Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:21 PM

75 posts, read 104,452 times

Advertisements

Yes, altitude will be different. Most people have to adjust to a higher altitude. When entertainers come to sing they usually complain of being short of breath when they sing or play an instrument. You can get altitude sickness where you feel dizzy and lightheaded. Drink plenty of water because you can get deyhydrated easily. If you live in Colorado Springs 6,035 ft. or Pueblo 4,692 ft. they are not as high as some of the surrounding areas. Black Forest near Colorado Springs is 7,500 ft or Woodland Park at 8,293 ft. You will get use to the altitude and before long you won't even notice the difference. Wear sun screen though because you can get sunburned easier at a higher elevation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 09:30 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I second otowi in suggesting the Security-Widefield and Fountain part of town. It's not to be confused with what people refer to as the "SE" part of town which is higher crime and bad...we have some really nice communities down there. And in general, you can easily tell just by looking at them if they are nicer or not so much, although even our older and humbler parts of Security aren't so much ghetto as they are simply very working class. It all depends on how much you can afford, what you're used to, and what you're looking for. But I suggest it because it's sometimes slightly warmer down that way compared to up in the hills, we don't have problems with wildfires or flooding or mudslides or anything, just some tumbleweeds. And one thing no one mentioned to you about Pueblo, it's so far out on the flat dusty plains that they have much more of a dust storm problem than Colorado Springs tends to, even out on the SE fringes where I'm at. I hear about dust storms down near Pueblo every time the wind gets going, and we have some really REALLY windy days sometimes. Also, unlike Pueblo (I think?) Security-Widefield and Fountain have some really nice mountain views if your house is situated properly you can get in on that.

As for altitude: Everything LadyDonna said. Not only will you need to acclimate to altitude, but also the drier climate. It will irritate your sinuses a little at first, and you will need to use LOTS of lotion and drink LOTS of water. I also grew up in VA (Manassas/Woodbridge/Dale City/Fredericksburg, and I still visit friends in Richmond all the time)...so I know of what I speak. VA is humid. CO is the complete opposite of that. Did you know we also don't have bugs like VA? Well, we don't. That's pretty nice. There are a few, but they don't tend to easily infest places like the fleas or whatever do sometimes in VA. DO NOT attempt to drive, hike, or ride the Cog Train up into the mountains until you're acclimated, that's another bit of advice I give people. It's a bit of a tourist draw, but if you get altitude sickness, you're gonna have a bad day. Depending on your health and such, it can take anywhere from a couple weeks to a few months to get fully acclimated. You'll know you're there when you can hop up a flight of stairs (a normal one, not the Manitou Incline) without having to sit down and wait for the fatigue, dizziness, and breathlessness to go away.

As for schools...much of that depends upon your personal priorities. Everyone says D20 is "the best" and when it comes to straight up test scores, their only competition (that I know of) is D12. Those are the generally wealthier and trendier north and west parts of town...BUT. D11, at least the good parts, I think of as being innovative and doing interesting things with arts and technology. D8 (Fountain) has a good reputation as well. And D3 (Security-Widefield, where my kids go to school) has high diversity and some of the best orchestra programs in the state. Music is a big deal to my family and my sons, so that was a big part of my choice.

The standard issue bottom line advice is to rent for a year or more when you get here. During that time, you can explore and think about what you're really after. Then you can either move into a different rental or buy a house, or stay where you're at...as it suits you.

Best of luck!!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
Well done sonic.

I can confirm that the views of the mountain from Pueblo are not near as majestic due to how far away the mountains are. I've been down there a few times, and while I like some of the areas, the mountains just aren't as evident. I love mountains

Old 01-15-2014, 01:09 PM

7 posts, read 7,677 times
What is the best way to adjust to the altitude if visiting from near sea level?

Old 01-15-2014, 02:22 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Drink lots of water, and take it easy. Don't plan anything too strenuous.

It's harder if you smoke, are out of shape, or have respiratory or certain other health problems (like certain heart conditions.)

Old 01-15-2014, 02:58 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,940 times
Many people also have headaches until they adjust to the altitude here. Also, the lack of humidity is an adjustment for some causing dry skin and sometimes even minor nose bleeds.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:18 AM

7 posts, read 7,677 times
Thanks for the info. I did not realize drinking water was important.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:49 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdove72 View Post
Will be uprooting my family from Winchester, VA to the state of Colorado probably sometime this year. I have preferred Pueblo, due primarily to COL and location. I prefer the drier and warmer climate of Pueblo, and my desire is to live there, enjoying the very low property values and perhaps getting a better job, knowing that the job market in Pueblo is not the greatest from reading here, in Colorado Springs and commuting. My wife seems to be interested in cutting Pueblo out of the equation and simply living in Colorado Springs. So basically my question is, is which is the most viable way of operating, living in Pueblo and commuting to CS, or just cutting the middle man out and living and working in CS. I will be sole set income in this decision, and its just my wife and my two year old son. Any thoughts on this would be of great help to me.
I love Pueblo and hate Colorado Springs but if you are going to work in Colorado Springs you might as well live there if you can. I think it would be easier them commuting every day.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:39 PM

11 posts, read 31,696 times
Headed out to New Mexico with my wife and son to visit my father in law in Tucumcari, NM this Saturday or Sunday. Its a two week vacation, so we will be checking out Pueblo and Co. Springs the second week. Looking forward to checking out our future home.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:47 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdove72 View Post
Headed out to New Mexico with my wife and son to visit my father in law in Tucumcari, NM this Saturday or Sunday. Its a two week vacation, so we will be checking out Pueblo and Co. Springs the second week. Looking forward to checking out our future home.
If you want any advise on things to see in Pueblo let me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs