Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 07:19 AM

665 posts, read 1,295,585 times

Advertisements

Liquor laws are known to be goofy and outdated in many states. In SC you can only by hard liquor until 7pm I believe, but you can buy beer 24 hours. Makes zero sense. Some states the prices are set by the government or ABC stores. In OH grocery stores they sell half strength liquor. Who wants watered down booze? And here in CO we have the no chains law and the 3.2 law. Those don't make much sense to me either. Liquor stores can indeed thrive amongst normal competition. My parents have one store in MO that has been in business for 42 years and recently sold another liquor store they owned for 20 years at a nice profit. There is no 3.2 law there and grocery stores can sell everything a liquor store can. They've always done well because they truly were that Mom and Pop store. They are there a lot. The customers are more like family. They have a bird and bring their dog to work daily, which the customers absolutely love. They are truly a staple in their community and are an excellent example of successful small business owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 11:46 AM

930 posts, read 1,655,022 times
My sister, who lives in Philadelphia, tries to buy all her alcohol in Delaware. There's a law on the books dating to the 1930s after a terrible flood, and a tax was put onto alcohol in order to pay for the destruction of the flood. So that never went away- and then there's some funky rule about buying in six packs? I don't know. All I know is I'd never drink alcohol in Pennsylvania if I didn't live by a border state. Too much trouble and too expensive.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:21 PM

214 posts, read 1,310,405 times
Heard from my mother today that the TJs in going in next year. Been a long battle for them...She's early looking forward to spending some money there as well as the big box chains. Always enjoys our runs to the store when she visits us in Phoenix. My bet is the place will be packed, especially given the location with a younger crowd.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:22 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
One outlet for Trader Joe's opened today in Colorado Springs, complete with police to manage the traffic surge. TV reports say 85% of employees are locals, jobs we didn't have before. The line at the door to get in at opening time began forming well before dawn.

For those who wonder what's the deal that makes TJs so popular, the following may help explain the attraction:

Story from TV-11 is here.
Excerpts:
- What makes Trader Joe's different is that they have about 3,000 products under their own private label. Every week, they add around 12 new items to the shelves. The reason they are able to do this is because they buy from manufacturers, not distributors.
- 11 News was given a chance to view some fall-themed products: Pumpkin-Cranberry Crisps, Pumpkin Spice Salted Caramel, Pumpkin Butter, Pumpkin Soup. All exclusive to Trader Joe's, all at prices the general public can afford.
- For many, shopping at Trader Joe's is fun, as opposed to a chore.

Much more info in the article.

If you've never been to a TJs, keep an open mind and go give it a try. It's not pricey like Whole Foods and there are some really good eateries at University Village too.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:14 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times
We have several TJ's here in the Tucson area. I just love shopping there for the out of the ordinary things they have. I do most of my everyday shopping at our local Safeway or Albertson's, but for fun, unusual things, I love TJ's. One of the managers of your new TJ's is the son of friends of ours here in Tucson. It's a small world!

Old 10-12-2014, 03:11 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Went there today - didn't stay long because it is still very busy, but I can now say I've finally tried Cookie Butter - pretty good!

Old 10-15-2014, 08:27 AM

409 posts, read 704,328 times
Definitely go in the middle of the day. Still busy, but I didn't have to wait for a cash register. And everybody is pretty cheerful and polite.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:31 AM

409 posts, read 704,328 times
And I don't get the Cookie Butter craze. There's a Biscoff cookie butter that's pretty much the same sold in the regular grocery stores, but you don't see that flying off the shelves. TJs has managed to get people to buy products at their store that people would never buy at a regular grocery store. Excellent marketing...

Old 10-15-2014, 08:40 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
I think that makes 6 TJs in Colorado now. One opened last month at 7th and Grant in Denver. The one on Colorado Blvd. is still to busy at times though. I've heard they're still scouting new locations.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:05 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Having gone through the TJ's craze in the D.C. area, and now here, here's my conclusion: you either adore TJ's or you go and try it and stand there shaking your head not getting what all the fuss is about. There was a TJ's right next to the apartment building where I was living in northern Virginia. Occasionally I would walk over if I was looking for some oddball ite. But mostly, I just didn't get what all the fuss is about. But, to those who like it, knock yourselves out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs