Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2016, 10:30 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,472,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I demanded that all of my sons major in a liberal arts subject, as I did and my wife did.

Liberal arts degrees teach critical thinking and stress writing and communication. Most employers need these skills. A person who has studies Criminal Justice, or Medical Technology has not learned these sills.

College is not trade school.
Criminal justice is an easy major at the undergraduate level, but it's not as applied as people think it is, which is actually the problem because students think it's job training. It's really just a sub-field of sociology with a little bit of law thrown in. It's not unheard of for colleges and universities to treat criminal justice as a liberal art. Some colleges will let you use criminal justice courses for a social science requirement and teach criminal justice out of the school of arts and sciences.

Medical technology programs are heavy on science courses, and you can develop critical thinking skills in science courses because the sciences are liberal arts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 11:40 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Criminal justice is a 2-year degree at the community colleges in my state, not a university degree.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Criminal justice is a 2-year degree at the community colleges in my state, not a university degree.
The University of Pittsburgh has an Administration of Justice major Administration of Justice (BA) | College of General Studies and at least two of their branch campuses have criminal justice majors.

Looking at some other Pennsylvania schools and it appears that Temple, Drexel, Arcadia, Bloomsburg, Cedar Crest, Chestnut Hill College, Delaware Valley College, DeSales University, Edinboro University of Pennsylvania, Elizabethtown College,Gannon University, Gwynedd-Mercy College, Holy Family University, Keystone College,King’s College, Kutztown University of Pennsylvania, La Roche College and others have undergraduate degrees in criminal justice. I'm not saying it is a good major, but colleges are businesses and will offer what the market wants.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Many universities offer a 4-year degree in criminal justice. It is one of the top 10 most popular majors among bachelor degree seekers in the country. There are also masters and PhD programs in criminal justice. I'm earning a PhD in criminal justice and have taught the subject to university students.

Which state are you in?

Old 01-03-2016, 12:32 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,231,566 times
My college had criminal justice as a bachelor's degree too.

To some extent I see subjects like that as the problem. It's pretty useless as its own as a major - if you're smart and competent you're going to go on to grad school in a subject like forensic science so you can actually be a detective or something like that, although communications or anthropology would actually have been more rigorous choices.

Some go on to law school - but again - political science, etc... would have been better.

If you're not so smart and competent but pass a criminal justice program, you'll go on to be admin for a police dept or local gov't, 911 administrator, security manager for a company or something of that nature. We really shouldn't have anything more than 2-year degrees for most criminal justice occupations but now it's a de facto requirement just to be something like a dispatcher or file clerk for the police dept.

Like I said before, the problem is not the liberal arts but college itself. We have a lot more college grads than ever before so the job situation declines in a reative sense for most graduates including the liberal arts ones. Where a history major might have gotten that police dispatcher job, now it goes to someone with a specific degree in criminal justice... because they have the luxury of so many graduates to choose from.

College was never supposed to be for specific job training purposes. It was to create informed citizens. Even in the 19th century expansion, it was to prepare people for advanced industry, industrial management or to create farmer-entrepreneurs and agricultural innovators.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
My college had criminal justice as a bachelor's degree too.

To some extent I see subjects like that as the problem. It's pretty useless as its own as a major - if you're smart and competent you're going to go on to grad school in a subject like forensic science so you can actually be a detective or something like that, although communications or anthropology would actually have been more rigorous choices.
Detectives don't need a degree in forensic science. They don't even need a degree. They don't need extensive scientific training. They are trained on the job. The ones working in the lab are usually not officers and are the ones with degrees in chemistry, biology, or forensic science. Often, detectives are not even the ones collecting the physical evidence; they have evidence technicians and crime scene investigators for that.

A detective or investigator (not including crime scene investigators) is a career progression position. You spend a few years on patrol and promote to detective/investigator either by seniority or a competitive process. Some departments might give extra points for having a degree, but rarely is a specific degree required.

Quote:
Some go on to law school - but again - political science, etc... would have been better.
Political science is not the best degree for getting into law school; it just happens to be the most popular major among aspiring lawyers. What is important for law school is a high GPA and LSAT score. Unfortunately, criminal justice majors tend to have low LSAT scores, but I think this has more to do with the type of person who is attracted to the major.

Quote:
If you're not so smart and competent but pass a criminal justice program, you'll go on to be admin for a police dept or local gov't, 911 administrator, security manager for a company or something of that nature. We really shouldn't have anything more than 2-year degrees for most criminal justice occupations but now it's a de facto requirement just to be something like a dispatcher or file clerk for the police dept.
The overwhelming majority of dispatcher jobs only require a high school diploma and customer service experience. Some agencies might let you substitute the experience requirement with college credits in a related field, but you definitely do not need a degree to become a dispatcher.

Only two states require all peace officers to have an associate's degree, but it does not have to be in criminal justice. Nationally, most police departments don't even require an associate's degree (this includes larger departments). When a degree is required, rarely is a specific degree required. A 4-year degree in criminal justice has the most value in community supervision (parole and probation) where degrees are usually required and various social service jobs in correctional agencies. However, these jobs can be had with degrees in sociology, psychology, human services, social work, etc.

Quote:
Like I said before, the problem is not the liberal arts but college itself. We have a lot more college grads than ever before so the job situation declines in a reative sense for most graduates including the liberal arts ones. Where a history major might have gotten that police dispatcher job, now it goes to someone with a specific degree in criminal justice... because they have the luxury of so many graduates to choose from.
This is not true. See above. Not only have I worked as a law enforcement dispatcher, but I've read research articles on the occupation when doing a literature review for my own study. A degree is rarely required to become a dispatcher. Most dispatchers who have successfully gotten the job do not have a degree. What is most important is experience, performing well during the interview, and scoring high on the civil service exam if one is required.

I would say there are two reasons why someone should get a degree in criminal justice: interest in it as an academic subject or interest in one of the few positions that specifically require a CJ or related degree. CJ majors do not perform better during police academies than other majors (this was proven by two studies), and they probably don't perform better on the job than other majors.

Last edited by L210; 01-03-2016 at 09:26 AM..

Old 01-03-2016, 10:43 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Detectives don't need a degree in forensic science. They don't even need a degree. They don't need extensive scientific training. They are trained on the job. The ones working in the lab are usually not officers and are the ones with degrees in chemistry, biology, or forensic science. Often, detectives are not even the ones collecting the physical evidence; they have evidence technicians and crime scene investigators for that.

A detective or investigator (not including crime scene investigators) is a career progression position. You spend a few years on patrol and promote to detective/investigator either by seniority or a competitive process. Some departments might give extra points for having a degree, but rarely is a specific degree required.

Political science is not the best degree for getting into law school; it just happens to be the most popular major among aspiring lawyers. What is important for law school is a high GPA and LSAT score. Unfortunately, criminal justice majors tend to have low LSAT scores, but I think this has more to do with the type of person who is attracted to the major.

The overwhelming majority of dispatcher jobs only require a high school diploma and customer service experience. Some agencies might let you substitute the experience requirement with college credits in a related field, but you definitely do not need a degree to become a dispatcher.

Only two states require all peace officers to have an associate's degree, but it does not have to be in criminal justice. Nationally, most police departments don't even require an associate's degree (this includes larger departments). When a degree is required, rarely is a specific degree required. A 4-year degree in criminal justice has the most value in community supervision (parole and probation) where degrees are usually required and various social service jobs in correctional agencies. However, these jobs can be had with degrees in sociology, psychology, human services, social work, etc.

This is not true. See above. Not only have I worked as a law enforcement dispatcher, but I've read research articles on the occupation when doing a literature review for my own study. A degree is rarely required to become a dispatcher. Most dispatchers who have successfully gotten the job do not have a degree. What is most important is experience, performing well during the interview, and scoring high on the civil service exam if one is required.

I would say there are two reasons why someone should get a degree in criminal justice: interest in it as an academic subject or interest in one of the few positions that specifically require a CJ or related degree. CJ majors do not perform better during police academies than other majors (this was proven by two studies), and they probably don't perform better on the job than other majors.

Maybe they don't 'require' a 4 year degree, but many places expect at least a 2 year degree then to advance, you need a 4 year degree for police officers. No, the degree doesn't have to be in criminal justice, but that is a likely degree, much like biology or chemistry are the most popular degrees for people going on to medical school. Sure, you can get a job without a degree, but it's easier to get a a job with that degree.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Maybe they don't 'require' a 4 year degree, but many places expect at least a 2 year degree then to advance, you need a 4 year degree for police officers. No, the degree doesn't have to be in criminal justice, but that is a likely degree, much like biology or chemistry are the most popular degrees for people going on to medical school. Sure, you can get a job without a degree, but it's easier to get a a job with that degree.
You do not need a 4-year degree to become a police officer. Only 1% of police departments require a 4-year degree. It can vary by state, but you can expect about half of police officers to have a 4-year degree and about half of those would have completed the degree after becoming a police officer. Whether or not you need a degree to advance varies by department, but departments often use a scoring system that will take into consideration your education, seniority, performance reviews, interview, and test score.

Some police departments will give you a point or two on your civil service test for having a degree, but just having the degree doesn't really do much to make getting a job easier. Police departments tend to be very objective when it comes to hiring. The physical agility test is usually pass/fail; sometimes, they'll rank people by score. A degree won't help you there. Then, you have the written test. Applicants are often ranked based on their written test score if there are a limited number of openings. It's very common for departments to give 5 points for veterans' preference. Again, a degree won't do much for you there. Of the top scorers, they'll bring them in for an interview. This is the most subjective part of hiring. You will be graded based on your answers to the interview questions, not your degree.

I've worked for two law enforcement agencies in a law enforcement and a non-law enforcement position. I've been through the application process for corrections and police officer jobs. What most impressed them was my work experience in security, not my degrees. My work experience is what helped me answer the questions in a satisfactory manner.

The main reason why most police departments do not require a college degree is because they have not been meeting their recruiting goals in the past few years. They are afraid that increasing the educational requirements will reduce the number of qualified applicants. A couple of departments in Texas have dropped their college credit requirements in recent years.

Last edited by L210; 01-03-2016 at 11:06 AM..

Old 01-03-2016, 01:31 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,896 times
I don't think liberal arts are useless, but they are deemed so because of the high unemployment associated with them. The fields are saturated. There is too much supply and not enough demand. Schools have made the degrees too easy to get and STEM degrees too hard to get. Just look at the discrepancy between the average Engineering GPA and average Liberal Arts.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:31 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,231,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I don't think liberal arts are useless, but they are deemed so because of the high unemployment associated with them. The fields are saturated. There is too much supply and not enough demand. Schools have made the degrees too easy to get and STEM degrees too hard to get. Just look at the discrepancy between the average Engineering GPA and average Liberal Arts.
I don't think comparing engineering vs. anything is fair.

Engineering is hard field that not everyone can do and furthermore, not everyone wants to do. In 2012 there were 1.8 million degrees awarded in all fields. That year, there were 83,000 engineering degrees awarded.

nsf.gov - Science and Engineering Degrees: 1966–2012 - NCSES - US National Science Foundation (NSF)

When you're in a field where jobs are in demand and the people that can do them are only 5% of all college graduates, of course that group is going to command higher salaries. I do think there's a problem in engineering in that so few women go into it. The national science organizations seem to be aware of it and trying to do something about it.

It's unfair again to compare engineering, a small field within science, to the "liberal arts" which is a blanket term encompassing more than a dozen disciplines.

In any case, given the stats I think it's a simple problem of too many college graduates in anything and too few jobs. If we increased the number engineering gradates by even as little as 10-20% - an extra 20,000 engineers per year the field would become saturated rapidly and their salaries would drop quickly. https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/...t13_322.10.asp I would argue we don't need ANYWHERE near 1.8 million college graduates per year.

If you want to see what a society looks like when the students are obsessed with STEM and saturated with engineers and other STEM graduates who are under-paid, go to India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities