Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 05:24 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,378,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I know where's the respect in the Springs where's his statue, that man was a god, a genius, compared to Edison. Genius was confirmed when there was evidence to support his OCD, a fine line between genius and madness.
The founder of modern electricity, sadly only gets a pathetic little plaque in memorial park. You wouldn't even know it was there unless you look for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 06:26 AM

146 posts, read 266,575 times
The following quoted from here
http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...rk-live-2.html
by StarrySkiesAbove

"I have not heard anything recent about water issues but yes mountain lions can be an issue and bears as well. It's a wildland interface area, all the front range and the mountain communities are. As population growth places more pressure on wildlife habitat, encounters with wildlife become more common. Just last week a mountain lion snatched a small dog as the owner was walking the dog on a leash on a neighborhood street in the southwest part of Colo Spgs. The year before last Chipeta Park Elementary had to cancel recess outside for a period of time due to mountain lion activity in the area. My friends lost their lab to a mountain lion on their property in Green Mountain Falls, so not just small dogs are prey. Mountain lions have chased joggers in Cheyenne Mountain State Park. The areas you are looking at encroach into their habitat so be aware."

GOOD LORD!!! Strange but true!

Can you carry a hand gun in Colorado Springs?!?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:16 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,525,326 times
Yes you can, open carry is legal, but there are some places where you can't (read the signs before you walk into a business, etc.), and getting a concealed permit may be wiser because although it is common for people to open carry in the nearby national forest, walking around with a gun downtown if you're not a police officer or a cowboy or something may make people nervous, and even more so if you were walking around, say, Academy Blvd or Powers Blvd or some random neighborhood.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:33 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,378,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Yes you can, open carry is legal, but there are some places where you can't (read the signs before you walk into a business, etc.), and getting a concealed permit may be wiser because although it is common for people to open carry in the nearby national forest, walking around with a gun downtown if you're not a police officer or a cowboy or something may make people nervous, and even more so if you were walking around, say, Academy Blvd or Powers Blvd or some random neighborhood.
I do it every single day, everywhere I can, and not one single person has ever been concerned with it. Nobody notices.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:13 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
The founder of modern electricity, sadly only gets a pathetic little plaque in memorial park. You wouldn't even know it was there unless you look for it.
Tesla actually lived in COS. Where's his monument?

Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CABQ View Post

Can you carry a hand gun in Colorado Springs?!?
Affirmative. Open carry legal, concealed carry with a permit. Don't leave home without it.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:07 AM

665 posts, read 1,295,793 times
Here's a strange but true fact. I leave home without a gun everyday, and I still make it back home.

I know, astounding.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:35 AM

812 posts, read 1,470,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I do it every single day, everywhere I can, and not one single person has ever been concerned with it. Nobody notices.
Sorry to burst your gun-loving bubble, but not everybody has an unconditional love of guns and perhaps you're just not noticing the people who discreetly and carefully move away from you and go somewhere else, based on the small but real possibility you're a homicidal maniac.

Multiple times I've been at restaurants etc with my wife and kids when some open-carry dude (always a dude) sits down nearby flashing his pride and joy and my wife gets so stressed/upset we have to (discretely, so as to not upset a potential madman) get up and leave, sometimes mid meal. You may not be a dangerous trigger-happy shooter in need of mental health services, but we don't KNOW whether you are or not, and its just not worth the risk.

Folks have a legal right to open carry, concealed-carry, whatever, but the rest of us also have a legal right to get nervous about your unknown intentions with that weapon and to get as far away from you as possible, as quickly and as discreetly as possible. There's no law against wondering about your sanity, is there? We'd do the same if you were walking into Home Depot or sitting down at a restaurant holding a large sword or a cross-bow or something. Carrying around deadly weapons may be legal, but I'd be careful about happily and blindly assuming you're never disturbing any of your fellow citizens with your decision to do so.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:34 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,525,326 times
It does depend a lot on how someone carries him/herself and behaves with the gun, but I still think concealed carry is a good option to avoid making citizens unnecessarily nervous, etc. Incidentally, the El Paso County sheriff's office has had nearly 7000 applications for concealed carry permits so far in 2013. I think some of those are just to support the principle, but every day you go out and around town, you probably walk past someone carrying without your knowing. My dad does concealed carry on his trips around town just to the grocery store and stuff, and most people would never suspect. I applied for my concealed carry because I like to hike a lot and there's a small chance someday I might need to scare off a bear or mountain lion but I don't want to make people nervous when I'm in a populated area near or in the city.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:49 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Okay, back to "strange but true" stuff about COLO SPGS.

How about the Rockrimmon area, where the occasional smoldering fires of former underground coal mines burn their way to the surface and reportedly melt the soles of sneakers, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs