Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 06:45 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,032 times

Advertisements

I believe the Boulder kids that are going to Montana State received A LOT of scholarships. My neighbor only has to pay room and board.

btw, I asked the OP about Montana State because I think it's an interesting finalist compared to the rest of his list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 06:54 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
To address the costs first:
In-state tuition at the U of IL is $15,868/yr
Out-of-state tuition at Montana State is $23,042

As you can see, the difference is $8000 a year, or $32,000 for 4 years.

1. Now I brought up the OP living in Chicago more because of the distance. It is ~1400 miles from Chicago to Bozeman; 21 hours of driving, and keep in mind that's just drive time. It doesn't account for any stops. As my daughter likes to say, "You can eat in the car, you can pee out the window, but you have to stop for gas."
You probably have to stop for an overnight too unless you have 2 or more drivers, who can spell each other with someone driving all night. The least expensive air fare is $536 for a one stop 7 3/4 hr flight.
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...9;r=2018-04-15
https://www.google.com/search?q=chic...hrome&ie=UTF-8

It's ~130 miles from Chicago to Champaign. The stories of people driving Champaign to Chicago in under two hours are legendary.

2. It is February, close to March of the OP's kid's senior year in HS. He needs to be narrowing his options, not adding more to the mix. I see no advantage in going to an average, at best, school when he has gotten into several top-flight schools.

I've never been to Bozeman, though I've been to some other cities in Montana. I'd guess it's typical college town. I lived in Champaign-Urbana for 7 years. While it's nothing geographically, there is a lot to do there.
Sorry for the confusion; my numbers were based off cost-of-attendance (tuition, room, board, books, etc.) not just tuition.

Yes, getting to Bozeman is a haul, whether you're driving (a long time to be in the car) or flying (pricey, small, regional airport). That is certainly a point worthy of consideration.

On that point, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:06 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,939,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post

At this point, I believe Ohio State, Penn State, Miami of Ohio are at the top of his list based on their business programs (see - it's not just about skiing!). Miami Ohio gave him a rather generous scholarship. Ohio State has the highest rankings for the business programs he's interest in.

Since I started this thread in 2016, he has determined he does not want to go into engineering but wants to study in the following areas: finance, accounting, supply chain, real estate, and/or entrepreneurship... He applied to these schools as a finance major.

We have scheduled additional tours/visits to several of these schools.

Anyone have any feedback/experiences with some of these programs?

My only advice is that your son be certain he is comfortable with the OSU vibe regarding rabid sports team support. It is pretty intense and may be difficult to avoid if too intense for your son.

All schools have great reputations.

Congratulations to him!

Old 02-20-2018, 08:39 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
My nephew went to CU (Leeds) and was in a combination bachelors/master's program. He is climbing the career ladder nicely.

Montana State is now the biggie? When my kids were in HS (in the same district as brown_dog_us) the two big out of state hot colleges were Arizona State and U of Washington. Montana State is ranked #204 National Universities. Not where I'd want to pay out of state tuition, certainly not known for their business schools.
I don't think most employers make hiring decisions based on US News rankings.

Graduates of any large 'state 'flagship' university or landgrant university should not have a problem finding a job unless their GPA is really bad.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Montana State is not a flagship. Hiring decisions aren't made based on US News rankings per se, but any of these other schools will look better on the resume.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:59 PM

How do you know how employers will view it?

I also said land grant university. Montana State is a land grant university and the largest university in Montana.

MSU in Bozeman is the flagship of the MSU system in Montana. Uni of Montana is a different system.

Public universities in more rural states are ranked lower because the rankings put a big emphasis on selectivity. Colleges in more populated states are going to be more selective because of the larger population. MSU is a big school relative to the state population.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:19 PM

For whatever reasons, MSU is ranked far below the other schools this student is considering. If you think hiring managers don't know that, think again.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:20 PM

Ok, but you haven't provided any evidence that hiring managers make decisions on how a magazine ranks colleges.

I recommend going to a college that is in the general region of the country that the student would prefer to live in after college. Employers in the region will be familiar with the college and a large alumni base living in the region can also help when looking for a job.

Those rankings don't tell you anything about the qualifications and ability to teach of the professors at the universities, and that is the most important thing in my view.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:52 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Next few months we are visiting: University Wisconsin Madison, Ohio State, Indiana U, Purdue, Valpairaso, University Iowa

Fantastic place. I just don't know about his major in undergrad there.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Ok, but you haven't provided any evidence that hiring managers make decisions on how a magazine ranks colleges.

I recommend going to a college that is in the general region of the country that the student would prefer to live in after college. Employers in the region will be familiar with the college and a large alumni base living in the region can also help when looking for a job.

Those rankings don't tell you anything about the qualifications and ability to teach of the professors at the universities, and that is the most important thing in my view.
And what 17-18 year old knows that? I never considered Colorado when I was in high school, yet I've lived here longer than anywhere else.

Actually they do factor that into their ratings. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's an individual thing, etc, etc, but in general, the ranking of the school does say something about the quality of the education.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...matter/400898/
"According to their results, school choice matters the most for business majors. Those who attended top schools earn 12 percent more than their peers who went to schools that were in the middle of the pack. And grads from those mid-tier institutions earned 6 percent more than their peers who went to the least-selective schools."

It may come as some surprise to you that hiring managers are familiar with the top schools in their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities