Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The 2nd best Downtown in Colorado is....
Colorado Springs 10 21.28%
Boulder 17 36.17%
Pueblo 4 8.51%
Fort Collins 7 14.89%
Grand Junction 1 2.13%
Durango 4 8.51%
Other, please elaborate in a posting! 4 8.51%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:41 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
You mean 2nd best after Estes Park?

I voted for Boulder, in thinking of its outdoor pedestrian mall of Pearl Street. Suppose Denver may outclass it in some respects, but even Boulder is bulging at the seams in population.

Serious about Estes Park, although allowing it would have contention from many another fair town. Two that come to mind are Crested Butte and Creede. Crested Butte is kind of like a miniature Breckenridge, bedecked in Victorian gingerbread, rather cute and cozy. Creede is not only historical but squeezed into some notable landscape. But, while at it, do not overlook the faded history along Blair Street in Silverton, with a good sized mountain marking the four points of the compass at the edges of town. Nor the postcard locations of Ouray and Telluride, each with well tended historical downtowns.

Sometimes, in Estes Park, it is kind of hard to see the town for all the tourists about. Nevertheless a marvelous view to be had in any direction. Its compact downtown in many respects matches the idealized notions many have of the perfect town (if not looking too closely within and realizing much of the wares are tourist oriented). But remove most of the tourists and quiet all down in winter, and with a new snow it is the very picture of a quaint mountain town.

As said, there would be a lot of competition in that. Denver, aside from its size and obvious attractions, has its work cut out for it.
Oh! I didn't see this before! I have to Agree that Estes Park is a good one. Not much to do there, but there is a lot of charm. And those streets are packed in the summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:53 PM

670 posts, read 1,052,641 times
In the Other category - Salida's downtown. Lots of art galleries and unique shops, good places to eat, beautiful Victorian buildings. It's the largest historical district in Colorado

Old 03-06-2013, 12:30 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySkiesAbove View Post
In the Other category - Salida's downtown. Lots of art galleries and unique shops, good places to eat, beautiful Victorian buildings. It's the largest historical district in Colorado
I'll second that. Salida is a super cool little town.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:34 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
I went with Durango. For me it was a toss up between that and Boulder. I went with Durango because the downtown portion really is a bigger tourist destination and draws thousands from out of state every year while downtown Boulder is more of a locals' haunt. Plus I just wanted to give a small town a nod, considering people often zero in on the bigger towns and overlook some awesome places in the state.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:28 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
I have to ask this because I am interested. What does downtown Boulder have that makes it so great? The only thing I know of is the Pearl Street Mall. That is nice but what downtown, of any decent size city, not have a mall?

Old 03-06-2013, 02:59 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,636 times
Wink Boulder in (slightly) greater detail

Aside from Pearl Street, Boulder also has The Hill shopping and dining district near CU that primarily caters to students. There are other "local" shopping districts in town which are not as well known or quaint. Although overall Boulder offers many good options in shopping; Pearl Street would often be bypassed in serious shopping endeavors, if one of the better spots for dining.

Admittedly Boulder is not always the simplest to traverse due heavy traffic. Fort Collins has traffic as well, although not as concentrated and generally simpler to get around. Salida would be a breeze. Durango at times not at all.

There is also a riverwalk in Boulder along Boulder Creek, although it takes more the form of a bike path. Pueblo may have the best urban riverwalk in the state, no idea, although there are certainly many other towns with rivers through them.

Estes Park, if much smaller, has a beautiful pedestrian riverwalk running just south of Elkhorn Avenue for its entire length through central downtown. It basically begins at the music venue just west of downtown, then crosses Elkhorn to follow the edge of the Fall River to its junction with the Big Thompson River, and thence along that down past the Starbucks to the major intersection of US 34 and US 36. A lovely place to be and highly popular in the summer.

The Arkansas River passes through Salida, although I'm unsure of what advantage they've taken of it. The Uncompahgre River directly through Ouray, although as far as I know no formal riverwalk there. On this one subject, however, many may chime in with favorite places of their own.

Back to Boulder. Another feature that makes it as favored are the lovely Flatiron Mountains rising directly above town. If on the plains, it enjoys a lovely setting. One also with direct access into the high country. Other amenities as well, although others can enumerate them if so wishing.

Last edited by Idunn; 03-06-2013 at 03:08 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 03:11 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
When you talk about a downtown in Boulder, of course you have to consider Pearl Street, just like you have to consider Abriendo, East 4th Street, the Court House area, as well as the Historic Union District... and your coveted Riverwalk when considering Pueblo.

Here's a few pics of Boulder;

Those Flatirons that Idunn mentions;

Now, here's a few shots of Pueblo which you would want to put into context of Pueblo's downtown just to get a feel for it;

Oh, looky here! Pueblo's CSU Massari Gym will be home to this year's State 2A BBall Championship tourney! But this is another gym.

Oops. Not P-Town. This might be Vegas;

Next up, a few Pueblo downtown pics

Last edited by McGowdog; 03-06-2013 at 03:27 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 03:23 PM

Default A few Pueblo Downtown Pics

Pueblo Colorado, Home of the Heros

Last edited by McGowdog; 03-06-2013 at 03:36 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 04:00 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Very nice pictures. I can't give you reps but I would if I could!

A few things:

Do you consider Pueblo Central to be in downtown? I always thought downtown ended at the junction and I know is only a few blocks away but i'm not sure I would consider that downtown.

I can see how you can get Las Vegas and Pueblo confused!

Thanks for the picture of downtown Boulder. I know I am a homer but I just don't see downtown Boulder as being the second best in the state. I can make a argument for Colorado Springs or Fort Collins but I just don't see anything downtown Boulder has beyond the Pearl Street Mall and like I said what decent sized city does not have a downtown mall. Downtown Pueblo has at least 2 that I know of.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:36 PM

No, I put Central along with Pueblo pics that are NOT part of downtown, like the ones along Abriendo... although close to downtown, and east 4th, also close to downtown.

I wouldn't consider Colorado Springs because that's Denver South. It should be in a class with Denver, which it's not. Colorado Springs has got to be in the bottom 5 skylines for cities of it's class size.

Now, Manitou Springs, different story.

I think Aspen should be on this list too. I'd also like to include Trinidad. I haven't been to Trinidad in so long, I'd like to go there tomorrow just to do a photo thread. Wish someone there could help us out there. Lamar's downtown wouldn't be too bad if it weren't for all the depressingly vacant buildings. Maybe this will change soon with energy prospects/jobs... unfortunate as some of those may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado