Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:42 PM

15 posts, read 35,346 times

Advertisements

Well after two years and two moves, we are finally making our move!! We are looking into Genoa/Hugo/Limon areas. After living near Tampa, Fl then moving to a nice quiet town in Tn...I'm sticking with the small town living My husband will be working in Denver/Colorado Springs areas. We are just so excited!!! I would like to know what activities there are to do with my kids(7,9,12) out there...I'm a stay at home mom and have my kids involved in everything Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 06:56 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
I am sorry, I think you should rethink your living location. I promise you will regret every day that you live so far away from where he works. Why torture everyone?

Old 01-03-2012, 07:01 PM

My husband has always traveled at least an hour and a half+ to work and unfortunately he's living in Pa while we are in Tn and he still lives over an hour from where he works in Md. Would you have any suggestions for small towns closer? Safe, quiet, great schools, not crazy expensive?

Old 01-03-2012, 07:18 PM

That commute is a nightmare, and should be avoided for family harmony. The great plains are not known for their great schools.

Define crazy expensive.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:25 PM

I am super cheap...always looking for a deal lol Under $150,000. I have a friend that lives in Genoa and she told me the school her kids go to is excellent? But I am all ears for good school...small schools. My kids enjoy the one on one that they have here with their teachers. So that is important also. Class sizes here are about 15 kids.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:39 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
If long commute/cheap house/small town is important, you can do that much closer to Denver:

Hudson
Keenesburg
Fort Lupton
Watkins
Bennett
Strasburg
Byers
Elizabeth
Kiowa

but even most of those are pretty far, but are closer.

There will be days when husband won't be able to get home or to work. Has he ever tried driving through a wind tunnel blindfolded?

Old 01-03-2012, 07:41 PM

http://www.city-data.com/city/Genoa-Colorado.html

Why don't you know where your husband will be working? There's 90 minutes between Denver and Colorado Springs. But 2 hours one way to Genoa.

There are plenty of small towns closer to the front range, and more to do than on the plains.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:50 PM

My husband is an Explosives Engineer...so he travels alot. Those are two places I know his company is planning on sending him. I thank you so much for your help...I will be checking those towns out

Old 01-03-2012, 08:20 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Setting oneself up for such a long commute is silliness with what is coming in fuel prices in the not-distant future.

As others have noted, as well, there can be many days of perfectly dry roads in winter on the Eastern Plains, but a plains blizzard is nothing to be taken lightly. I've lived in "blizzard country"--my commute was nothing like what you are contemplating and there were still times when a 15-minute commute in good weather would take me well over an hour in blizzard conditions--and I have 40 years of winter driving experience. There were a few times when I questioned whether or not I would be able to get home or if I would wind up sleeping in my car somewhere between work and home. Yes, they can get that bad.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:29 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Living in Limon to work in the Denver/Colorado Springs area? That's pretty wild. It doesn't take a lot of snow on the prairie to close the interstate or cause delays, just wind and there is plenty of wind. There absolutely squat to do for a young family out in Limon.

I'd look more between Denver and Colorado Springs as there are still some rural areas down that way and try to figure out something more reasonable rather than forcing your husband to drive 4 hours a day.

I'd rather be flogged with a rubber hose than live in Limon and have to commute to Denver and Colorado Springs every day. IMHO that is just crazy. But to each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado