Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 05:49 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,021,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdecember82 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I have no intention of buying a house until we rent first and we sure wouldn't move without first having a job. I just wanted to make sure there would be the type of house we're looking for somewhere for us eventually. I used to actually live in Louisville (literally 20 yrs. ago, before Superior was even a town) and it just seems that the houses (everywhere around there) are sandwiched in so close together, to the point you can hand shampoo out to your neighbor through the window! Surely there's got to be decent houses where you don't have to share your backyard with 3 neighbors. Would there happen to be anywhere I can look into online that sells log houses for sale? That's my dream house but I can't find any that aren't like 30 miles out of town and aren't $500.

Cupcake 77......Where if you don't mind me asking does your husband's step father live?

His step father lives in littleton. He has given up and looking to move to New Jersey, he got an offer there. As far as houses being sandwiched, I know what you mean! I didn't want to live in Highaldns ranch, I prefered parker because of the landscape and space. here in Highlands ranch it's a sea of houses!! We do have a big yard and lots of trees so it makes us feel like we have space, but nobody really does here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Well, boots on the ground experience will often trump swarmy business outlooks. Yes, some people do find jobs, but it is very difficult now, and competition is fierce for the few jobs that are available. And there are plenty of qualified, but unemployed Colorado residents eager to snap up what jobs are available.

By the way, on a recent trip to Denver, I saw saw plenty of unemployed homeless in downtown Denver, begging for some money to get back to somewhere--anywhere--rather than be on the streets in Denver. Those people WERE sitting in the gutters, or riding the Mall Shuttle for no other reason than the bus had heat.
You're awfully bleak. I'm very glad you're not my neighbor.

Any major city you go to will have it's homeless population. Congratulations, Denver is now a major city (as though it wasn't before).

Seriously though, is this an issue of a lack of jobs, or a lack of jobs in your field and no desire to compete with new blood? I'm sure there's plenty not to like about Colorado, but there's also plenty to like about the place, and overall, the outlook there in terms of jobs and industry, particularly in IT related fields is looking better than most places in the US.

Let me put it another way: it looks bad to you in CO and in Denver. But have you checked into how bad it is elsewhere? There are plenty of places in worse shape.

As for finding a job before you go anywhere...well, that's not likely. Employers will always hire local talent over an iffy relocator. You need your so-called "boots-on-the-ground" to seriously be considered. Thinking otherwise is silly. You won't die or live in squalor if you have some savings and are not an idiot.

Just my two cents.

Edit - p.s. - your post was so silly/misguided/narrow-viewed that I actually created an account to respond.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:37 AM

168 posts, read 381,863 times
It's possible to move without a job in hand, because as was pointed out: it's true you don't get hired unless you are there already......I know this because I just did it in Oct (and as a single woman I'm not going to reveal all the specific facts, so you'll just have to take my word for it)....I think it was "easier" because I came from a state (Nevada) in worse shape than Colorado is, and just the difference in opportunities is amazing......I will say that maybe the pay scale you'd like to have might not exist, or the specific job you want isn't available, or start in an area that's not your original destination - or other things you might have to compromise on in order to accomplish this.....it's a bit scary, but it is do-able if you seriously want it to happen......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado