Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 12:19 AM

4 posts, read 2,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Back then, the lines between the various liberal arts all blurred into each other. And they still do.

Many of our founders studied the liberal arts. Most of our presidents have liberal arts backgrounds. And this is especially true with almost all of our greatest industrial leaders.

Steve Jobs and Bill Gates are both examples of liberal arts majors, although neither obtained degrees. Howard Hughes is another. So was William Hewlett, of Hewlett-Packard, Job's first employer. The list is endless.
Let's also keep in mind that there's a big difference between ivy-league universities and no-name state universities. You can major in Far Eastern Glassware at Harvard and potentially have the right connections to land an eventual 100k+ job. Try doing that at Wichita State University and see if it turns out so well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 05:35 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
Have you not read ANYTHING on here?? Don't do liberal studies! Oh well,its your life to ruin..do it if you want to i guess..

Thats because writing for English and writing for Science are two different things.

That has never been my experience in any of my papers...ever.
The poster you are replying to on the grading of papers is just speculating about how papers are graded. Many college students can't grasp that they are expected to really think prior to (and during) their writing. A paper should be well-researched, organized, and clear. More importantly, it should demonstrate thoughtful analysis.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:05 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
The reason why I chose my major was simply because at the time it was most convenient in terms of accessibility as a full time working adult. I just wanted a degree, period, and the major wasn't too important. I was fine at my job and just needed that paper.

I like that many legit brick and mortar schools these days offer flexible options for working adults to earn their degrees. I'm not only talking about online, but also taking classes in the evenings in accelerated format.

However, what I don't like is that there isn't a lot of options for working adults to earn a more technical/scientific degree.
If you look at many schools that have distance degrees or accelerated evening class formats, the majors are usually things like general studies, communications, or other 'soft' degree.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:44 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameHaze View Post
Let's also keep in mind that there's a big difference between ivy-league universities and no-name state universities. You can major in Far Eastern Glassware at Harvard and potentially have the right connections to land an eventual 100k+ job. Try doing that at Wichita State University and see if it turns out so well.
Do you presume the study of far Eastern Glassware has no intrinsic value of its own, then?

The Ivy League is far from being the only universities that esoteric studies. Every state university has a few, as do many the non-Ivy League private colleges.
Businesses learned long ago that those who go after very esoteric pursuits are most often just exactly what a stagnant company, or a company that has started a downward slide needs. Liberal arts majors learn how to look at subjects from angles that are not obvious. They learn how to connect subtle differences together, in ways others just don't learn or know how to perceive. As a result, they can often find new ways, new procedures, new techniques, and new materials for a company that has become hidebound and no longer can keep up with its competition.

There's no voodoo or some sort of supernatural talents involved; a person with a history degree can research a product's history just as much as the history of a person or a country. Historical research results in now approaches to old problems. The Liberal Arts degrees points the way for engineers and others to follow.
That's exactly why Jobs hired so many of them. He was not a visionary in isolation; he surrounded himself with both liberal arts guys and engineering wonks, and pitted them against each other. And they challenged him right back.

Most of his best and most trusted development guys didn't go to the Ivy League at all. They were home-grown in California's state education system. Some, like Jobs, went to college, learned what they needed and left before graduation to get an early start on their life's direction.

Last edited by banjomike; 01-26-2016 at 10:09 PM..

Old 01-26-2016, 11:54 PM

43 posts, read 39,909 times
If you want a real answer, I just went to college to get laid. I got some poverty healthcare degree because I wanted to have a lot of girls in my class. Yeah healthcare is a good field, but it might as well be liberal arts at the BS level. Most jobs are 30k/year wiping old peoples' asses.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:21 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameHaze View Post
That is not even close to true....

Old 01-27-2016, 07:04 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The reason why I chose my major was simply because at the time it was most convenient in terms of accessibility as a full time working adult. I just wanted a degree, period, and the major wasn't too important. I was fine at my job and just needed that paper.

I like that many legit brick and mortar schools these days offer flexible options for working adults to earn their degrees. I'm not only talking about online, but also taking classes in the evenings in accelerated format.

However, what I don't like is that there isn't a lot of options for working adults to earn a more technical/scientific degree.
If you look at many schools that have distance degrees or accelerated evening class formats, the majors are usually things like general studies, communications, or other 'soft' degree.
As an edu-hobbyist and someone who has participated in distance learning forums for several years, I've literally looked at thousands of online programs. Business administration is, by far, the most commonly-offered online program. I do consider business administration to be a soft major, though. Other business-related degrees, such as accounting, are also easy to find online. Other commonly-offered online programs are psychology, criminal justice, education (mainly at the graduate level), nursing (BSN and MSN), and information technology/information systems. I wouldn't put communications and general studies in the top five. General studies may not even be in top 10. Some of the rarest online programs are English, sociology, political science, physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. That covers most of the most popular liberal arts programs on brick and mortar campuses. ABET-accredited engineering programs are also pretty rare. It's actually easier to find an online computer science program than an online sociology program, especially when you get to the graduate level.

Of course, there is a difference between most popular online degree and most-offered online degree, but I don't think there is much of a difference because schools are interested in offering the most popular degrees online. Most people are going to major in business administration and psychology just like they would on brick and mortar campuses. There aren't many online programs for those who aren't already RNs, but there are more than enough for those who are and are looking to upgrade to a BSN or MSN. Nursing is also one of the most popular degrees in the U.S.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:57 PM

548 posts, read 473,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
That is not even close to true....
Yes it is. You also minor in business and do internships at Asian art dealerships. Then start an import export company catering to high end east Asian art.

I know someone that did exactly this.

She came from a well to do family and made connections at a top ten school that was very impressive to Chinese clients.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:05 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupBro View Post
Yes it is. You also minor in business and do internships at Asian art dealerships. Then start an import export company catering to high end east Asian art.

I know someone that did exactly this.

She came from a well to do family and made connections at a top ten school that was very impressive to Chinese clients.
An Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard.........she would be the exception, not the rule. She would have made those same connections no matter where she went to school if she was driven enough to start this business, not to mention that her family connections probably were more important. Just having a degree from an Ivy League school does NOT guarantee you any kind of job anywhere.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:00 AM

548 posts, read 473,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
An Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard.........she would be the exception, not the rule. She would have made those same connections no matter where she went to school if she was driven enough to start this business, not to mention that her family connections probably were more important. Just having a degree from an Ivy League school does NOT guarantee you any kind of job anywhere.
Nothing guarantees you a job anywhere. Neither I nor the post I responded to said that.

What we said was that a degree from Harvard sure helps a lot more than podunk state university. You underestimate the cache of H in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities