Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 05:27 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
It's not like it blows you away whenever you set foot in there. But if you shop there regularly you come to appreciate (and eventually crave) some of the quality, proprietary offerings they have there. The thing I miss most is their wine… and I'm not talking about $2-3 Chuck. Hopefully the one in COS ends up having a liquor store with it that offers things like Black Mountain and some of the other producers I recall.
They can not sell wine in Colorado unless they have a separate store. I think my issue was I do not like to cook so everything I need is at Safeway or King Soopers. If I want gourmet food I go out to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 08:39 PM

409 posts, read 704,328 times
I like TJs for their nuts, and a lot of their bulk snacks. They also have cereal pretty cheap - some other brands are repackaged as the TJs brand, and sold cheaper that way. Also, cheese. If you need cheese, there's no cheaper way to get a bunch of good cheeses for relatively cheap.

I'm fond of many of their specialty goods - some of their chocolate treats are to die for - but for me, it's the relative cheapness of many staples that makes them a great place to shop.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:51 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
They can not sell wine in Colorado unless they have a separate store.
Which is why I said… "Hopefully the one in COS ends up having a liquor store with it"
…like the one in downtown Denver does.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:00 AM

665 posts, read 1,295,585 times
I believe the way the liquor law works is that no one can own a chain of liquor stores. So that's why places like TJ's, Walgreens, and Costco either don't sell it or have a separate store owned by someone else.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:32 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
I believe the way the liquor law works is that no one can own a chain of liquor stores. So that's why places like TJ's, Walgreens, and Costco either don't sell it or have a separate store owned by someone else.
I thought it was because you can only sell things with 3.2 or lower AC anywhere besides a liquor store here. What I really need to know is if that store up in Denver (the one with a seperate liquor store) actually sells Trader Joes' specific wines like Charles Shaw or Black Mountain (and many others) or are they just a regular liquor store poaching off the TJ's signage.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:13 PM

481 posts, read 1,301,112 times
Trader Joe's to open Boulder store on Valentine's Day - Boulder Daily Camera

"Per Colorado law, which limits grocery stores to one liquor license, the only Trader Joe's location in the state that will sell wine, beer and spirits is the company's store at Eighth and Colorado avenues in Denver."

A somewhat older article from the Boulder Daily Camera, but perhaps this answers your question about TJ's liquor.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:20 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Which is why I said… "Hopefully the one in COS ends up having a liquor store with it"
…like the one in downtown Denver does.
Even the Costco on Powers has a liquor store near it, BUT it doesn't sell kirkland brand wine. I would assume TJ would be the same.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
Even the Costco on Powers has a liquor store near it, BUT it doesn't sell kirkland brand wine. I would assume TJ would be the same.
Colorado liquor laws only allow a chain grocery/department/wholesale store to have one liquor license for the entire chain. The Costco on Quincy and Wadsworth in Denver got that one license and sells Kirkland brand liquids along with having a full liquor store. It's a weird, arcane law but every time it comes up in legislature to change it, it gets shot down.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:43 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
Both Costcos in COLO SPGS have liquor stores connected to their buildings, but I'm told that the liquor licenses are not in the name of Costco but rather other individuals. IIRC the Colo law on liquor stores forbids any one person / entity from owning more than one. It keeps the business from being monopolized by the huge grocery firms, who'd all have the same selection. It allows at least one set of mom/pop shopkeepers to not be put out of business by big chains. I'm sure that within six months of Wal-Mart being able to stock full strength beer plus wine and liquor that most mom and pops will be filing for bankruptcy and unemployment just like all the other mom/pop stores that have been rolled up over the years by the big box chains and Wall St.

I'm better served by my local Korean couple who give me a discount on-sight (without a silly loyalty card) and carry a good selection. I trade the Korean lady my bison chili for her bulgogi beef or kimchi. The other stores in the area offer other brands, have tastings.

I'm happy if the law stays the way it is, though my King Soopers has a whole aisle of chill cases holding single bottles of soda pops that I'm sure is a place holder for when they can get the law changed to allow full alcohol sales.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:50 PM

^ You make an excellent point. Liquor stores in Colorado are very mom-and-pop places. It's also a large part of why you see liquor stores on almost every corner, it's a business that the law will not allow a monopoly on. But I digress... This is a thread about Trader Joe's in Colorado Springs. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs