Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 06:56 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,562,051 times

Advertisements

My public school district has been incrementally adding 'virtual' learning days in to the school calendar. Online schooling is the desired future of technocrats, my opinion.
It's a future most parents don't want (it reduces needed childhood socialization & interferes with parental work schedules), but unless we actively protest it.. it is coming. Just look at the rapid conversion from traditional college to online classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 09:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
It is definitely already throwing the shortcomings of distance learning into vivid relief.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:26 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
No.

If I had a choice to attend Stanford, UCLA, Harvard, etc. I would’ve done it in a heartbeat.

Online courses are NO substitute for the in-person college experience. Sporting events, fraternities, prestige, exclusivity, parties, friends, networking, etc.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:47 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Sporting events, fraternities, prestige, exclusivity, parties,

Your first 5 are by far the most important and are what make the price tag in higher education worth it today, and what keeps higher education in the USA great again.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:13 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I did a whole master's degree online and can unequivocally say no, it won't. I did it because it was a program that my employer reimbursed, but it was a miserable educational and professional experience. And my A average was certainly not deserved.

I think this will decimate some smaller colleges struggling to hold on, but people still want the college experience, research opportunities, and hands on coursework of traditional classes. I do think many of the "name brand" colleges will dramatically expand their online offerings.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:16 PM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It is definitely already throwing the shortcomings of distance learning into vivid relief.
Yeah, I think that's the side of the coin that's showing more, especially at the secondary and earlier levels.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:02 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, I think that's the side of the coin that's showing more, especially at the secondary and earlier levels.
Absolutely.

I did my master's in the era of online learning, but specifically chose a program that prioritized predominantly on-campus class, brick and mortar instructional design. There were online elements incorporated, but they deliberately did not predominate, and instruction and likely overall learning suffered when we did need to utilize it. It was okay for isolated situations, but not great. And we were adults. It really isn't a wonderful technique for young learners, but it's what we have to work with.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:04 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I did a whole master's degree online and can unequivocally say no, it won't. I did it because it was a program that my employer reimbursed, but it was a miserable educational and professional experience. And my A average was certainly not deserved.

I think this will decimate some smaller colleges struggling to hold on, but people still want the college experience, research opportunities, and hands on coursework of traditional classes. I do think many of the "name brand" colleges will dramatically expand their online offerings.

I had a very similar experience with a master's program. I had classes where the instructor did absolutely no teaching.

Regarding the "name brand" colleges, Arizona State and Penn State are two of the biggest names in online colleges. PSU brands their program Penn State World Campus.

Old 03-26-2020, 02:18 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I agree, but I also believe that this event will do more to improve online learning than it would have over the course of at least a decade under normal conditions.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:04 AM

99 posts, read 50,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
Right now many schools are having their students do work online due to the scare of the pandemic. Will people come to the realization that traditional classrooms are no longer needed? Can this ultimately result in a much needed cost savings in college expenses?
No. It only emphasized why in person learning is so much better in more ways than just pure academics. Some courses can be done online to save money, not whole educational experience.

If families can’t afford to pay and college doesn’t have money to give financial aid, students should be allowed to switch online for a discounted cost to avoid high student debt but if you can pay or get a scholarship, go for in-person experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities