Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 01:19 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,601,815 times

Advertisements

One of my classmates penned this for USA Today regarding moving the classroom online.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/5063239002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 01:25 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,360,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
No.

There would be a huge protest if schools were shut down. MANy parents have to WORK DURING THE DAY.

I really don't understand how parents working during the day makes a difference. Do college students really need their parents to be home?

Old 03-21-2020, 04:37 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,006,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
Right now many schools are having their students do work online due to the scare of the pandemic. Will people come to the realization that traditional classrooms are no longer needed? Can this ultimately result in a much needed cost savings in college expenses?
I sure hope not.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Teaching and learning has changed an awful lot over 30 years. For instance, when I was in school back in the 60s-70s, we had no computers. We typed on manual or electric typewriters. Things change.

I agree technology has improved quite a bit... but it hasn't been able to replace in person education and communication, yet. We are learning this first hand as we are forced to work from home. It's incredibly challenging.

Especially for working in teams. You often want to split it up and work on it individually. It's a horrible practice to get into.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:07 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,190,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
I agree technology has improved quite a bit... but it hasn't been able to replace in person education and communication, yet. We are learning this first hand as we are forced to work from home. It's incredibly challenging.

Especially for working in teams. You often want to split it up and work on it individually. It's a horrible practice to get into.
Finding a better way to do things. That's what innovation is all about.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Finding a better way to do things. That's what innovation is all about.

I couldn't agree more. Until there's a better way to provide education, we're stuck with what we know. And that's in-person, interactive learning.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:36 PM

15,608 posts, read 15,740,822 times
Quote:
Right now many schools are having their students do work online due to the scare of the pandemic. Will people come to the realization that traditional classrooms are no longer needed? Can this ultimately result in a much needed cost savings in college expenses?
Are you operating under the assumption that all benefits from college can be achieved off-site via a computer?

That's not at all true.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:39 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,905,966 times
Quote:
I've seen the local data on this and for a highly motivated and above average student it can work well in some ways and some academic areas. And other areas like entry level college math, it ends up being a bloodbath with a 25-40% pass rate for the class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Wrong... Most of these parents CHOOSE to work, often to provide stuff their precious children don't need.... Cable TV, personal devices, huge empty houses, 3 car garage filled with AWD SUV (in warm climates)... Personal lessons in sports the kids will never pursue....
Funny how with so many of the two working parent households around here, it's to live in a two bedroom townhouse where the schools are a little better and you get far lower odds of evening gunshots. The cars in the driveway are 10+ years old. The smartphones are of the 'free with contract' variety and the monthly service cost is inflation-adjusted less than the phone plan with 5 hours of long distance calls from Ma Bell back in 1970.

If anything it's the wealthy here who are most likely to have a stay at home parent- it's become a status symbol to be able to afford a specific type of lifestyle with only one salary.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:07 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,309,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I did online class this weekend for the first time as my MBA program, which is usually in person, had to move virtual. We got by, but online, even with full video conferencing, is no substitute for in person learning.
It’s tough, and in my program (where professors taught full time in class as well as online) the consensus was that it required significantly more effort doing it virtually. And even more so asynchronously.

To do it right the program needs to be set up appropriately. You really can’t take an in-person class and just point a video camera at it. There needs to be a lot more supporting material built up before the course starts to compensate for the lack of interaction. Some courses (like accounting) are easier to do this way than say business ethics or strategic management.

Hopefully this ends soon - otherwise I also hope your program offers you a partial tuition credit back.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:07 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,289,882 times
K-12 still need a teacher/babysitter there all day. College is a different matter. College admins won't allow a permanent shift to online classes. What, and automate themselves out of a career? Not gonna happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities