Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:36 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,701 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I'm new to the Colorado board, but have been a long time CD member.

My family is wanting to move....someday....Right now it's a toss up between Boise, ID and Colorado Springs, with the scale tipping toward CS at the moment!
I've noticed there are a few places around CS where one can find a decent home on lots of acreage. However, since I don't know the area, I need to know what areas are good and not. For example, I have seen some decent buys around the Peyton, Yoder and CS areas (3bd 2b 5+ acres etc) for pretty good deals. But I need to know what the commute would be like, the schools, crime and overall quality of living. I don't mind being a bit out from CS, as long as the roads permit travel to CS in winter.

Is there any place that is recommended to ill advised around the CS area? We really want a few acres (at least 2 or more) where we can have a cow or two or a horse or whatever.
Can you tell me the schools to look for and the ones to stay away from?

How about areas that the roads are pretty well maintained to get to CS in the winter?

Thank for any help you can give!

By the way, I should note that we would be moving from the hottest part of the Arizona/Nevada desert! It NEVER snows here, I've only seen it below 32 degrees twice since I have lived here (20 years) and have spent all of my driving years in the desert. lol My hubby is from Michigan, so he knows snow/ice. I know we're going to freeze for a couple of winters, but anything is better than this baron desert we have lived for all these years.

Last edited by kawgpz550; 01-24-2009 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: Added Content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 05:07 AM

565 posts, read 1,847,990 times
Out East of town is probably your best bet for more reasonably priced homes with acreage. Within the Springs there is an area off of Woodman drive between Academy and Lexington that have homes on 2+ acre lots. The places off Woodman are likely to be in the $500K+ range just due to the land and proximity to town. There is also some development up in Cascade/Green Mountain Falls area with some acreage - expect to pay a fair amount per acre but possibly under $500K for a couple of acres with a small home.

What kind of price range are you looking for with home and land together?

Old 01-24-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginhild View Post
Out East of town is probably your best bet for more reasonably priced homes with acreage. Within the Springs there is an area off of Woodman drive between Academy and Lexington that have homes on 2+ acre lots. The places off Woodman are likely to be in the $500K+ range just due to the land and proximity to town. There is also some development up in Cascade/Green Mountain Falls area with some acreage - expect to pay a fair amount per acre but possibly under $500K for a couple of acres with a small home.

What kind of price range are you looking for with home and land together?
Trying hard to stay under $200k. I found some decent places around Yoder, Florissant and Peyton that seem pretty cheap, I'm just not sure about the commute in the winter time. I don't know anything about the Colorado Springs area. We just want out of the desert and Colorado Springs seems very nice!
Is it very mountainous between Peyton and CS? How long (estimate) would it take to travel from Peyton to CS in the winter?

Thanks for your help, I will check out the East side to see what I can find. Are their any school districts in CS, or surrounding areas, to watch out for?

Old 01-24-2009, 06:01 AM

565 posts, read 1,847,990 times
Peyton is a flatland drive to the Springs and probably the shortest drive as well from what you have listed. Peyton is also very close to Falcon for convienience of the stores there.

Yoder is a bit further than Peyton and on a smaller road with less ameneties nearby. It is also out on the plains with a flat drive to the Springs.

Florissant is a longer drive including winding mountain roads and higher altitude (8,200 ft). You pass through Woodland Park on the way to the Springs from Florissant.

Peyton would be my choice if I were you - preferrably land toward Black Forest, Eastonville, and North from Peyton (there are some nice rolling hills areas with pines rather than flat grassland).

Old 01-24-2009, 07:44 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,470,113 times
Florissant is mountain living which includes MUCH more snow than the east.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:45 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,126,349 times
This decision requires your input on whether you would like to live on the plains (think Kansas) or in the mountains. They both get snow, but obviously the Florissant area is higher in elevation. If choosing the Florissant area, your main shopping will be done in Woodland Park. Springs isn't far from there, just down HWY 24 (a commute many do daily) and in 20 you are in COS. Depending how far out east you go, you could do your shopping in Falcon or drive all the way into Springs. It is really hard to determine how long your commute will be, could be as long as 40 minutes.
I must say, this will definitely require a trip out here to determine where you buy...very different options.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:46 AM

Thank you for the information! That definitely gives me a good idea of where to look.

I've been reading a lot more on the CS board...Is the wind really that bad there? I was really hoping to escape the wind once I leave here. lol It's windy here when it's 40 degrees and it's windy here when it's 125+ degrees. I can say the HOT wind is worse than the cold wind here in the desert. But I'm wondering how cold the wind makes it there.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
This decision requires your input on whether you would like to live on the plains (think Kansas) or in the mountains. They both get snow, but obviously the Florissant area is higher in elevation. If choosing the Florissant area, your main shopping will be done in Woodland Park. Springs isn't far from there, just down HWY 24 (a commute many do daily) and in 20 you are in COS. Depending how far out east you go, you could do your shopping in Falcon or drive all the way into Springs. It is really hard to determine how long your commute will be, could be as long as 40 minutes.
I must say, this will definitely require a trip out here to determine where you buy...very different options.
We will definitely visit first, I'm just trying to narrow it down a bit to figure out what areas to look at once we get there.
Are the main roads pretty well maintained in the winter between Peyton/Florissant/Springs? I would assume Florissant is probably less windy than Peyton would be...right?

Old 01-24-2009, 10:17 AM

23 posts, read 51,697 times
Default Antelope Ridge

What is this are like?

Old 01-24-2009, 10:18 AM

23 posts, read 51,697 times
Default Antelope Ridge

OOps...typo...I meant area - what is this area like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs