Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 10:02 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,721,438 times

Advertisements

Lived in Denver and Basalt and everyone was so nice as well as laid back. Contrast that to Phoenix where everyone is all dehydrated, sweaty and kind of.....short with you.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:33 AM

4 posts, read 9,774 times
Well I don't care if people don't like outsiders, because I am moving to Cortez despite what any locals say or how they act.....really I could care less! Yea I from a different state but who cares, get over it people...... such PETTY B.S. that people worry about these days.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:38 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,432,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data-Metropolis View Post
Well I don't care if people don't like outsiders, because I am moving to Cortez despite what any locals say or how they act.....really I could care less! Yea I from a different state but who cares, get over it people...... such PETTY B.S. that people worry about these days.
Good luck getting along with your new neighbors...

Old 08-07-2013, 09:22 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,408,541 times
Gawd, you should try Boston and the NY City area!!
I escaped to CO.
And am very happy ... they may be a little
too friendly...a lot of Midwesterners and Minnesotans, you betcha.
Of course, you do always have the problem of the Minnesotans getting
lost coming back from the rest room...they need extra watching...

Old 08-07-2013, 10:21 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,472,797 times
Yes, I have noticed the drunky people in downtown Denver can be mean.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:22 AM

432 posts, read 416,196 times
I wouldn't say mean, but I have found a bit of an elitist attitude here in Colorado, both from natives and newcomers.
I would think that having so many people moving into the state that are so enamored with it would inflate some egos. Also, a lot of the people that have chosen to live here have convinced themselves that it is utopia.
People always ask "how long have you been here?" and "where are you from?" and it seems to just be a loaded question so they can poop on my native state and residents. Very rarely is the follow up question "how do you like it?" Nine out of ten times they comment that 'I must LOVE IT HERE because THERE SUCKS.'
Recently a new coworker actually had the nerve to tell me "I could never live there with THOSE people and their OBNOXIOUS accents."
I come from rural New Hampshire which I guess Colorado people equate with New York City or that Jersey Shore show or something?

Old 08-07-2013, 11:41 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,441,511 times
I always found the natives to be pleasant for the most part. I wouldn't consider them necessarily along the lines of the "southern hospitality" folks, but they are much more friendly than people from either of the coasts. I've come to accept that it's just difficult to make good friends. It takes a lot of effort. You have to continuously put yourself out there.

Not sure what your age is, but young people tend to be very mobile. For that reason, making meaningful friendships in your 20s seems to me to be extremely difficult. You can't establish much of anything if people are constantly moving in and out of your life. Particularly in and around Denver, there are a lot of young transients. They either moved there for the short term (school/work) or moved with friends and family. They tend to be difficult to integrate with, at least in my experience. The only meaningful relationships I ever made in CO was with some co-workers at my first post-college job. We saw each other on a daily basis, we talked, and hung out after work. I still stay in touch with a few of them, even having traveled there a month ago for a wedding for one of them.

Last edited by Tekkie; 08-07-2013 at 11:55 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 10:30 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,960,431 times
Default I have an announcement to make

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
but I have found a bit of an elitist attitude here in Colorado, both from natives and newcomers.
I've made friends with both, but generally I prefer natives everywhere I go. I have noticed the elitist attitude among some of the natives, not just here on the forums, but also in person (believe it or not). I am a CA native, and have now lived here for 6 years.

HOWEVER.

I now give myself license to use the curmudgeonly nativist attitude when it comes to this state.

Because a few days ago, I found out I have Colorado heritage.

My maternal grandfather's father was born in La Veta in the 1890's.

My paternal grandfather's father worked on the Missouri Pacific Railroad in Ordway, and filled out a WWI draft card while he was there, even though he was not a citizen (which it turns out was customary at the time).

So my family goes back over 100 years on one side, and almost 100 on the other. That's right, I've got it on both sides.

So everybody get out of MY STATE, post haste!

Old 08-07-2013, 10:41 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,355,028 times
I've found that people back east are friendlier and more genuine overall, quicker to laugh too. Denver's cool but the people I work around in Boulder are pretty haughty and are very concerned with status, just plain mean in some cases. Money and status seems to inflate egos.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:37 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,493,691 times
I am really surprised the thread went on this long because it is nonsense. CO folks esp. the more rural are the nicest people if don't come with an attitude. The only rude ones I have seen are in the heart of downtown Denver and they are no worse than what I grew up with in OC,CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado