Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:20 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,787 times

Advertisements

He should take it over...it's not about passing classes, it's about understanding the material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 09:31 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
He should complete Calculus while in HS. If he doesn't, then he will need to start from the beginning again. Why? Because every school stops at different places and covers different material in each semester. As to his minor, it should be Applied Math or Statistics. This way he would have the backup skills to work as an actuary.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:27 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Even kid I know who got a 4 or 5 on the AP Calc test went into Calc 2 in college.... even the athletes, even the engineers and science majors.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:29 AM

3,247 posts, read 6,303,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The person he spoke with told him that they are very careful about giving credit for AP classes and that students should take advantage of the AP credits they earn.
This is excellent advice. Have him take Calculus 2. I suggest reviewing the basics of Calculus 1 before classes start. I also suggest that he preview Calc. 2 so it will be easy for him when he gets to college. There are lots of learning resources available to math students these days. There is no reason to sit through a class he has already passed out of. In the old days students only had the professor's lectures,the textbook and Schaum's Calculus. Now there are many ways to learn like youtube, calculus dvds at the library & a near infinite amount of free material on the internet.

MIT 18.01 Single Variable Calculus

MIT 18.02 Multi Variable Calculus

Calculus - Khan Academy

Last edited by capoeira; 07-05-2012 at 03:06 AM..

Old 07-05-2012, 02:46 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,188,113 times
He should go with Calc 2. A 5 on the AP test and pretty good grades - I think he's ready.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:01 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Momma bear,

You are a good mom, but...

you are WAY too involved in your smart son's class decision making. Time to let go.

Are you stressing because he will be moving away for school? Don't worry - he will keep in touch. I can tell.
This right here.

If he's in college he shouldn't have his mom picking his classes for him.

My vote is for calc1, one class isn't the end of the world and it would be less stressful too.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:39 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
I am 26 right now, so not TOO far out of school. I was in the same boat as him...I took AP Calc in 11th grade and tested out of it. I decided to re-take calc 1 and to be honest it was a waste of time (and I only got a 4 on the test!). You have to know calc 1 to take calc 2 anyway, so I would recommend he sign up for calc 2 and just go over the material from AP calc on his own before starting the class. No need to waste a class taking something that he doesn't have to.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:22 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,360,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
My son called the school and spoke with someone from the economics department (the math classes are required). The person he spoke with told him that they are very careful about giving credit for AP classes and that students should take advantage of the AP credits they earn. She also told him that he would know right away if he was in over his head in Calc 2 and that he could change during the drop/add period with no penalty.

I think that since it is his first semester in college and he will be playing football that he should retake Calc 1 because it should be easy for him. He wants to move ahead to Calc 2 because he says it will be boring to retake a class he already took and passed. Ultimately it will be up to him.

Edited to add: The school does have a math placement exam but since he scored a 5 on the AP exam he does not have to take the math placement exam.
Looks like he made his decision. And it's a good one. Why throwaway the opportunity to take Calc 2 if he has the ability to drop/add if it's too much?

Old 07-05-2012, 07:28 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Another thing to think about in college is that you want to protect your GPA, especially in your major courses. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't challenge yourself but just be aware that GPA is everything in college, especially if you want to go on to grad school. They don't look at your transcript like they do for undergrad.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:07 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Another thing to think about in college is that you want to protect your GPA, especially in your major courses. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't challenge yourself but just be aware that GPA is everything in college, especially if you want to go on to grad school. They don't look at your transcript like they do for undergrad.
Yeah, padding the GPA is very important. Employers don't care if you skipped calc 1, but they do care at the difference of a letter grade. When in doubt, play it safe and go for the class that will get you the higher grade. 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities