Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 06:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And you will be doing bedside nursing for the rest of your work life. Get a BSN.
that comes later. for now we are trying to get all these young people out of daddy's house and away from the $180,000K monster student loan for a useless degree. remember they are pushing 40.
1 in 3 people under 35 live with mommy and daddy. they have no life skills they have no job skills. you get both by living and working.
did you mention that LVN or RN are supervisors? the CNA does the grunt work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 06:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
that comes later. for now we are trying to get all these young people out of daddy's house and away from 180,000K in student loans. remember they are pushing 40.
1 in 3 people under 35 live with mommy and daddy. they have no life skills they have no job skills. you get bothing by living and working.
did you mention that anybody LVN or over is a supervisor? the CNA does the grunt work.
Maybe in a nursing home. The hospitals tend to want BSNs for their head nurses. There is not much job advancement for ADN nurses. They will be "staff nurses" forever.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:43 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,387,720 times
Sorry, I really question how "talented" some of these people are if they choose to work minimum wage jobs due to perceptions of how the job market will be when they finish college.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:20 AM

45,438 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Have to agree with Flyers. How smart are these kids, really, if they don't go to college and take a minimum wage job instead because they see people working at less than optimum jobs in the middle of a recession.
One of the problems is that this generation of students has never seen a recession, unlike those of us who graduated in the 70s or earlier. Many of my college classmates from the late 70s didn't get jobs in their fields until the mid-80s, myself included.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:41 PM

314 posts, read 936,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
that comes later. for now we are trying to get all these young people out of daddy's house and away from the $180,000K monster student loan for a useless degree. remember they are pushing 40.
1 in 3 people under 35 live with mommy and daddy. they have no life skills they have no job skills. you get both by living and working.
did you mention that LVN or RN are supervisors? the CNA does the grunt work.
Thats if you can get a RN job. Right now new grads are having a hell of a hard time getting jobs right now. Google "New RN grads cant get jobs" you will be surprised.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:03 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,893,748 times
I've gotten very angry about the college mess my generation (gen y) is faced with.

From 1900 to the 1980's, college paid off for just about everybody. No one was working at Sears or Montgomery Wards in the 1960's after mortgaging their future. No one was facing bankruptcy at age 24 or 26. What's going on now is insanity. Gen Y wasn't told the truth about college. Everyone in k-12 was all too eager to tell them, happy, happy, happy. Go to college, graduate, be successful.

College Degrees More Expensive, Worth Less in Job Market - TIME

It has nothing to do with playing nintendo or never seeing a recession. They're still telling all too impressionable highschoolers, college is the place to be.

-I see HUGE riots in the future over student debt/lack of jobs. The recent UCLA protests are a small sample.

-They're going to have to forgive/change the rules on student debt defaults.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:19 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I've gotten very angry about the college mess my generation (gen y) is faced with.

From 1900 to the 1980's, college paid off for just about everybody. No one was working at Sears or Montgomery Wards in the 1960's after mortgaging their future. No one was facing bankruptcy at age 24 or 26. What's going on now is insanity. Gen Y wasn't told the truth about college. Everyone in k-12 was all too eager to tell them, happy, happy, happy. Go to college, graduate, be successful.

College Degrees More Expensive, Worth Less in Job Market - TIME

It has nothing to do with playing nintendo or never seeing a recession. They're still telling all too impressionable highschoolers, college is the place to be.

-I see HUGE riots in the future over student debt/lack of jobs. The recent UCLA protests are a small sample.

-They're going to have to forgive/change the rules on student debt defaults.
Couldnt have said it better myself. I will never insist on my kids going to the scam that is college. After a rack of debt, and having took forever to finally find a decent job, its just not worth it. As you said, it has nothing to do with work ethic or video games etc. There just arent enough jobs for everyone who was encouraged (not made) to get a college degree.

They need to start telling highschoolers like it is. "You will go to college while working a job and work hard as hell to get the qualifications that people say you need to get a job that pays living wages someday. You'll accumulate a mountain of debt, and when you graduate, as a new grad, all employers will care about is whether you have 10 years of industry experience. Forget getting a chance to start at entry level and work your way up. There will hardly be any positions open for you to actually get experience. Those jobs that are available will be shipped overseas so that some foreigner can work it, or they will be grandfathered or given to people who know someone inside whichever industry you pursue."

The reality is that no matter how hard we work, even if we were all to graduate with 4.0's in a technical field, that wouldnt land every college student a job in todays world...not even most. The scam that is college is disgraceful imo. In all actuality college degrees just arent worth very much anymore. At best they keep your resume from being thrown directly into the trash.

BTW, they also need to be honest with high school students and tell them that if you arent majoring in Law, Medicine or Engineering, you neednt waste your time with college. Those are more than likely going to be the only fields that actually have a decent hiring rate.

I would suggest that high school students who are thinking about attending college, just go make as many friends as possible instead. It will be the best thing they'll ever do for their future careers.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:22 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,702,126 times
If my kid told me he did not want to go to college, I'd certainly hope he had some excellent business concepts lined up (and some venture investors).

Old 12-14-2009, 06:41 AM

195 posts, read 293,968 times
I understand your arguments but wonder if you encourage people to go to any type of post High School graduate education at all. What types of full time jobs are going to be available to the person who is 18 years old and just out of High School?

(I agree college is not the answer for many people who go, but what is the alternative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Couldnt have said it better myself. I will never insist on my kids going to the scam that is college. After a rack of debt, and having took forever to finally find a decent job, its just not worth it. As you said, it has nothing to do with work ethic or video games etc. There just arent enough jobs for everyone who was encouraged (not made) to get a college degree.

They need to start telling highschoolers like it is. "You will go to college while working a job and work hard as hell to get the qualifications that people say you need to get a job that pays living wages someday. You'll accumulate a mountain of debt, and when you graduate, as a new grad, all employers will care about is whether you have 10 years of industry experience. Forget getting a chance to start at entry level and work your way up. There will hardly be any positions open for you to actually get experience. Those jobs that are available will be shipped overseas so that some foreigner can work it, or they will be grandfathered or given to people who know someone inside whichever industry you pursue."

The reality is that no matter how hard we work, even if we were all to graduate with 4.0's in a technical field, that wouldnt land every college student a job in todays world...not even most. The scam that is college is disgraceful imo. In all actuality college degrees just arent worth very much anymore. At best they keep your resume from being thrown directly into the trash.

BTW, they also need to be honest with high school students and tell them that if you arent majoring in Law, Medicine or Engineering, you neednt waste your time with college. Those are more than likely going to be the only fields that actually have a decent hiring rate.

I would suggest that high school students who are thinking about attending college, just go make as many friends as possible instead. It will be the best thing they'll ever do for their future careers.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:55 AM

5 posts, read 23,610 times
What is really is sad is vocational/ technical education has been downplayed by the goverment for too long. So many students would better off joining union apprenticeship programs or going to two year technical colleges too pick up skills. Automotive, disel,Plumbing, hvac, electronics, electrician, culinary arts, sonography,dental hygeine, Lineman, elevator repair,etc all can be picked up by two year technical colleges or union apprenticeships. And these programs are based after real carees unlike the majority of 4 year college degrees. 80% of students major in liberal arts degrees like popular culture and womens rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities