Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 03:58 PM

16 posts, read 25,496 times

Advertisements

thank you and I meant no disrespect to anyone with my comment Its,s just every city has its share of troublesome people ..but you have a amazing city and I understand not wanting new trouble but enjoy the beauty of cos ..there are very very few cities that can brag like you can. I am not saying the other cities I mentioned are all bad but compared to them You are so blessed. guys honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 03:38 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
But like anywhere...it takes all kinds. However, I've yet to meet anyone here I couldn't get along with.
"It takes all kinds of people to make a world, and I'm sure glad I'm not one of them!" Pogo (By the greatly missed Walt Kelly)

Old 07-12-2012, 10:47 AM

26,217 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Item 13. COLO SPGS does have the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo with a Giraffe program that is nationally respected.
Speaking of the Giraffe program at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, there is a new Giraffe; picture #8 is probably the best photo of the young one.

The zoo recently opened a new reptile exhibit, for those who like slithering things.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 AM

20,394 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Awesome! My husband is terrified of snakes. I adore them. And we're going next week!

Old 07-16-2013, 01:53 PM

651 posts, read 863,044 times
I moved to COS 2.5 years ago. I like living here. There are some negatives, but most aren't bad.

it is dry here, there isn't much air, it is pretty hot in the summer, not much water, not many trees (compared to MN) etc.

I like that it is sunny a lot, dry, no flying bugs really, vast, open, etc.

Notice that some positives are also negatives.

I perfer the north west side of the city and that is where I live. Overall the city has good weather, fair taxes, fair pay, etc.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:51 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
Isn't much air?

Old 07-17-2013, 08:57 AM

670 posts, read 1,053,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Isn't much air?
I think they are referring to the altitude

Old 07-17-2013, 10:45 AM

651 posts, read 863,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySkiesAbove View Post
I think they are referring to the altitude

Correct, the air is thin here, not much of it. It's 3PSI less. 11.7PSI atmoshpheric vrs. 14.7

Old 07-18-2013, 10:03 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
Thanks. I feel silly now. I've adjusted to the air enough that I stopped thinking about it. I was thinking more along the lines of having enough space to live and not feel like you're cramped into a POS apartment with a view of a garage door Speaking about oxygen, yeah that certainly is harder to get up here.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:48 PM

38 posts, read 225,215 times
I want to update my thread since I've been living in the Springs for almost 4 years now.

I can't wait to move! Yes, there are some positive aspects of the city, especially compared with other places I've lived. However, it's just not for me anymore. I'll explain why...

Over the last 4 years, I've experienced 2 huge wildfires and one flood that took out 3 parts of the city.
The wind here is so bad that even when you get a sunny and warm day in the winter, you can't go outside for fear of blowing away. The wind and cold remain in effect all the way through May. There is no spring...just winter, then summer for 4 months, then winter again. We just got hammered with a hail storm one week from June. My seedlings and a lot of people's urban farms were destroyed. I'm tired of the negative 10 degree weather in the winter, as well. The weather here is so extreme. Some people like it, even admitting that it's bipolar. I don't like bipolar weather. If it's going to rain, just rain normally. Not torrential flood half the town in 1 hour then dry it up with sunshine the next hour. Too unpredictable for me.

Next, I'm tired of all the crazy people on the roads who don't know how to drive. There are so many people from so many different states, that no one has the same driving style. I wish I could say that most states teach good driving skills, but that is not true. No one knows where they're going and they cause so many accidents (or near accidents) that it's extremely stressful just going 10 min. down the road. People here don't stop at red lights or stop signs, change lanes on solid lines on the highway, and will cut over 3 lanes at the light to make a turn because they JUST realized they were in the wrong lane. No one can drive in rain or snow, either. Some days I just want to ride a horse instead.

Next, I can't take the altitude and the dryness anymore either. I've NEVER had allergies until I moved here and have always been healthy. Since I've moved here, I've gotten sick at least 2x a year, I have allergies and exercise-induced asthma.

Then there's tourist season...I'm sure a lot of people don't mind, but I loathe sitting in stopped traffic, wasting gas, just to get home from hiking because there's only one pass into and out of the mountains and EVERYONE is on it. Summer in the Springs stinks. Way too many people and crowds.

And last but not least, the military presence here is just unbearable. I understand that the US needs a military presence the size of Russia because that's who we are, but to have 3 military installations plus an Academy in a city of 600,000 people is ridiculous. I wouldn't mind if a majority of the people stationed here were decent, but I've had my car spit on, I've gotten almost pushed off the road, cut-off many times, and been given the finger by so many Army guys it's not even funny. And yes, sad but true, they all had southern state plates. They are disrespectful and rude and I don't want to live near it anymore. It's easy to say that about 80% of the population here is either active duty, reserves, vet, or directly related or married to military.

Hopefully, we'll be gone soon...somewhere smaller, away from the city (I'm tired of living in cities) and quiet. Somewhere with some land separating neighbors who despite the distance talk to each other and help each other out (it's called a Community). Somewhere where we can get a sense of peace and pleasant weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs