Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 05:23 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
One correction to your post--IU Kelley School is ranked higher than Ohio State in finance specifically and the entire Business school. It also receives a higher ranking from employers. Not sure of your location, but your name suggests the Chicago area. Lots of Chicago area employers recruit at Kelley.

I wouldn't worry about him not being a direct admit. If his scores are close to the direct admit level (maybe test scores are fine, but GPA is slightly under the requirement, etc.) or he applied after Nov. 1, he can petition the decision.

Chicago area students make up the largest percentage of out-of-state students.

We visited Miami of Ohio about 10 years ago when my daughter was in high school. It reminded me a lot of IU on a smaller scale--trees, the town, etc.
Thanks for your input. Yes, you're right IU Kelley School is the highest ranked - it's an excellent school. It's just no longer on his list as he did not get direct admit, even after appeal. He had the test scores (32 GPA), but not the 3.8 GPA they required (he had 3.7).

We met with Kelley admission reps and they stressed that test scores and GPA was what they looked at. Son mentioned his honors/AP business courses, leadership of business clubs, corporate internship, various intl missions, volunteering, and awards, and the fact he started a successful business two years ago... They said that stuff didn't hold much weight for admissions. Meanwhile, his friend got into Kelley direct admit with a 3.8 GPA, lower ACT, very few AP courses, no extracurriculars/clubs, no volunteering, no leadership positions, no business experience/courses/internships, etc.

It is what it is... But the whole thing made us really appreciate "holistic review process" that was promised by the other business schools, like Ohio State and Penn State. At those schools his GPA was at the low end, but they were willing to look at other criteria.

Indiana did give him 2 pretty good scholarships, honors student status, and did say he should apply again to Kelley once he is a student, but IMO that is too risky a path... I just know too many IU students who had that plan, but couldn't maintain the very high GPA through the Frosh weed out courses and were ultimately forced to pick another non-business major or transfer. They do not tell you this on the tours (and I don't have the exact stats) but based on anecdotal evidence (from lots of IU students) I believe it is very unlikely for a student to get into Kelley if they are not a direct freshman admit.

Anyhow, sorry for the rant - Indiana is a top institution with a beautiful campus, just didn't work out for us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 05:27 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Also, he really did like the campuses of Michigan State and Penn State, but maybe he needs to explore the surrounding towns more...
I'm originally from Pennsylvania, and got into Main Campus, Eberly College of Science, as a freshman back in the 90's, I didn't end up going but probably have gone to over 50 Penn State football games from the time I was 10 to 25, and there's not that much outside of State College, except for farms.

You're basically almost in the exact center of the state. So if your son wants/needs a "big city" locale to do stuff in his free time, it's quite a drive to Pittsburgh or Philadelphia, but doable. If he doesn't mind being somewhat isolated with a lot less distractions, Penn State is a good choice.

State College is your quintessential "college town", I guess Oxford, OH is as well, but Miami University is smaller than Penn State, but closer to bigger cities like Cincinnati or Dayton.

Definitely look into the internship/co-op opportunities. My friend from high school went to Penn State Main for mechanical engineering and spent two semesters doing a co-op, which caused him to finish in 5 years instead of 4, but he truly enjoyed doing it. I think his co-op was with Boeing Helicopters now Boeing Rotorcraft Systems outside of Philly.

Last edited by cjseliga; 02-23-2018 at 06:23 PM..

Old 02-23-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I get what your saying about location.
Correction:

I get what you're saying...

I blame phone autocorrect... And on an Education forum...

Old 02-23-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I'm originally from Pennsylvania, and got into Main Campus, Eberly College of Science, as a freshman back in the 90's, I didn't end up going but probably have gone to over 50 Penn State football games from the time I was 10 to 25, and there's not that much outside of State College, except for farms.

You're basically almost in the exact center of the state. So if your son wants/needs a "big city" locale to do stuff in his free time, it's quite a drive to Pittsburgh or Philadelphia, but doable. If he doesn't mind being somewhat isolated with a lot less distractions, than Penn State is a good choice.

State College is your quintessential "college town", I guess Oxford, OH is as well, but Miami University is smaller than Penn State, but closer to bigger cities like Cincinnati or Dayton.

Definitely look into the internship/co-op opportunities. My friend for high school went to Penn State Main for mechanical engineering and spent two semesters doing a co-op, which caused him to finish in 5 years instead of 4, but he truly enjoyed doing it. I think his co-op was with Boeing Helicopters now Boeing Rotorcraft Systems outside of Philly.
Thanks for your perspective... He does like a quintessential college town that is away from a city. He really liked the PSU campus - green space, the hills, classic architecture, sports/school spirit, and I guess the isolation of the campus from the city (completely different from his environment in Chicago). I do remember on the campus tour last year there was a recurring stat about PSU having the largest internship/job placement programs in the U.S. (or something like that - I'll see if I can find it).

Anyhow, I do think it is between Penn State, Ohio State, and possibly Miami Ohio. Visiting their campuses again will help.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Thanks for your perspective... He does like a quintessential college town that is away from a city. He really liked the PSU campus - green space, the hills, classic architecture, sports/school spirit, and I guess the isolation of the campus from the city (completely different from his environment in Chicago). I do remember on the campus tour last year there was a recurring stat about PSU having the largest internship/job placement programs in the U.S. (or something like that - I'll see if I can find it).

Anyhow, I do think it is between Penn State, Ohio State, and possibly Miami Ohio. Visiting their campuses again will help.
Thanks for your patience with us, OP! I wish you/your son the best!

Old 02-27-2018, 10:05 AM

4,537 posts, read 5,106,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I think most employers view the large state 'flagship' and land grant universities as being similar.

I went to Clemson and I wouldn't say that Clemson has no competition in the state. U of SC is a larger university and it is a good university. My father earned an electrical engineering degree at SC and never had a problem finding a job. It also has the state's public law school, one of the medical schools and a branch of the pharmacy college. College of Charleston, Winthrop, Coastal Carolina, etc are all fine for liberal arts and business majors.

Clemson doesn't emphasize engineering over other programs in my view. It is a comprehensive university. Most universities don't offer engineering so there is a high demand to attend Clemson. I think the business college at Clemson is slightly larger than the engineering college now.

I'm not sure why you say the other universities in nearby states are mediocre but there is nothing wrong with Auburn, NC State, Alabama, etc. They offer engineering and architecture programs that UNC does not offer.

UNC has a very small enrollment for a flagship university in one of the most populated state so it can be very selective. I don't think selectivity is evidence the college is better than other colleges.
Saying those schools are "mediocre" is harsh on my part, they are all good schools where one could receive a quality education. I'm just noting the lack of elite state-U competition, along the lines of a UNC or UVA.

... btw, best of luck to your son in his college choice, GoCUBS1. You are armed with a lot of valuable information and it sounds like you are reaching a reasoned determination.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:11 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
Ok, I don't think UNC or UVA are more elite than UoSC and other southern universities.

UNC does not offer engineering and architecture programs. UofSC, Auburn, Alabama, Miss State, Ole Miss, UGA, etc all offer one or both.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:13 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
How about Case Western Reserve in cleveland ohio or carnegie melon in Pittsburgh (its not a big urban area but is urban where the campus is) or Colorado Mines or Washington University in St Louis. All these are good engineering schools and in cold country.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:25 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,106,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
How about Case Western Reserve in cleveland ohio or carnegie melon in Pittsburgh (its not a big urban area but is urban where the campus is) or Colorado Mines or Washington University in St Louis. All these are good engineering schools and in cold country.
Shout out to Case Western Reserve U! Great school, great, beautiful, cultural and vibrant surroundings in the amazing University Circle section of Cleveland. Convenient and quality public transit, too.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Although this thread is titled "Additional College suggestion for a kid who loves U of Colorado and Penn State?", it started in October 2016. The OP's son is now a senior in high school, and here is the post she bumped this thread with:

Quote:
Thought I would post an update on the final schools on my son's list... Here is the status of the schools he applied to:

Accepted (somewhat ranked below by son's interest level):

Penn State, main - business direct admit
The Ohio State - business direct admit
Miami Ohio - business direct admit
University of Colorado - business direct admit
Michigan State - business direct admit
Montana State - business direct admit
Indiana U - accepted, but not business direct admit

Deferred:

Clemson
University Minnesota, Twin Cities

Denied:

Wisconsin

Still under review:

University of Washington

He has received merit scholarship $ from all the acceptance schools, except Penn State, Ohio State, and Colorado have not notified him yet - though they've communicated the scholarship package should be coming soon.

At this point, I believe Ohio State, Penn State, Miami of Ohio are at the top of his list based on their business programs (see - it's not just about skiing!). Miami Ohio gave him a rather generous scholarship. Ohio State has the highest rankings for the business programs he's interest in.

Since I started this thread in 2016, he has determined he does not want to go into engineering but wants to study in the following areas: finance, accounting, supply chain, real estate, and/or entrepreneurship... He applied to these schools as a finance major.

We have scheduled additional tours/visits to several of these schools.

Anyone have any feedback/experiences with some of these programs?
I personally think it's probably too late (for regular admission this fall) to start adding in other colleges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Regarding rankings: if we're talking US News rankings for "BEST BUSINESS SCHOOLS" those rankings are for MBA/masters programs, and not the undergraduate programs.

Rankings are a starting point for making comparisons, but what a prospective student and parents really need to do after being admitted is dig down further to make their own rankings. I suggested a few things to consider above, but each student/family will have - and should have - their own criteria for ranking the different options in the end.
"We're" not, at least I'm not; I'm talking undergrad.

Quote:
I have appreciated your input on this thread..

Too answer some of your questions:

How far does he want to be from home?

We would like him to stay on the continent - lol. Location isn't really a big issue for him, as long as he's accessible to airports. And I think all the schools are located in areas where family members live so he will have that support too...

How liberal is he (Boulder vs. Miami)?

Politically, son is very conservative. He will debate politics with others - things like safe spaces, gender neutral pronouns, infringements on free speech or gun rights, minimum wage, social welfare programs, extremely liberal teachers, etc. Hopefully, college will help expand his exposure/opinions on some issues...

Does he care about sports?

Yes, he is obsessed with sports. He is a 3 sport HS athlete and will want to play intramural sports. He is a big college sport fan, so will want to attend lots of games/tailgates.

Is cost a factor?

No, because all the schools he applied to are within our budget.

As far as Miami goes...

The vibe of that place fits him - yes, he is preppy and conservative. Those students looked like all his HS friends, so he felt right at home. However I'm hoping he will meet lots of different types of students in college and expand his worldview. Not sure how sheltering of a place Miami is.

Also, he really did like the campuses of Michigan State and Penn State, but maybe he needs to explore the surrounding towns more...
Boulder has a reputation as being very "liberal", but actually, you can pretty much find a group of friends with views like yours no matter what they are. Also, CU isn't *that* bad in sports. There's certainly plenty of tailgating going on there before the football games (not that I would know anything about that, lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities