Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you pronounce Colorado?
Col-o-rad-o 69 38.55%
Col-o-rod-o 94 52.51%
Neither/Both ways 16 8.94%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 03:57 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,454,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushhournewb View Post
Thank you thank you thank you. Did you vote?
Yes I did vote.......

Old 09-06-2012, 04:56 PM

352 posts, read 713,168 times
It was gratifying hearing our governor speak at the DNC. Pronouncing our state name correctly. Yes, it was gratifying.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:59 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Don't know why, but it annoys me when people say it with the A rather than the O.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:11 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Don't know why, but it annoys me when people say it with the A rather than the O.
There is a discussion on the California forum that may shed some light on this. Apparently many places are undergoing what's know as a "vowel shift" where vowels originally pronounced one way transform to a different pronunciation. It's possible this A and O difference is a result of that. What to an older person's ears sounds right, like Colo-rad-o, may sound odd to a younger one. I'll bet if we were able to dissect the poll results by age this would become apparent.

http://www.pbs.org/speak/ahead/change/changin/

Old 02-03-2013, 06:35 PM

Remember, I didn't bring this thread back up. But here it is so I'll comment again:

I was listening to a story on NPR recently. The host pronounced our state's name somewhere "ah" and "a", not quite wrong, not quite right. Hey man, you live here, you're in the public "ear" come on!! He was interviewing a government official from Colorado Springs who was commenting on possible job losses at Fort Carson.

The CSprings guy pronounced it correctly every time "Co-lo-ra-do" and the host, bless his heart, started saying it correctly by the end of the story. Sort of. He's backslid since but there's hope, at least he's said it correctly a few times.

I met a lady from England a few weeks ago. She'd just moved here. In the course of our conversation I said "oh yeah, by the way, the correct pronunciation of our state is Co-lo-ra-do. Say it. Say it!" She flustered and blustered and finally said "I don't think I CAN say that!" So maybe it's a problem at the cellular level, those who cannot pronounce our state's name correctly.

edit: I just saw the current poll votes. I wonder if the vote on the Chicago poll has "Chi-cay-go" winning, or the vote in the Texas poll has "Tay-has" winning.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:53 PM

129 posts, read 250,108 times
I don't even know how people can continue on this thread ... the phonetics aren't even close!

Pronounce ... RA ... and record it and I bet you'll get ten different sounds ... you just can't use that combination of letters to indicate a certain sound.

Oh, and the reason I say that, is because of the Egyptian sun god, Ra. Who is pronounced nothing like the ra in rad.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethehighcountry View Post
I don't even know how people can continue on this thread ... the phonetics aren't even close!

Pronounce ... RA ... and record it and I bet you'll get ten different sounds ... you just can't use that combination of letters to indicate a certain sound.

Oh, and the reason I say that, is because of the Egyptian sun god, Ra. Who is pronounced nothing like the ra in rad.
We ain't speaking no Egyptian here. If you record ten people saying Colorado and any of them pronounce it Co-lo-rah-do, well, they're wrong, it doesn't matter if they think they're pronouncing it like that sun god's name and therefore think they're right.

I see the vote for the wrong pronunciation has gone up to 78. Worse and worse.

You all do know that Nevada is pronounced Ne-va-da, not Ne-vah-da, right? Same thing here.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
You all do know that Nevada is pronounced Ne-va-da, not Ne-vah-da, right? Same thing here.
Not disagreeing with your pronunciation but sometimes the locals in two spots may pronounce their similar spellings differently. Amarillo and Camarillo come to mind.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,465,055 times
Quote:
We ain't speaking no Egyptian here. If you record ten people saying Colorado and any of them pronounce it Co-lo-rah-do, well, they're wrong, it doesn't matter if they think they're pronouncing it like that sun god's name and therefore think they're right.

I see the vote for the wrong pronunciation has gone up to 78. Worse and worse.

I don't know (and I don't care) where you live in Colorado, but you obviously have never spent much time in southern or western Colorado. If you had, you would not be so stinking headstrong about the idea that pronouncing Colorado so that it rhymes with "mad" is the way all native and long-time Coloradans pronounce it. It's NOT.

You'd probably pronounce Huerfano County "Hew-er-fay-no" County, too. (For the record, it's "Where-fuh-no.") Or how about Saguache? "Sa-gow-chee?" It's "Suh-watch." By the way, Saguache was the SPANISH phonetic spelling of a Ute Indian word, and the Anglos phonteically spelled the same name as "Sawatch." Or Costilla? You'd go for "Co-still-a," right? Not "Co-steeya."

You live in a state where nearly half the land area was once part of Mexico, with innumerable Spanish place names, and a substantial NATIVE Hispanic population. Get over it. By the way, I'm Anglo, but I respect the beauty of the Spanish language and see no reason to butcher the pronunciation of Spanish Colorado place names like some Midwestern hillbilly.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I don't know (and I don't care) where you live in Colorado, but you obviously have never spent much time in southern or western Colorado. If you had, you would not be so stinking headstrong about the idea that pronouncing Colorado so that it rhymes with "mad" is the way all native and long-time Coloradans pronounce it. It's NOT.

You'd probably pronounce Huerfano County "Hew-er-fay-no" County, too. (For the record, it's "Where-fuh-no.") Or how about Saguache? "Sa-gow-chee?" It's "Suh-watch." By the way, Saguache was the SPANISH phonetic spelling of a Ute Indian word, and the Anglos phonteically spelled the same name as "Sawatch." Or Costilla? You'd go for "Co-still-a," right? Not "Co-steeya."

You live in a state where nearly half the land area was once part of Mexico, with innumerable Spanish place names, and a substantial NATIVE Hispanic population. Get over it. By the way, I'm Anglo, but I respect the beauty of the Spanish language and see no reason to butcher the pronunciation of Spanish Colorado place names like some Midwestern hillbilly.
I'll remind my "Dur-Ahn-Go" cousins that they and their elders have been mispronouncing these Spanish names for the past 130 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado