Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The Ouray-Ridgway newspaper (which I get here in Mass.) advertises "R&R Ranch," said ranch being 27 acres with, among other buildings, a 15,000 sq.ft. "house" built in 2007 "has never been lived in." Full frontal log prow with three stories of windows, just that homey kinda feel we all want. Apparently great views from everywhere. Was listed as originally at over $9 million, now opening bid $2.7 million.
That's a common story all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 01:36 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Part of the problem that is impacting parts of Colorado is the fact we are entering the robotic generation and robots are taking a lot of jobs away. That is part of the reason the unemployment rate in Pueblo is over 10% even though many of the manufacturing companies located here and doing quite well. One example of this is the steel mill. They are the most profitable they have been in the 140 years they have been around yet they only employ a little over 1,000 people compared to the over 10,000 people during the 50's and 60's. This trend will only continue and I see it impacting every sector of the job market in less then 10 years.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:34 AM

129 posts, read 250,185 times
In total agreement Josseppie. Its going to take a major cultural shift to get past this. I honestly have no idea how we can do it when society is completely focused on jobs Jobs JOBS!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:40 PM

50,828 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Part of the problem that is impacting parts of Colorado is the fact we are entering the robotic generation and robots are taking a lot of jobs away. That is part of the reason the unemployment rate in Pueblo is over 10% even though many of the manufacturing companies located here and doing quite well. One example of this is the steel mill. They are the most profitable they have been in the 140 years they have been around yet they only employ a little over 1,000 people compared to the over 10,000 people during the 50's and 60's. This trend will only continue and I see it impacting every sector of the job market in less then 10 years.
I doubt they're the most profitable in their history except in current dollars.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I doubt they're the most profitable in their history except in current dollars.
No they are. One of my cousins works there as a quality control manager and he tells me how they have the contract for BNSF. That one contract keeps them busy all the time. However compared to the 1950's and 1960 the plant is much more automated and requires less people to run it. That is why they only have a little over 1,000 people now and that is why it is so profitable. The downside is it keeps the unemployment rate higher because they need less people. This is just one example and it is occurring in manufacturing all over Pueblo. You add it up and its easy to see why the unemployment rate remains above 10%. I don't know but I suspect its affecting other cities in Colorado as well.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:17 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Roboticization

Interesting mention of robots in the workplace, something which is rapidly being implemented. In looking, I happened upon an article which lists nine occupations affected.[1] The list follows, and eight of those nine would directly affect employment in Colorado.

• Pharmacists
• Lawyers and paralegals
• Drivers
• Astronauts
• Store clerks
• Soldiers
• Babysitters
• Rescuers
• Sportswriters and other reporters

Note that four of these occupations are presently well paying positions, and with the possible exception of babysitters and rescuers all still allow a viable living.

Google is in the forefront of automated vehicles, in league with the department of defense. The 2013 flagship Mercedes S Class sedan will allow for the option of fully automated, hands-free, driving at slower speeds, such as in rush hour traffic. The technology allowing full automation anywhere at any speed already exists; its widespread implementation is five to ten years out, and basically an issue of politics and humans catching up to this reality.

Thus it might be evident that truck drivers, for instance, are an endangered class. It is precisely in such a routine task, especially where the money spent on wages might be saved, that this will likely be rolled out first.

Pharmacists are still counted on for their professional knowledge and thorough schooling, in effect as a second counsel in the decision of one's doctor. Indeed, they should have a fuller understanding of compounding and the interaction of different drugs. As such, this has traditionally been a well paying professional position. But as indicated in this article, that will be changing. First with the interns hired to do the physical pill counting and labeling. But it is conceivable that the inclination will be to automate what should perhaps best remain a personal one on one relationship.

Much will change.

1) 'Nine jobs that humans may lose to robots,' NBC News
Nine jobs that humans may lose to robots - Business - Careers | NBC News

Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 PM

50,828 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
No they are. One of my cousins works there as a quality control manager and he tells me how they have the contract for BNSF. That one contract keeps them busy all the time. However compared to the 1950's and 1960 the plant is much more automated and requires less people to run it. That is why they only have a little over 1,000 people now and that is why it is so profitable. The downside is it keeps the unemployment rate higher because they need less people. This is just one example and it is occurring in manufacturing all over Pueblo. You add it up and its easy to see why the unemployment rate remains above 10%. I don't know but I suspect its affecting other cities in Colorado as well.
Show me the numbers in current dollars and I'll believe it.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Interesting mention of robots in the workplace, ....
Fewer jobs almost certainly means more unemployed or under-employed people, which makes the case all that much stronger for humans to limit themselves to a max of two children, else people the world over will breed masses of people for which there are no jobs. Nothing like a billion hungry mouths with nothing to do running around creating major mischief. As long as there's a major oversupply of labor there will be low wages and grinding poverty; tighten up the labor pool via birth control and wages stand a chance of going up to a reasonable level. I see no reason why supply/demand can't work in the labor-wages dynamic as it does in commodities.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Show me the numbers in current dollars and I'll believe it.
I don't have access to those numbers. It was a article I read in the paper last year about how they were going to expand. My point is not just about the steel mill but of all manufacturing companies and even other industries in Colorado as more automation in the work place means less workers which means a higher unemployment rate. This has hit Pueblo hard since we are a manufacturing city but its impacting other sectors in Colorado as well.

60 Minutes ran a story on it and in my opinion is a eye opener on what it means for the economy. Granted this is for a national audience but it defiantly applies to us in Colorado.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50138922n

Old 02-15-2013, 10:09 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I noticed awhile back that the unemployment rate in Colorado is much higher than neighboring states like WY or NE why is that?

Here's the map and the numbers to back it up Map: LA
Because Colorado in general is more desirable in general? More people want to live here, stay here, whereas a good job is the ONLY reason why one would move or stay in most of Nebraska or Wyoming? (this is excluding of course Omaha area as that is actually civilization and of course the Yellowstone/Tetons, Jackson area as its beautiful and full of recreational opportunities and pristing wilderness, yet still has amenities in Jackson, etc. with people from all over the world to see the beauty). (I've lived in Laramie for two years. I liked the university life, but the rest of the state is lonely)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado