Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:36 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang133 View Post
Also, would the "Old Colorado City" part of Colorado Springs work?
Yes, the west side of Colorado Springs, including OCC and Manitou, is a liberal enclave in an otherwise conservative town, and it's certainly a lot cheaper than the Denver area. You might find some of your interns at the UCCS in Colorado Springs, but it's not a large campus, certainly tiny compared to CU-Boulder or CSU.

I still think that Fort Collins might be a better choice, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 08:48 AM

423 posts, read 1,960,061 times
I would suggest Fort Collins also. There are several colleges there, many bike trails throughout the town, and a historical part of town. It is about 1 hour from the airport in Denver. You could find a very nice home for 200,000 or less.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:52 AM

15 posts, read 38,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
I did not hear anything bad about it to be honest. It is a nice area; I have worked there and got to meet many people from that area. Overall, good people, mostly older neighborhood. It is close to the main streets that would connect you to almost anyplace you want to go/

Many places/shops on Colo. Blvd. (Safeway, Circuit City, Target north on Colo Blvd., and many others).

The prices do have a wide manage as some homes are 400K+ homes too. While it may be true that the 156K may not be as great, I did see a few very good houses in the 190K -230K range.

The best advice is to make a list of top areas and visit them when you are here to see it for yourself.

Another off-topic tip:
You mentioned you have a business and like older homes. If you need DSL, make sure that DSL is wired to that area as there are many older areas where Qwest does not have a DSL line (though Comcast cable should be available in almost any area as far as I know).

Good luck in your search. Let us know how everything turns out when you move/visit us.
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look into the area. About the internet, I'm not worried. I live in the complete middle of nowhere CA and I've managed to get internet via satellite.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 PM

15 posts, read 38,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
The problem with the Denver area is that the price range is likely to be much higher than 200k for an older area with character. Really, anything under 200k is likely to need either massive work, be in a bad neighborhood, or be in the suburbs (not that there's anything wrong with suburbs, but I know you're not looking for that). Plus, Denver doesn't really have a large, public, research oriented university (that would be in Boulder).

So, why not Fort Collins? It's Cheaper than the Denver area to live. Unlike any other town north of Boulder, it does have an older core of 19th century homes with a spruced up downtown (Fort Collins). And, it also has a large university (CSU) with undergrads and graduate students who are eager for internships in town.

It's also only about an hour away from the airport.

It's fairly liberal tolerant, especially around the CSU campus, but it's not Boulder, either. There's a wide variety of points of view around town, and no one is likely to notice or care much about yours.

The big knock on Fort Collins (on this board anyway) is that it's too full of overeducated and underemployed people competing for jobs. But in your case, this might actually be a good thing for your business.
I'm dying to find overeducated underemployed people!

Old 10-18-2007, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,037 times
Colorado Springs would be a great choice. I have lived here for 20+ years. Not to big and close to Denver for great arts and sporting events. Great Mountain Biking and Hiking. Give me a call if you need more info. I would be happy to send you a relocation packet with great information the area.

Scott
719-332-9057

Old 10-20-2007, 10:19 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
LMAO ... nobody'sbiz ... Hygiene went out of the OP's price range over 25 years ago. Lyons might have a possibility, but it won't be anything as nice at the price point as can be had in the Longmont area new development you mention ... Lyons got expensive when the outflow from Boulder into the country areas started years ago, especially with the impact of the IBM plant.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
LMAO ... nobody'sbiz ... Hygiene went out of the OP's price range over 25 years ago. Lyons might have a possibility, but it won't be anything as nice at the price point as can be had in the Longmont area new development you mention ... Lyons got expensive when the outflow from Boulder into the country areas started years ago, especially with the impact of the IBM plant.
Nor is Hygiene a mountain town. It is smack on the plains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado