Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 02:36 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times

Advertisements

I do agree that the location of the power plant is prime real estate for a project like this. But there's no way a functioning plant is going to be removed. Even if it were, some environmental regulations would require 100 years of studying the site to determine suitability for future use. If it weren't for the rail line they could fit it between America the Beautiful Park and Sierra Madre.

A more probable (but still unlikely) alternative is to use the existing city blocks from Cimarron/Sierra Madre and Vermijo/Cascade. There are some business here, but this quadrant is over 50% surface lot already. They could easily fit a AAA ballpark as well as a UFL stadium into this area, with room for a parking structure to boot. Also, the triangle shaped wedge between America the Beautiful and Sierra Madre could be acquired from the railroad and developed into a strip of sports bars, restaurants, even lofts. A pedestrian bridge to the park would be a natural complement to this tidy little package. This would extend downtown's footprint and make a lively addition to an already great front range city.

Strengthening the city's core is the goal here. Putting its new toy way outside of town doesn't help this end.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-06-2011 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 02:57 AM

I think we have different definitions for major league teams. I do not consider a UFL team "major league", but I do consider them professional sports. Much the way the Sky Sox are AAA minor league baseball. But that's really not germane to the discussion.

Regarding the placement in downtown, I believe Colorado Springs could pull it off it it so desired; the MSA has around 650,000 people.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-06-2011 at 09:57 AM..

Old 01-04-2011, 12:32 PM

Colorado Springs could also draw from the southern Denver area, Castle Rock, Parker as well as Fremont County and Pueblo County for potential fan base. It's in a much better position for the UFL to consider awarding an expansion franchise there.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-06-2011 at 09:56 AM..

Old 01-04-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
UFL attendance is averaging about 10,000 and growing as the league gains more support and expands.

I mis-spoke on this one. That number was from its 2009 season. Attendance in 2010 was over 15,000 per game. I think a stadium with 25,000 seats would be an ideal size. Plus it wouldn't be too big to fit in the quadrant that I've already cordoned off for this project.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:29 PM

I think Phase I of my idea begins with getting the Sky Sox downtown to my designated quadrant. We'll refer to this neighborhood as the Pikes Peak Athletic District, or PPAD. (See, I've even come up with a fun name for it.) Now getting the Sox down there into a new stadium is a challenge given the team invested a lot of $$$ into renovating Service Security Field. (Once again, I acknowledge that all of this is speculation for fun, and realize that it is in all likelihood a pipe dream for this reason and reasons like it.)

As the new stadium is built for the Sky Sox in the PPAD, retail spaces, restaurants, sports bars, lofts, and coffee shops will be built alongside it. A parking structure as well. Developers will leave room for the football stadium.

After this phase is completed, the ownership groups in the city could begin the process of courting the UFL for an expansion team. With a thriving new neighborhood downtown, and with designated space for a stadium, the league may be inclined to take a serious look.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:18 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
The USFL at one point had a football team in Colorado although they were in Denver at the old Mile High.
I am not discounting your idea but the UFL may take into consideration a similar failed team in the region
Don't know how I missed this thread. A couple observations:

For three out of the four years the USFL was in existence the Denver Gold was not a failed team at all. They drew nearly 42,000 a game in their first season, and if I'm not mistaken led the league in attendance. In fact, the 1983 USFL Championship game was played in Denver and drew well over 50,000. (not sure of the exact count). How do I know? I was there at the championship game and went to maybe fifteen home games in the 3 years they played at Mile High Stadium (was not a season ticket holder).

Ron Blanding originally owned the Gold franchise and sold it to automobile dealer Doug Spedding and was the only owner who turned his club at a profit at that time. What did the USFL in was the decision to go head to head with the NFL and schedule their games in the Fall season whereas before they had all their games scheduled from April to July. Big mistake. Denver's attendance dropped in half. So did other clubs, some worse than half.

That was their undoing.

Do I think Colorado Springs would be a good fit for the UFL?. Yes. The UFL presently is looking down the road at expansion in cities like Wichita, Des Moines, Salt Lake City, Portland, and Austin according to info I've read online and talk shows I've followed. How fast that happens I don't know. Right now the league has five teams and a sixth was recently named for Hampton Roads, Virginia.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-08-2011 at 09:20 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 01:04 AM

Thanks for joining the discussion, Double H. I would like to know your thoughts on my idea for redeveloping a portion of downtown Colorado Springs for the Sky Sox and the UFL Team. It's easy to say it could work, but I'm curious to see how it could work. I value any ideas from anyone on the subject.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:12 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Don't have a clue regarding downtown to be honest with you, it seems to me that south of town, maybe even south of the power plant would be a logical choice. Maybe one of the Colorado Springs posters could weigh in here and also weigh in regarding who would be in the position to bankroll a team there.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:42 AM

The reason why I don't like building it south of town, north of town, east of town, etc... is because it would create an awesome atmosphere in downtown Colorado Springs. I target the neighborhood just north of the power plant because it essentially extends downtown. My vision is a pedestrian friendly area that encourages early arrival before a game and lingering after. It also provides a central location for residents to come and support their team.
I'm not entirely against suburban development, but this is something that can bring downtown Colorado Springs to the next level.

Like I said, the Sky Sox relocating to a newer stadium in this area could be enough to get it all started.

And I agree that it would be awesome to hear from some of the Colorado Springs residents who may be in tune with the feasibility of our ideas and who is a likely broker for this.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:48 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times
Although I am not from CS (I live in Denver), I am intrigued by this idea. There are some things that you should look at a little more objectively.

Relocating the Sky Sox stadium downtown would have a great impact on the revitalization of the downtown area. The team plays about 70 games a year bringing fans to the area quite often. Sports bars and restaurants would surely follow.

A UFL football team would play 6-8 games a year in its stadium. This is not enough dates to support the sports bars and restaurants. Take a look at the area around Invesco Field in Denver. There is no stadium-related development in the area because of the lack of dates.

A football stadium without the baseball stadium would not bring the desired businesses to downtown CS.

The only way to build a football stadium downtown and make it viable would be to make a multipurpose that would host many different events.

One idea is a 30,000 seat stadium with a (retractable/removable) dome that could hold 35,000 for basketball like the Carrier Dome in Syracuse. Such a facility would be able to host NCAA tournament basketball games. It would also be ideal to host HS football championships, and could bid for other events like the FCS championship game. Including a running track would expand options. Such a space could also host conventions much like the Superdome in New Orleans.

Some UFL drawbacks:
The UFL seeks underserved markets. CS's proximity to Denver and the AFA might not fit the criteria for underserved.

I don't think that including the south Denver suburbs is viable. Unless the Denver stations pick up the games, there is no media exposure to the area, and thus the people in the area are less likely to attend games. Unless I am mistaken, few Metro Denver people attend the Sky Sox games. It would be the same for the UFL.

A reluctance to fund public works projects.

Some positivies:
CS has its own airport to facilitate transportation to the area.

Lots of military means young males-- a key football demographic.

It's kind of fun to speculate.

Last edited by davidv; 01-09-2011 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs