Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 12:12 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,941,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It is definitely already throwing the shortcomings of distance learning into vivid relief.

Yes, the best education comes from a Socratic environment. Meaning an environment with free exchange of ideas and questions between Teacher and Students.

Even my Distance Learning Master's Degree had multiple students in the conference room with a Proctor who had already taken the class. As students we could ask questions of each other for clarification, and the Proctor would contact the Professor for additional clarifications to be relayed back to us the following day. Definitely an in-between method, but far better than sitting alone in front of a laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 01:23 PM

307 posts, read 164,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDivine View Post
No. It only emphasized why in person learning is so much better in more ways than just pure academics. Some courses can be done online to save money, not whole educational experience.

If families can’t afford to pay and college doesn’t have money to give financial aid, students should be allowed to switch online for a discounted cost to avoid high student debt but if you can pay or get a scholarship, go for in-person experience.
Agreed. Online public schooling has already been in place for a while. However, it requires that parents and students be able to organize themselves to complete work and attend online classes independently. Ironically, there is a local group that rented some space so that their kid could attend online school together to get some socialization, academic help, and get out of the house. I think it is a great alternative but most kids and families just aren't equipped for distance learning. IMO, it works best for college and adult learning.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:51 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,500,936 times
I would say it also greatly depends on the major being pursued. Science heavy degrees usually require labs or access to equipment that is not easy to acquire. In those cases, a hands on approach is preferable, if not necessary.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:55 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,028,827 times
Some of my students are reporting major fatigue having SO MUCH screen time now. Think about it: the lectures are all online, the assignments, office hours, and exams are all online. Even the tutoring sessions, to the extent that they exist, are online.

I know that Generation Z is more used to being online all the time, but this is really taking a toll on some of them. I canceled one of my extra computer-based assignments because I realize that's yet more screen time. (And because I don't feel like grading it, but that's different.)

Old 04-20-2020, 01:47 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,147,357 times
My niece is in nursing school. You simply can't learn how to insert an IV or other procedures without physical contact. Same with other degrees like Aviation. Online schooling can only go so far.

Old 04-20-2020, 01:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
Right now many schools are having their students do work online due to the scare of the pandemic. Will people come to the realization that traditional classrooms are no longer needed? Can this ultimately result in a much needed cost savings in college expenses?
Well, a death knell signals an actual death, so no.

And, will brick and mortar schools be abolished in the next few years? No. Perhaps there might be an increase in online schools, but my understanding is that online classes are not fir everyone. I think that optimally, a social component is needed fir best outcomes.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:15 PM

1,010 posts, read 2,462,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
My niece is in nursing school. You simply can't learn how to insert an IV or other procedures without physical contact. Same with other degrees like Aviation. Online schooling can only go so far.
I don't think there's going to be any demand for "Aviation"-related majors anytime in the near future, so that problem has taken care of itself. Just need to do the best that you can with whatever constraints are placed upon you.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:35 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
Our local school district is actually doing a fantastic job at distance ed, considering it had to be implemented in less than a week's turnaround, but it's really not the same as in-person classes. So much of good pedagogy is about tailoring the instruction to the student, and that's really difficult to do when you're not directly interacting with them. Plus doing anything hands-on learning is a logistical nightmare with distance ed. Kids who aren't super proficient readers tend to struggle with even figuring out what the assignments are, let alone completing them, and even in a well-educated area you're going to have kids who aren't reading on-level for some reason or another.

I can see eventually going part-time distance - plenty of the independent work of education could be done solo, like writing papers, drilling facts, independent reading, that sort of thing - but for initial instruction, group work, and hands-on stuff like labs, you really can't beat having all parties in the same room interacting face-to-face.

That's before even considering that too much screen time isn't particularly healthy or developmentally appropriate for kids, especially young kids. Or considering the practical roles schools play in keeping the economy going.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:29 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,356,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Our local school district is actually doing a fantastic job at distance ed, considering it had to be implemented in less than a week's turnaround, but it's really not the same as in-person classes. So much of good pedagogy is about tailoring the instruction to the student, and that's really difficult to do when you're not directly interacting with them. Plus doing anything hands-on learning is a logistical nightmare with distance ed. Kids who aren't super proficient readers tend to struggle with even figuring out what the assignments are, let alone completing them, and even in a well-educated area you're going to have kids who aren't reading on-level for some reason or another.

I can see eventually going part-time distance - plenty of the independent work of education could be done solo, like writing papers, drilling facts, independent reading, that sort of thing - but for initial instruction, group work, and hands-on stuff like labs, you really can't beat having all parties in the same room interacting face-to-face.

That's before even considering that too much screen time isn't particularly healthy or developmentally appropriate for kids, especially young kids. Or considering the practical roles schools play in keeping the economy going.
You can't compare your local school district to a college education. They have very little in common.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:03 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
You can't compare your local school district to a college education. They have very little in common.
Ah, I missed which subforum this was in. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities