Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 6,535 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to move to CO for a good bit now, but all I know about the state is the time I've spent vacationing (summer and winter) at my grandparents' cabin in Ohio City, which is about an hour from Gunnison. I'm hoping I can get some useful advice and tips about where to look in Colorado.

My 2 big things are that I'd like to find a place that's at least within a couple hours drive of skiing, and I'd prefer to not live in a big congested city but at the same time I don't want to be so rural that trips to Wal-Mart, etc. are an hour long. As far as the "stuff to do" bit, I enjoy outdoor activities but don't always need to be outside nor do I feel like I need to spend every weekend in a bar/club. Some place that offers the opportunities for both would be nice but isn't necessary.

I graduated college a year ago and I'm in my mid 20's. I have enough money saved up to survive a few months after a move without a job while I look for something. Job wise I'd just be looking for something to help pay bills as I don't expect much to be out there in the job market.

I've always liked the cold and snow, whether or not I can survive both for months at a time I have no clue but I'm willing to try as I hate the heat and humidity of where I'm at now. I plan on driving to visit potential places in a month or so and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 03:50 PM

486 posts, read 1,497,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo41 View Post
I've been wanting to move to CO for a good bit now, but all I know about the state is the time I've spent vacationing (summer and winter) at my grandparents' cabin in Ohio City, which is about an hour from Gunnison. I'm hoping I can get some useful advice and tips about where to look in Colorado.

My 2 big things are that I'd like to find a place that's at least within a couple hours drive of skiing, and I'd prefer to not live in a big congested city but at the same time I don't want to be so rural that trips to Wal-Mart, etc. are an hour long. As far as the "stuff to do" bit, I enjoy outdoor activities but don't always need to be outside nor do I feel like I need to spend every weekend in a bar/club. Some place that offers the opportunities for both would be nice but isn't necessary.

I graduated college a year ago and I'm in my mid 20's. I have enough money saved up to survive a few months after a move without a job while I look for something. Job wise I'd just be looking for something to help pay bills as I don't expect much to be out there in the job market.

I've always liked the cold and snow, whether or not I can survive both for months at a time I have no clue but I'm willing to try as I hate the heat and humidity of where I'm at now. I plan on driving to visit potential places in a month or so and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,
consider the towns along the Upper Arkansas River Valley (Canon City, Salida, & Beuna Vista) all three are great small to midsized towns within 2 hours to skiing and CC & Salida have Walmarts & other ammenities. Outdoor activities abound in these areas and there are always jobs in tourism. This area is also known as the "Banana Belt of Colorado" in that the winters are milder, get less snow than other areas of CO, AND there is little to no humidity (well, that goes for anywhere in Colorado!)

Old 07-08-2010, 04:36 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Where are you from, where do you live right now? What field do you want to work in?

Old 07-08-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
Hi,
consider the towns along the Upper Arkansas River Valley (Canon City, Salida, & Beuna Vista) all three are great small to midsized towns within 2 hours to skiing and CC & Salida have Walmarts & other ammenities. Outdoor activities abound in these areas and there are always jobs in tourism. This area is also known as the "Banana Belt of Colorado" in that the winters are milder, get less snow than other areas of CO, AND there is little to no humidity (well, that goes for anywhere in Colorado!)
Just for clarification, what would be considered milder weather and less snow than the other areas?

vegaspilgrim: I'm originally from Louisiana and currently live in NW Arkansas. When it does snow here it's lucky if it stays on the ground for more than a day. Right now I don't really care what kind of job I'd get as long as it helps to pay the bills. If I enjoy Colorado as much as I'm hoping I will, I'll look for a "better" job then.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:23 AM

529 posts, read 1,326,056 times
Quote:
vegaspilgrim: I'm originally from Louisiana and currently live in NW Arkansas. When it does snow here it's lucky if it stays on the ground for more than a day. Right now I don't really care what kind of job I'd get as long as it helps to pay the bills. If I enjoy Colorado as much as I'm hoping I will, I'll look for a "better" job then.
If you don't like congestion, stay away from the Front Range. The job market is really bad in CO right now though.

Pueblo is pretty nice. About the size of Fayetteville. Check it out.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
You could try finding seasonal work in a ski resort town. There have been many past posts about what that lifestyle is like-- you might want to search through the forum archives.

The vast majority of the population of Colorado lives in major metropolitan areas. It can be very hard to make a living in the rural parts of the state. Might want to read up on jazzlover's many posts on the subject.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:26 PM

486 posts, read 1,497,272 times
Gizmo...
by wilder winters I mean winters are not as cold, not as much snow, if there is a snow event it melts within a day or two; and winter does not last as long as other areas (December - March, as opposed to October - May in some areas of COlorado)

Another poster suggested Pueblo, and it does have some nice features but if you are looking for more of a "Colorado" experience, I would stay clear of Pueblo. You can't even really see the mountains from Pueblo and it feels like it could be anywhere on the plains... just not the mountain experience, (or even a hilly one for that matter).

From your description, I really think you should take a look at Salida/Buena Vista, or Canon City. If you are driving through the area you could hit all three towns in one day to taste & compare (it is an hour from Canon City to Salida, then an hour - not even - from Salida to Buena Vista). If you drive an hour north of Buena Vista, you will hit Leadville - another neat COlorado town. Leadville, however, has harsher winters and is at a higher elevation that the other three i mentioned.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:12 PM

529 posts, read 1,326,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post

Another poster suggested Pueblo, and it does have some nice features but if you are looking for more of a "Colorado" experience, I would stay clear of Pueblo. You can't even really see the mountains from Pueblo and it feels like it could be anywhere on the plains... just not the mountain experience, (or even a hilly one for that matter).
That was my post. I think the "Colorado" experience is different for all of us. Those little towns you mentioned are more in the mountains but I don't think there's anymore "Colorado" experience there than in Pueblo. Maybe less in terms of culture. From Pueblo you can see from far south of the Greenhorn mountains to all the way to Pike's peak. A part if I25 dips into a hill even in Pueblo. It is true most of the eastern part of Pueblo is flat but there are a few hills around.

I do know this, if you go to Salida, you'll have to take a job with you. Maybe Canon City too, I interviewed there for a quasi-professional position and the interviewers told me they had several hundred applicants jocky-ing for it as well.

Maybe your Grandparents will let you stay in their cabin near Gunnison as a base so you don't have to shell out clams on rent. That's as resort experience as you can get!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:48 PM

Sorry sesamekid, I should have worded that better: meant to say if you happen to know of any averages (cold/snowfall) for those areas. I've been in Colorado in the winter so I have some idea but my general idea of a milder winter probably doesn't match up with yours. And pardon my ignorance, but are you saying snow doesn't last long in those areas or it doesn't get deep?

I knew from reading other posts that Pueblo most likely wasn't the place for me, I want to be right next to the mountains at the very least. I know whenever you get any number of people together there's going to be some congestion, I'd just rather avoid the kind you're likely to find in the larger cities like Denver or the middle of Colorado Springs. Is congestion bad in places like Boulder or Fort Collins?

I've definitely added the towns in the "Banana Belt" to my list of places to visit. Just trying to get as many options as possible that'll fit what I'm looking for so my trip around the state is as profitable as possible.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:08 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Sorry sesamekid, I should have worded that better: meant to say if you happen to know of any averages (cold/snowfall) for those areas. I've been in Colorado in the winter so I have some idea but my general idea of a milder winter probably doesn't match up with yours. And pardon my ignorance, but are you saying snow doesn't last long in those areas or it doesn't get deep?
Just as a general guide any place below 7000 ft in elevation from September to June, snow can come and go. Above 7000ft, it generally is going to hang around all winter and each 1000ft higher you go, the winters are longer and colder with snow sticking around.

Of course there are hundreds of topographical and geographical variations at play but that is good general guide for what to expect.

The trade off at lower elevations for the milder winters is that it is drier and you are in high desert, high prairie grassland or scrub, not mountain forest.

For starters in the Colorado rockies employment opportunities are few. You have a few options, oil and gas or tourism. Not much else. For someone your age, I recommend one of the larger ski towns as they have winter and summer business to stay employed. Plus they have a wide selection of all sorts of activities happening and many interesting transient people to meet. The downside for access to employment and activities is high living costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado