Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 08:35 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times

Advertisements

i never said to go to Clemson if snowskiing your favorite hobby. The NC ski resorts are 3 hours or so from Clemson campus so it is not a big deal for the occasional skier. Pitt Chick likes to debate strawmen and she somehow ignored the OP say she is going to add Clemson to her list despite it not being as cold and snowy as other places. The reason is it has a lake and is near mountains. not too many colleges can claim both. I think Clemson may be the only one. i call it a mountain lake resort university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 08:54 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Pitt Chick likes to debate strawmen and she somehow ignored the OP say she is going to add Clemson to her list despite it not being as cold and snowy as other places.
Wow! More things I did not say.
You sure like to make things up about me.... I am bowing out before you get totally obsessed over me!

Old 10-13-2016, 08:57 PM

no you came on here and said that I was insisting on Clemson despite it not being as cold and snowy as other places. that is a mischaracterization of what I posted on this topic. you posted this after the OP said that she was adding Clemson to her list. I suggested like 7 different colleges to look at so how can you argue that I 'insisted' on Clemson.

how can you say I was obsessed with you,, you start litigating my comments on here. i never initiated a conversation with you.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
If he wants to study engineering, you might take a look at South Dakota School of Mines & Technology in Rapid City. It's generally well-ranked (I don't know the latest statistics). The campus is fairly small and definitely not too urban. It's close to the Black Hills, which provides plenty of outdoor recreation in all seasons. The hills aren't as tall as the Rockies, but there is plenty of snow and skiing available, and it's not so far from Denver that you couldn't make a weekend trip.

As for the campus itself, they have been building new dorms and there's been an effort to make the school more a part of the community.
Rapid City is about a six hour drive from Denver, and then it's about 2 hours more to the ski areas. That's not quite a weekend trip.

The OP should encourage her son to look into Colorado State University in Ft. Collins. I think it's too soon for the son to think about specialization within engineering. Lots of students change their minds between senior year in high school and college graduation.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Clemson University. It is similar to Penn State but with warmer weather. I would say Clemson is a lot like UVA's campus as well, except there isn't a lot of overly pretentious greek column architecture. Nice looking old buildings though.

Clemson typically only gets 2 or 3 snowfalls a year though. It is near Blue ridge mountains, right on a lake. The campus has its on lake beach. It is similar to Penn State but with warmer weather.

Penn State has to be pretty brutal place to be in the winter. Clemson gets cold enough with potential for some snow.

here is my original post on this topic. i never say it is as cold and snowy as places up north or assert it is right next to ski resorts, as you characterize it. the main reason that I posted it is Penn State and Clemson are often compared to each other, and the kid apparently liked PSU, and Clemson is near mountains and a good place for person who likes the outdoors, and it has good engineering and business programs. i'm not insisting on anything and the weather data can easily be researched on the internet if that is a non-negotiable thing.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:23 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Rapid City is about a six hour drive from Denver, and then it's about 2 hours more to the ski areas. That's not quite a weekend trip.

The OP should encourage her son to look into Colorado State University in Ft. Collins. I think it's too soon for the son to think about specialization within engineering. Lots of students change their minds between senior year in high school and college graduation.
You could make a long weekend of it. It was merely a suggestion, but if he wants to study business, then he shouldn't go to an engineering college.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:33 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
When I went to college, my father took a map and a compass, drew a circle that included colleges that were not longer than a 4 hour drive from home and said "chose someplace within this area."

And so I did.

Sometimes I wonder if he didn't have the right idea..
My parents said I could go any college I could commute to!

My kids had a choice of any Cal State campus they got accepted to. Having never "gone away to college" myself it seemed like a generous offer to me at the time .

Old 10-14-2016, 05:24 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
not sure if it was mentioned...

but from first post, all of the first impressions were about living there, not the actual academics... why is he attending? For the social life or to learn?

OP mentioned business/engineering school, what do the cities provide in terms of those? If son wants to live in those cities for the nature/scene, he could move there and get a job and experience it. No need to go through college as an excuse for that.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
not sure if it was mentioned...

but from first post, all of the first impressions were about living there, not the actual academics... why is he attending? For the social life or to learn?

OP mentioned business/engineering school, what do the cities provide in terms of those? If son wants to live in those cities for the nature/scene, he could move there and get a job and experience it. No need to go through college as an excuse for that.
The University of Colorado has excellent engineering and business schools.

While I understand getting a look at a number of schools, at some point he's going to have to narrow down, not widen his choices. IMO, one more trip to visit should be enough to get a good picture and have a lot of choices.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:58 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The University of Colorado has excellent engineering and business schools.

While I understand getting a look at a number of schools, at some point he's going to have to narrow down, not widen his choices. IMO, one more trip to visit should be enough to get a good picture and have a lot of choices.
no I know it is a good school, I'm just questioning that "good picture" that students look at when picking a school. They set their sights on the wrong things if they are looking at the social aspect as the deciding factor. They aren't attending college for "social" events, they are there to learn. For me, social life should be number 3 or lower on things to look for when picking a college. First being quality of program, second is quality of opportunity for extracurricular /networking, 3rd is life/affordability
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities