Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 01:50 PM

11 posts, read 17,929 times

Advertisements

Thank you to everyone for their advice. I'm overjoyed by all the positive responses. I admit I wasn't expecting that, I was anticipating someone to tell me to "stay the hell away", mostly because I am used to "having my guard up" as someone on the thread stated. I was born in Pennsylvania, in a small conservative rural town, so I've experienced hostility at its finest while growing up. I moved to NYC area 7 years ago, after swearing I'd never live here (an ex-gf, yanno). However I cannot stand the pace in NYC. Very fast paced, not many people say excuse me when they cut you off, etc. Always in a rush. Totally against my nature. I am friendly by nature and both give and desire respect from others. That's why I've been looking into CO. I'm a nature guy by heart, and CO is protective in the workplace for people like me (trans). I will continue my research, but am overwhelmed and appreciative of the responses. It's a great guide. I thank you all.

To answer some of the questions:

First, I do enjoy MJ. It's helped me survive some of my worst experiences

"Are you thinking apartment, townhome, rental house, or property purchase?" I am thinking an apartment rental or townhome.

"Older or newer place? Big, medium, or small budget? What part of town would you be working or going to school in? Would you rather live right in a city-ish neighborhood, or out in the country a bit?"

The size of the place isn't too important. I have the opportunity to work in Colorado Springs on Nevada Avenue.

I'd rather the country. Growing up in PA, I got so used to open land, less people, more nature. That's totally my thing. However, I just didn't want to run into some crazy area that is out to get any transgender person they find. Again, could just be my guard up from past experiences. Thanks y'all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 03:14 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Well, the best way I can put this is that folks tend to see what they're looking for. I already mentioned that I'm a little on the "colorful" side myself, by that I mean that I gravitate happily to artists, musicians, fire spinners, wild personalities and fringe communities. It's always been my thing. The...what..."alternative lifestyle"?...community?... I think that many in this area from the suburban picket-fencers to the churchgoing conservatives, would likely be shocked how big that community is here. Huge. The club I go to has over a thousand members now, maybe closer to 2,000 and there are loads of folks who are part of this world but not members, so...we're many. Especially for a smallish city with a conservative reputation. I have a number of trans friends and gay friends in this group, and no matter what they are into, they feel welcome and comfortable there. I have also noticed a number of people working jobs in various stores and locations, who I was pretty sure were transitioning, and while I'd never presume that they are leading easy lives by a long shot, they seem outgoing and happy from this stranger's perspective.

So you have potential employment on Nevada and are thinking to rent an apartment or townhome. I'll let you know that it won't be easy to reconcile those pieces with a desire to live in the country, as Nevada...isn't...and neither are most apartments or townhome communities. But there are a number of apartment complexes anywhere from the northern end of Nevada to a jog down Austin Bluffs to the area around Union & Academy, and some of them are quite nice. Most of them will have many students who attend UCCS, and they tend to be diverse and accepting people, as far as I've found so far. Here's the cool part about that whole area. Though you aren't quite in the country, you're very close to University Park Open Space, Austin Bluffs Open Space, and those are great parks with wonderful trails. I've done some fun hiking there. More centrally around Nevada there are subdivided Victorians and the very lovely Cascade Park Apartments which are in a historical property...I wanted to live there SO BAD before I knew my sons would be living with me, I encourage you to look up that place on Google and scope out the photos, because...yeah. Again, this is a college area, too, and there will be many students in many of the apartment communities. And of course Old Colorado City, which is a cool place, is just on the other side of the interstate from Nevada. OCC is like...a main "town" strip with storefronts, quirky shops, galleries, bars, etc and then a couple blocks back it looks like a quiet neighborhood with mostly older homes. Some of those are pretty, though, and I have seen some subdivided into apartments for rent.

Please forgive my tendency to ramble on and write novels, but I really think you could be quite happy here, and if you do end up moving here and would like a friendly welcome chat over coffee or something, feel free to shoot me a message.

Best wishes!

Old 04-26-2018, 03:29 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Nearly any place in town is going to be easily accessible to Nevada Ave, since it is the primary business loop off the interstate through the center of the city.

Out in the country may be a completely different experience here than you are familiar with. Open land with housing on it isn't particularly easily found here, unless you go east on the prairie where 5 acre and larger lots are available but there is nary an apartment around. Heading west into the foothills and mountains does provide living that is closer to natural things, trails, and designated open space, but also will tend to be smaller lots of land. Overlay this with the apartment or townhome and you will be within the city proper, most likely central or west.

For townhome and apartments that provide access to parks, trails, biking and hiking, as well as easy access to the more central parts of the city (to include Nevada) I'd encourage you to look in the areas of Rockrimmon, Mountain Shadows, Mesa Springs, near Westside, Old Colo City, Bott, and Pleasant Valley. There are places in downtown, Patty Jewett, and Shooks Run and many new places up north that may be of interest, but they will be further from open space and trails whereas all the previous places are next to or have better access to natural foothill and mountain areas.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:00 PM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
The Colorado Springs Independent, i.e. "Indy" has a columnist addressing those topics:

https://www.csindy.com/coloradosprin...tegory=4275114

Old 04-27-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
The Colorado Springs Independent, i.e. "Indy" has a columnist addressing those topics:

https://www.csindy.com/coloradosprin...tegory=4275114
Wow, that was really interesting. Thanks for sharing!

I guess I always assumed that everyone was doing exactly whatever they wanted and that all aspects of personal expression, identity, and orientation, were handled as one wanted and was able to do...I hadn't really given much thought to this kind of internal conflict.

Which, given my life experience and the reasons my clothing choices have changed (significant psychological stuff) that assumption is pretty presumptuous.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:37 PM

830 posts, read 744,623 times
I can't imagine it being socially acceptable to harass strangers based on appearance...is this really a thing in other places?

Old 04-27-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
I can't imagine it being socially acceptable to harass strangers based on appearance...is this really a thing in other places?
There are many places that are generally more hostile and less friendly, than Colorado is, in general. In some of them, that takes its form in discriminatory harassment of anyone perceived to be different. In some, it's more a sense of general social coldness and unpleasantness. I saw both in the DC area growing up.

The first time a worker in a fast food restaurant smiled warmly and greeted me in a genuine and friendly manner, I thought, "What's wrong with you?" after I moved away from the east, into the midwest. People in the east also often believe that they are simply more honest and real than others, and that casual friendliness to people you don't know, is "fake."

Old 04-28-2018, 11:11 PM

5 posts, read 4,306 times
I’m gay and live in Colorado Springs. Moved here about a year ago from Denver. If you want diversity you’re probably going to want to look in the SE part of town but that is also the most run down part of town in general. That’s not to say there aren’t nice areas in the SE springs. I love in a solid middle class neighborhood a couple miles east of the university of Colorado. My neighbors directly across the street from me happened to be gay. I’ve never felt unwelcome here. I also don’t feel the strong religious presence a lot of folks talk about. But I could imagine it getting progressively more religious the farther north you go in town. I have noticed a few families at restaurants praying before eating their meal but to each their own. The city in general is fairly conservative w/ a heavy libertarian influence- live and let live is a pretty gay friendly point of view.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:36 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,860,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainboy529 View Post
Thank you to everyone for their advice. I'm overjoyed by all the positive responses. I admit I wasn't expecting that, I was anticipating someone to tell me to "stay the hell away", mostly because I am used to "having my guard up" as someone on the thread stated. I was born in Pennsylvania, in a small conservative rural town, so I've experienced hostility at its finest while growing up. I moved to NYC area 7 years ago, after swearing I'd never live here (an ex-gf, yanno). However I cannot stand the pace in NYC. Very fast paced, not many people say excuse me when they cut you off, etc. Always in a rush. Totally against my nature. I am friendly by nature and both give and desire respect from others. That's why I've been looking into CO. I'm a nature guy by heart, and CO is protective in the workplace for people like me (trans). I will continue my research, but am overwhelmed and appreciative of the responses. It's a great guide. I thank you all.

To answer some of the questions:

First, I do enjoy MJ. It's helped me survive some of my worst experiences

"Are you thinking apartment, townhome, rental house, or property purchase?" I am thinking an apartment rental or townhome.

"Older or newer place? Big, medium, or small budget? What part of town would you be working or going to school in? Would you rather live right in a city-ish neighborhood, or out in the country a bit?"

The size of the place isn't too important. I have the opportunity to work in Colorado Springs on Nevada Avenue.

I'd rather the country. Growing up in PA, I got so used to open land, less people, more nature. That's totally my thing. However, I just didn't want to run into some crazy area that is out to get any transgender person they find. Again, could just be my guard up from past experiences. Thanks y'all.
There's a thread here somewhere (I'll try and find the link and post it here) about how rents have and are skyrocketing in the last few years, and how hard it is for folks to find housing.

This is something you'll want to get ahead of if you can. My understanding is that vacancies are hard to come by and get filled rather quickly. So aside from all your other concerns and questions, this is something you'll want to start researching before you get here.

Know that no matter what neighborhood you land in, you don't have to travel far to meet up with Mother Nature. Of course the farther north and east you go changes that equation, but I believe even those parts of the city have parks and open spaces - someone with more knowledge than I have may chime in.

But yeah, housing is going to be a challenge, so plan ahead.

Here's one thread that was started in late 2017 and updated not that long ago. Not sure if it's the one I was thinking of, but it contains info that should be useful to you:

Rent prices in Colorado Springs

Last edited by mtngigi; 04-29-2018 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: added copy

Old 04-30-2018, 02:55 PM

824 posts, read 705,784 times
i am not real keen on cities that have built reputation of not being accepting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs