Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 03:16 PM

14,415 posts, read 14,337,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
Right now many schools are having their students do work online due to the scare of the pandemic. Will people come to the realization that traditional classrooms are no longer needed? Can this ultimately result in a much needed cost savings in college expenses?
I think the brick and mortar school model is superior to online education.

That being said, the cost of attending a college has become unrealistic in many states and any institutions. Perhaps, colleges will take another look at how expensive tuition has become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 04:05 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,187,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Really?

https://www.uis.edu/ion/resources/tu...nline-student/

https://www.acps.k12.va.us/Page/391

https://canvas.park.edu/courses/6524...online-learner

https://citejournal.org/volume-7/iss...-implications/

I got tired responding to your bolded non-fact, now on to educating you about the underlined:

And yet, schools don't get to accept only motivated students, they also are tasked with educating those whom you have dismissed.

And I realize that you're an expert on education practices because you, like most education experts (like that guy over there with a 40 in a paper bag who just pissed himself) went to school.
I have never claimed being an expert, that's you assuming that I did.

Since schools are "tasked," why not try something new and might work out for out them? Not willing, I guess. That's just too much trouble, as are they, unless you can physically be right there on top of them.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:14 PM

45,466 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
I have never claimed being an expert, that's you assuming that I did.

Since schools are "tasked," why not try something new and might work out for out them? Not willing, I guess. That's just too much trouble, as are they, unless you can physically be right there on top of them.
Then don't make statements that imply you are.

Quote:
And this is exactly why some parents need to wake up and start taking action in their kids schooling - like homeschooling/online - get the whole family and maybe even extended fam in on it. Heck, when mom or dad's out of town or on another continent, they can video in and help teach. You don't have to be right there in person at all times to teach or to learn.

Perhaps it's time to change the school year to partially in classroom, partially online.
Quote:
Not much proof on that one.

Most students are motivated by the quality of teaching, environment, plus tools for learning and limited distractions. Those who cannot add 2+2 are often the ones who either care less about learning in any setting or do not have the ability to learn, no matter if it's online or in the classroom.

Some people just don't like the idea of online learning just because it's not brick and mortar, same as it was with the battle of traditional stores vs. online shopping. The way I see it, both can exist. Parents and students should have the option to choose.
Quote:
Well then give 'em computers and let them work from home. It's about time. "Students cannot succeed online" is false information.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:40 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think the brick and mortar school model is superior to online education.

That being said, the cost of attending a college has become unrealistic in many states and any institutions. Perhaps, colleges will take another look at how expensive tuition has become.
This. ^^^^. Both of them. Online tuition is not that much cost effective for comparable schools.

For profit online schools are very expensive, for example, with a low rate of graduation.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:24 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,187,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Then don't make statements that imply you are.
I have not implied anything near expert advice. My observations are in favor of giving online learning more of a chance than it has been given so far. So long.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,333,263 times
No. The teacher unions are too strong to let that happen, many less teachers would be required. When I was a kid in the 1960s we had Spanish classes by closed-circuit TV. Senora Wolf broadcast from a small studio at different times based on the grade level. After a few years when the union contract came up, that ended, and they hired a Spanish teacher at every elementary, 2 or more for Jr. High and High School.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:34 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,787,075 times
No, there is a collaborative part to education that would go missing. For the same reason we don’t all telecommute. I have 2 relatives that are college professors and one is very right wing. They both say it doesn’t work as well.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:29 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,262,482 times
No, too much screen time causes eye strain and headaches.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:10 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,569,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
No, too much screen time causes eye strain and headaches.
And college-approved safe spaces are also under quarantine now as well.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:12 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,358,143 times
Quote:
Well then give 'em computers and let them work from home. It's about time. "Students cannot succeed online" is false information.

The questions is what are we talking about? A 100 level literature course? Sure that can be done online just fine. A college education? A computer, alone, isn't going to cut it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities