Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 04:14 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,381,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
High schoolers, parents are wary of Illinois colleges as budget crisis hits schools - Chicago Tribune
Here's an article on the state of public colleges in Illinois. It does a great job explaining why many students are rejecting U of I in favor of other other state schools.
What's interesting is that of all his friends - very good students from a strong IL public high school - I can't even think of one who is applying to U of I...But they all love Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Iowa, and Ohio schools. These schools may have more applicants from our large IL high school than U of I (but I'd have to look at the numbers on this).

Like I said on a previous post, these kids have the impression that U of I doesn't really want/need them, while nearby state schools are wooing them with attractive offers. After talking to parents, it seems like Ohio schools are some of the most accommodating/generous to IL students. I've heard good things about Miami Ohio, Ohio State, Ohio University, University of Cincinnati, etc., and private schools like Oberlin.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 11-19-2017 at 04:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 05:26 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
What's interesting is that of all his friends - very good students from a strong IL public high school - I can't even think of one who is applying to U of I...But they all love Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Iowa, and Ohio schools. These schools may have more applicants from our large IL high school than U of I (but I'd have to look at the numbers on this).

Like I said on a previous post, these kids have the impression that U of I doesn't really want/need them, while nearby state schools are wooing them with attractive offers. After talking to parents, it seems like Ohio schools are some of the most accommodating/generous to IL students. I've heard good things about Miami Ohio, Ohio State, Ohio University, University of Cincinnati, etc., and private schools like Oberlin.
The one positive about the University of Illinois is that they are painfully BLUNT. They will let applicants know if their admission is unlikely. While it seems cruel to some, it is better than wasting a lot of my time.

Most of my friends' children have applied at Illinois but many of them have gone elsewhere.

As for the Ohio schools, there are a lot of them trying to fill spots. Personally, it is hard to recommend the University of Cincinnati due to the safety issues. Dayton has a tuition guarantee program that is interesting. Miami of Ohio is the most selective of the bunch.

I haven't followed this board in years and have not read every post.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:20 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:

My niece spent a year at U of I and didn’t like it much at all. Said pretty much everyone was an engineering major, an international student, or into Greek life- none of which describe her. So it was not a great fit. She is now a happy sophomore at Marquette University in Milwaukee (which is another school that IL students seem to flock to).

Old 11-19-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The one positive about the University of Illinois is that they are painfully BLUNT. They will let applicants know if their admission is unlikely. While it seems cruel to some, it is better than wasting a lot of my time.

Most of my friends' children have applied at Illinois but many of them have gone elsewhere.

As for the Ohio schools, there are a lot of them trying to fill spots. Personally, it is hard to recommend the University of Cincinnati due to the safety issues. Dayton has a tuition guarantee program that is interesting. Miami of Ohio is the most selective of the bunch.

I haven't followed this board in years and have not read every post.
Miami of Ohio is a top choice. We had a wonderful visit there, and attended a Business school roundtable. I really liked that they focus on the undergrad. All classes are taught by professors, and there is only even 1 or 2 masters programs there, as they said they want to keep the focus on the undergrad. They also assign a mentor to the student for all 4 years, who regularly meets with student to plan courses/career. They also have a strong employment/advanced degree placement rate.

And I almost fell over when I found out how much $ we are eligible for at Miami based on son's ACT score (which he didn't even think was that great). There is also new construction everywhere at that school. Really, all the Ohio schools we visited seemed like they were well funded with all the new programs, construction, and generous aid $ (far cry from IL!)...

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 11-19-2017 at 06:34 PM..

Old 11-19-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
My niece spent a year at U of I and didn’t like it much at all. Said pretty much everyone was an engineering major, an international student, or into Greek life- none of which describe her. So it was not a great fit. She is now a happy sophomore at Marquette University in Milwaukee (which is another school that IL students seem to flock to).
This is exactly the feedback we got about U of I... We've just met too many kids who are miserable there. And then every single student we talk to absolutely loves Indiana, Wisconsin, Miami Ohio, and have heard very good things about Marquette too..

Old 11-19-2017, 06:45 PM

3,253 posts, read 2,339,853 times
Which are his safe schools and which are his reach schools?

The diversity essay question isn't looking for any response from a white male. They are hoping to find minority students other than Asians. It's all about their diversity stats. But I'm sure you knew that.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Which are his safe schools and which are his reach schools?

The diversity essay question isn't looking for any response from a white male. They are hoping to find minority students other than Asians. It's all about their diversity stats. But I'm sure you knew that.
The essays he did on diversity were required, so he couldn't just skip it. His essays were beneficial IMO as it allowed him to further highlight his volunteer work with LGBT, Native Americans, and refugees and immigrants. Otherwise, this would have only been a line item in his extracurricular list.

I think his safety/reach schools are (not 100% sure):

- Montana state - safety
- Michigan State - safety
- University of Washington - reach
- University of Minnesota - reach (legacy status)
- University Colorado - target
- University Wisconsin - target/reach (legacy status 2 generations)
- Miami Ohio University - target
- Ohio State - target/reach
- Indiana University - reach for Kelly business school
- Penn State - target
- Clemson - reach

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 11-19-2017 at 08:13 PM..

Old 11-19-2017, 10:04 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
- Montana state - drove through campus
- Michigan State - official full-day tour/met with reps
- University of Washington - drove through campus
- University of Minnesota - drove through campus
- University Colorado - official full-day tour/met with reps
- University Wisconsin - official full-day tour/met with rep
- Miami University - official full-day tour/met with reps
- Ohio State - did not visit, looked good from virtual tour
- Indiana University - official full-day tour/met with reps
- Penn State - official full-day tour/met with reps
- Clemson - did not visit, looked good from virtual tour

He will visit/revisit his preferred schools once accepted.
Just some info on Clemson (daughter is there now). They just completed a new dorm and dining complex last year; another major new dorm, dining, student union complex is under construction (probably about 10 new buildings between the two complexes) and they are breaking ground on a new Business School. Sorry, she's a STEM student, so really don't know much about the business program.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:58 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
This is exactly the feedback we got about U of I... We've just met too many kids who are miserable there. And then every single student we talk to absolutely loves Indiana, Wisconsin, Miami Ohio, and have heard very good things about Marquette too..
My daughter graduated from UW-Madison in May. LOVED it. She was a kiniesiology major/psychology minor (now in graduate school to become an occupational therapist) but had lots of friends in the business school and they all seemed to get great internships in the summer and had plenty of job offers come graduation (well, most had job offers in hand long before graduation!). It’s a top-notch program. I am also very familiar with Kelley and as I’m sure you know, that’s an excellent program as well. I think all of his options are solid- good luck to both of you!

Old 11-20-2017, 03:08 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Engineering is a pretty intense major even at a party school. It will be difficult for him to spend much time on the slopes.

University of Wisconsin - Madison has a similar vibe to Boulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities