Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2017, 09:55 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Well, I don't know if they're necessarily from Newark, I just threw the name of that city out there. They could be from most anywhere, but odds are better that they will be from out-of-state, rather than be native Coloradans. According to The Denverite, only 43% of current Colorado residents were born here, the other 57% moved here from somewhere else.

This is the stat that always pops into my mind when I read snippets on here from recent transplants complaining about the locals that are bad drivers, rude people, self centered, or whatever adjective is being thrown down for the topic.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:07 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
When I moved to the Front Range in the late 80s, people were noticeably polite and open. It seemed like half the people were from KS and NE. The scapegoat of the "natives" at that time was Texans.

Starting in the early 90s, the bulk of the new arrivals came from CA, and the scapegoating turned to Californians and Japanese (the latter due to a perceived taking over of ski resorts). Later in that decade, more East Coasters came in. During this entire decade, drivers became noticeably more rude, hurried, and aggressive. I think it had more to do with overall crowding than specifics of people's origin. However, having grown up in MA, it is true that the drivers there were incredibly pushy, at least during the time I lived there.

The bigger a city gets, the more rude the people become. There is probably some regional variation, e.g., large southern city vs large northern city, but increased crowding/competition is a bigger influence.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Well, I don't know if they're necessarily from Newark, I just threw the name of that city out there. They could be from most anywhere, but odds are better that they will be from out-of-state, rather than be native Coloradans. According to The Denverite, only 43% of current Colorado residents were born here, the other 57% moved here from somewhere else.
By that metric, yes. And that is nearly half the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Holy thread resurrection, Batman.
People are posting, what's the problem?

Old 01-14-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
This is the stat that always pops into my mind when I read snippets on here from recent transplants complaining about the locals that are bad drivers, rude people, self centered, or whatever adjective is being thrown down for the topic.
Yes, and keep in mind that's a plurality. The other 57% are from 49 other states! This is from a little more than two years ago. If anyone has a more recent update, please post it. (Shows 42% from CO)
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...abt=0002&abg=0

The next biggest chunk of Coloradans were born outside the US (11%); then in western states other than California (7%); California, midwestern states other than Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska and Ohio, and southern states outside of Texas (6% each); Illinois, New York, Texas and states other than New York in the east (3% each); Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and Ohio (2% each); Missouri and Pennsylvania (1% each).

Midwestern states:18%total; Western states:13% Southern states:9%; Eastern states:7%.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:42 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, and keep in mind that's a plurality. The other 57% are from 49 other states! This is from a little more than two years ago. If anyone has a more recent update, please post it. (Shows 42% from CO)
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...abt=0002&abg=0

The next biggest chunk of Coloradans were born outside the US (11%); then in western states other than California (7%); California, midwestern states other than Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska and Ohio, and southern states outside of Texas (6% each); Illinois, New York, Texas and states other than New York in the east (3% each); Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and Ohio (2% each); Missouri and Pennsylvania (1% each).

Midwestern states:18%total; Western states:13% Southern states:9%; Eastern states:7%.
Sure, no prob. Try the US Census 2015 which was last revised on Nov 15, 2016. Is that recent enough? If you click on the first box on that page (xls file State of Residence By Place of Birth Table: 2015 [<1.0 MB]), you get a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet which gives the pertinent data for each state in the Union. Don't be afraid, everybody, the spreadsheet is not that hard to understand. Just look under the column for Colorado and you'll notice that our current population is 5,456,574. Of that number 2,329,855 current Colorado residents were born here or roughly 43% as opposed to the Denverite's site estimate of 42%. I'm not going to quibble over 1%, but the rest of you feel free.

So, 42% or 43% of those mean, bad-tempered (and let's not forget suspicious) people you meet on the trail or the King Soopers check-out line are native Coloradans who are such losers that they can't even make polite small talk at a Chicago cocktail gathering. All the sunny, out-going folks you meet are New Yorkers or Texans or illegal aliens. If you run into Pacho, be sure to give him a big "Hola, Como estas" for me.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:32 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
I have no idea what everyone is talking about - I find Coloradans to be quite friendly, just not super social.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:35 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Too bad this old thread from 05-20-2011 got revived. It seems more sensationalistic and baiting than anything worthy of comment. I'm surprised that it's attracting so much time and attention. You could easily take any of the 50 states and find something to gripe about. It doesn't mean anything.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:09 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
So, 42% or 43% of those mean, bad-tempered (and let's not forget suspicious) people you meet on the trail or the King Soopers check-out line are native Coloradans who are such losers that they can't even make polite small talk at a Chicago cocktail gathering. All the sunny, out-going folks you meet are New Yorkers or Texans or illegal aliens. If you run into Pacho, be sure to give him a big "Hola, Como estas" for me.
I think you're looking at it like only native-Coloradans are guilty of this.

A personality of a place, and the people in it, is made up of all of the people in the place, native or not.

Everything in this and every other thread on the forum are made up of singular or multiple anecdotal experiences by single people. Some people can relate, some cannot. It takes all kinds.

In MY experience, small talk is almost non-existent, and people seem disinterested in being friendly AND in being friends. That is MY experience. Maybe I'M the problem. Maybe I don't fit in here. However, I have not had this problem in the other 4 metropolitan areas I've lived in, which is the main root of MY frustration with people/social existence here. Apparently a few other people can commiserate.

And MY experience only relates to metro Denver. I have no idea what it's be like to actually live in another Front Range or Colorado city or town. I take Colorado Springs people to be refreshingly normal in comparison to Denver (and I generally consider myself liberal , we go to COS often to unjade from Denver), and find much of the rest of the state to have varying degrees of over-Prozac or unjustified shoulder chips, and everything in between (including even POSITIVE attributes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I have no idea what everyone is talking about - I find Coloradans to be quite friendly, just not super social.
Which is much of the complaint. There isn't much "there" there.

Some people thrive, some people wither. In every environment.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:57 PM

^^First things first; David, I agree with you.

Quote:
Sure, no prob. Try the US Census 2015 which was last revised on Nov 15, 2016. Is that recent enough? If you click on the first box on that page (xls file State of Residence By Place of Birth Table: 2015 [<1.0 MB]), you get a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet which gives the pertinent data for each state in the Union. Don't be afraid, everybody, the spreadsheet is not that hard to understand. Just look under the column for Colorado and you'll notice that our current population is 5,456,574. Of that number 2,329,855 current Colorado residents were born here or roughly 43% as opposed to the Denverite's site estimate of 42%. I'm not going to quibble over 1%, but the rest of you feel free.

Did I say anything about natives being mean, bad-tempered, or unable to make small talk? Chicago, New York, Texas or illegal aliens?

I'm from Pennsylvania, BTW, and both my kids are Colorado natives.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:10 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,636,014 times
I don't find people of Colorado mean. Outside metro Denver, outside Boulder and the ski resorts, they're friendly. It isn't like the 1980s or early 90s however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado