Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:57 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Well, you'd be wrong.

A true grassroots campaign to recall these tyrants overcame all the outside money from Bloomberg et al.

If people can't see that as significant, they're either ignorant, stupid, or both.
Actually the NRA is a national right-wing organization. Not too confident in your detective work there, Sherlock.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:53 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Not directly.....yet. Don't worry, the greenies will take care of that soon. Once you give an inch, they'll take a mile. And, these new laws have caused a nationwide boycott of hunting in Colorado. Multiple hunting outfitters are reporting a severe decline in business, and may have to close their doors.

Myself, I have refused to put in for the draw this year. Next to tourism and skiing, hunting is the single largest revenue generator for the state, and when the DOW's coffers run empty, then you know what is really gonna hit the fan, and guess who will have to make up the difference in new taxes and "fees".

Glad to hear you are refusing to put your name in the draw this year, better chance for me. Hope there are more like you. We really do not need more hunters that need more than 15 shots to hit their target anyway. I guess I haven't heard of too many hunting outfitters having trouble this year, my friend in the industry said it hurt a few years ago but his business was back on track finally.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:25 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Ryan, IIRC hunting licenses for Elk sold out in mere minutes, the "boycott" evaporated. No one is going to shut down hunting season or take anyone's guns, don't believe all those viral emails, I sure don't.

Regardless, we're getting way off topic.

The recall elections will be held, but no matter the outcome, it'll be a waste of our money.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:30 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The recall elections will be held, but no matter the outcome, it'll be a waste of our money.
I view them as a cost of living in a representative democracy. I mean they played by the rules got the needed signatures and deserve the right to have their voice heard. Now its up to the general public if we are going to keep her in office or not.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I view them as a cost of living in a representative democracy. I mean they played by the rules got the needed signatures and deserve the right to have their voice heard. Now its up to the general public if we are going to keep her in office or not.
Colorado needs to change its rules so that cheap political hatefulness like this one never see the light of day. We need to limit recalls or impeachments for bona fide crimes, not unpopular decisions.

The same goes for Colorado's "government by referendum" which allows any crank with an idea to gather signatures and put something on the ballot no matter how ill advised, stupid, or unconstitutional. This stupid process is how Amendment Two got on the books, until the SCOTUS struck it down as flatly unconstitutional; I wish the same fate for the TABOR which is killing us.

We elect people to govern so they can make decisions and take actions even though their decisions and actions sometimes are not very popular with a lot of people. We elect them but then we tie their hands with Bruce's stupid TABOR, which over 400 jurisdictions in the state has opted out of, though COLO SPGS, source of much of the state's goofiness, enacted its very own TABOR for good measure. I'd be amused if it weren't so pitiful and destructive.

The current recall elections are totally inappropriate. No one recalled anyone over Amendment Two, the aggrieved parties worked through the proper court channels to get it overturned and get COLO back to sanity on that issue.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Colorado needs to change its rules so that cheap political hatefulness like this one never see the light of day. We need to limit recalls or impeachments for bona fide crimes, not unpopular decisions.

The same goes for Colorado's "government by referendum" which allows any crank with an idea to gather signatures and put something on the ballot no matter how ill advised, stupid, or unconstitutional. This stupid process is how Amendment Two got on the books, until the SCOTUS struck it down as flatly unconstitutional; I wish the same fate for the TABOR which is killing us.

We elect people to govern so they can make decisions and take actions even though their decisions and actions sometimes are not very popular with a lot of people. We elect them but then we tie their hands with Bruce's stupid TABOR, which over 400 jurisdictions in the state has opted out of, though COLO SPGS, source of much of the state's goofiness, enacted its very own TABOR for good measure. I'd be amused if it weren't so pitiful and destructive.

The current recall elections are totally inappropriate. No one recalled anyone over Amendment Two, the aggrieved parties worked through the proper court channels to get it overturned and get COLO back to sanity on that issue.
How would you change the rules?

Old 07-15-2013, 11:14 AM

Recalls only if an elected one is convicted of a felony or major crime. Giron and Morse are not guilty of anything and have done nothing wrong. The current recalls are the politics of hate, not good government.

Impeachment of an elected one, along the lines of the Federal Government.

End the referendum process; it's just an Rx for abuse. I've seen NOTHING good come out of this process.

Amendments to the Colorado Constitution by 2/3 majority of the voters / legislature after passing a review for constitutional sufficiency.

The above is just a best guess off the top of my head, not absolutely accurate legally until vetted by proper legal review.

Colorado needs to get back to the rule of law, not the current lynch mob or cause-du-jour nonsense that makes us look stupid.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:15 PM

I understand what you are saying and there is some validity to it but at least we are doing this without the rioting, that is what the USA is about. I mean so it costs a few dollars again I still say that is the price for living in a representative democracy. How much would a riot cost us?

Old 07-15-2013, 12:26 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Recalls only if an elected one is convicted of a felony or major crime. Giron and Morse are not guilty of anything and have done nothing wrong. The current recalls are the politics of hate, not good government.

Impeachment of an elected one, along the lines of the Federal Government.
I agree that the rules should be changed to prevent recalls for purely partisan reasons, but I disagree on impeachment simply because both political parties are corrupt at their core and they'll put protecting their own ahead of what's best for the state most of the time. The Clinton Impeachment was a prime example of that. The Republican-led house impeached him, the Democrat-led Senate acquitted him. Same thing would happen here.

Quote:
End the referendum process; it's just an Rx for abuse. I've seen NOTHING good come out of this process.

Amendments to the Colorado Constitution by 2/3 majority of the voters / legislature after passing a review for constitutional sufficiency.
I don't mind I&R reform to prevent frivolous crap from making it on the ballot, but I'm completely against doing away with it. After living in Texas for 12 years I can tell you their initiative process sucks. The only way a measure makes it to the ballot is by approval from the legislature. It goes back to the argument I made about the parties protecting their own. They're not going to put anything on the ballot in TX unless it's completely partisan.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:06 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,550 times
Angela Giron should not, given the demographic of her district, be vulnerable. The fact that she has been recalled and may very well lose her seat should be ample indication that Colorado is about to take a mighty swing to the right. John Morse was recalled with less than 1/3 of signatures coming from Republicans. That means that over two-thirds of recalling signatures came from Democrats and Independent. Scary for Democrats? How can it not be? There are swirling rumors that super-vulnerable Gov. Hickenlooper may not even seek a second term.

Democrats have managed to hold onto seats in this state that they frankly should have lost (e.g. Michael Bennet's Senate seat in '10). So who knows what will really happen. But Republicans have the opportunity to turn Colorado awfully red if they handle themselves well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado