Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 09:51 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,610,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
[/b]

Yes, because in any MBA class there's just soooooo much learning. It is such a difficult degree to achieve, after all.
Hi friend,

Did I say something that caused you to attack the countless hours of work I’ve been doing for the past 12 months?

The doctors, chemists, and engineers in my program don’t echo your sarcastic sentiments. I’m glad you feel compelled to weigh in on whether any learning is going on at top business schools. I can only speak from my personal experience and say that I have in fact learned a tremendous amount, both from my world class professors and from my incredibly diverse and intelligent cohort. I further observed that I am not learning as much in an online format because the personal interaction is mostly gone.

Are you disputing any of this, or just making snarky remarks for no good reason?

Where/what did you get your graduate degree from/in that’s so much more special than my MBA?

Last edited by SkyDog77; 04-28-2020 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 11:32 AM

320 posts, read 557,367 times
Can online learning completely replace courses where in person, the hand-on experience is necessary, such as nursing and engineering? Probably not.

Can you reduce the amount of classes students need to take in-person and still provide students with the same quality of education? Absolutely.

Some will argue that young adults need to be on a physical campus for social interaction. But look at the cost associated with it, thousands of dollars of student loan debt. If the same degree is available to someone online for the fraction of the cost, why not save money? College needs to be about getting in, getting the degrees or certifications you need to be completed as quickly as possible, and moving on with your life. But instead, we build a culture of college to being a time for young adults to live it up before they have to enter the real world, by lounging around in an overpriced dorm all day long, maybe taking some classes in the afternoon, then after class, lounging around on the campus lawn or going back to the dorm to play video games or other non-essential functions, then going out to bars on the weekends or other participating on other social functions and repeating. And God forbid a family sends their child to an out of state school, just so he or she can have new life experience when that increased tuition cost is well out of their affordability.

Most of undergraduate general ed. requirements can be sufficed online, even with a push to more synchronous lectures. Why sit in a 100 seat lecture hall, when you can hear the same information on Zoom?

Let's think about how much college is overpriced as it is. I am for major universities moving towards a hybrid model where most classes are held online, both synchronous and asynchronous, and students will only commute to a physical location for those needed lab and practicum classes. And hopefully, as a result, the cost of college can be significantly reduced.

For those of you who will still argue that an online program can never replace a face to face program, ill say this much. My wife is working on her MBA. She had the option to attend the local state school in person for the degree total of about $37,000. Instead, she chose an online MBA program from another state school for a total cost of about $13,000. Why did she choose the latter? It's simple. The cost! Sure, there may be more networking opportunities through the face to face program, but we as a family don't want the extra amount of debt. We'd rather take that extra amount of money and apply it towards a down payment on a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities