it's unfair to tell a kid "hey, get a degree in whatever interests you!" Then later they find out they have 80,000 dollars in student loans with a 4.5% interest rate, and no real economic advantage to show for it.

The statistics don't lie - people with B.S degrees make more money, have an easier time finding good jobs, and have lower unemployment rates.

Not to pry - but how much time and money has your son spent on school, and what job does he have lined up? My wife has a B.A and a B.S. With the B.S, she had an industry job before she had even graduated.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:31 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
Sheena's son is a senior in HS.

I think employment often has to do with your basic personality. I have two college grads, both with B.A's. One has always been employed and the other has spotty employment.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:48 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,354,812 times
Bottom line is that you have to do what does not make you completely miserable. If you are BAD at math, you should NOT go into a math-heavy major, you will just set yourself up for disappointment. Even though the major has a good "return on investment". You will likely not make the cut in the core classes even and end up flunking out of college. What is the point in that?
However, everyone choosing a major that is not considered a "good ROI" major should have some backup skills. and that does not include working retail. BFA-Artists should all consider a marketing minor, this would also benefit them in that they could use the knowledge to better market themselves and their work. As well as serving to get them into a marketing/sales position someday. Art can always be done on the side and weekends, selling at shows, in galleries, etc. I know a LOT of people that do this. Or they do photo-retouching or print production or some other non-glamorous aspect in the art business just to get the benefits.
People with bad "ROI" majors should definitely take into account the cost of their education - moreso than engineering, business, accounting, etc more traditional majors. You do NOT want to get stuck with tons of debt. You will also have to work ALOT harder than others to get a job. Write a history blog, self publish a book in your field, whatever...
I think too many people are focused on getting a job, instead of making their own way. In this new global economy you will likely be working for yourself at some point because the corporations no longer like to have headcount and are very focused on temps and offshoring these days... I think many colleges and universities degree programs really sidestep this very HUGE issue.
Also, I am in a position where I get to look at resumes, and many many people do NOT work in the field where their major is. I see a lot of history and english and sociology majors that are working in the business field and they are doing really well. Many many successful individuals, go on to get more than one bachelors degree or a masters degree. Your education does not stop at getting your bachelors.
Also, I think that most people once they get into a career path, can't possibly decide UNTIL they are IN the field, what options are going to be open to them, what they are good at, and what education you will eventually need. You need to decide later if getting subsequent degrees is a good ROI. Maybe even get your company to pay for it!!

Last edited by gardener34; 03-11-2012 at 10:04 AM..

Old 03-11-2012, 10:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Knowledge is priceless? I can put a price on my post-highschool knowledge, $82k for undergrad and $110k for grad school.

I did an NPV analysis of each school I looked into, did another calculation estimating my person NPV without going to school and picked the option where that number was highest. Spending tens of thousands of dollars to learn how to draw pictures or write poems is nothing short of stupid.
That seems to be your outlook on most everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You really learn to appreciate free time. I realized once that it had been two weeks since I was outside when the sun was shining.
That has as much to do with living in Pittsburgh, where you can go two weeks w/o much sunshine, as anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Are you familiar with the term debt slavery?

10% of all student loans are in default... 85 billion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Most of that problem are kids who probably never should have went to school.
Also with students going to rip-off for profit "schools", using the term loosely.

Quote:
Well, to be honest, they are easier. I went to a University that's ranked in the top 30 worldwide for my B.A, and it wasn't terrifically challenging.

No doubt there are many successful people out there with liberal arts degrees - but with how much time and how much cost goes into getting a degree I think it's unfair to tell a kid "hey, get a degree in whatever interests you!" Then later they find out they have 80,000 dollars in student loans with a 4.5% interest rate, and no real economic advantage to show for it.

The statistics don't lie - people with B.S degrees make more money, have an easier time finding good jobs, and have lower unemployment rates.

Not to pry - but how much time and money has your son spent on school, and what job does he have lined up? My wife has a B.A and a B.S. With the B.S, she had an industry job before she had even graduated
Are you aware that many colleges award a BA degee in any course of study taken in the college of arts and sciences, or whatever the particular college calls it? Both of my daughters have a BA in biology. One went to a liberal arts college; the other went to the University of Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities