Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 19,179 times

Advertisements

What would be the quickest way to get from Pueblo to Breckenridge? 9 looks a little shorter than going I-25 to I-70, but i'm not sure what that road/route is like.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 09:19 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Well, the traffic on I-25 and I-70 sucks just about anytime, so assuming one can make the speed limit on that route is often a big assumption. As to the other route, once you get over Wilkerson Pass into South Park on US 24 and then onto Colo. 9, the traffic usually isn't much, albeit that it is a two-lane road. Hoosier Pass is not bad unless it's storming. The biggest worry on the 24/9 route is if there is snow on the ground or it is snowing, and the wind starts to blow. South Park blizzards can be miserable. Call or go online and get a road report from CDOT before heading out.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:26 AM

129 posts, read 1,228,075 times
Actually, there's no need to use US 24 to get to Hwy 9. Just head west on US 50 out of Pueblo.

We lived outside of Pueblo and frequently visited our close friends living in Alma. We drove the US 50 to Hwy 9 route to go see them quite often, both summer and winter. It's a beautiful drive, and although there is very little traffic on Hwy 9, it was always as well plowed in winter as the more major highways. We never had any problems driving it.

Note that Hwy 9 does a funny little "jog" when you reach Hartsel. You'll turn West onto US 24 for maybe a mile (or a little less), and then watch for your turn to the right again to resume on Hwy 9. If you miss that right turn, you'll go quite a bit out of your way before intersecting US 285.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winglady View Post
Actually, there's no need to use US 24 to get to Hwy 9. Just head west on US 50 out of Pueblo.

We lived outside of Pueblo and frequently visited our close friends living in Alma. We drove the US 50 to Hwy 9 route to go see them quite often, both summer and winter. It's a beautiful drive, and although there is very little traffic on Hwy 9, it was always as well plowed in winter as the more major highways. We never had any problems driving it.

Note that Hwy 9 does a funny little "jog" when you reach Hartsel. You'll turn West onto US 24 for maybe a mile (or a little less), and then watch for your turn to the right again to resume on Hwy 9. If you miss that right turn, you'll go quite a bit out of your way before intersecting US 285.
You are correct. I misread the original post and assumed the poster was going from Colorado Springs. My bad. I'm with you Winglady, I like the drive up through Guffey and Hartsel. I liked it a lot better before the Front Range water thieves had their way with South Park, but, oh well . . .

Old 11-25-2007, 12:45 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
I agree with winglady on this.

Besides, 9 up to Hartsel is beautiful and you don't have to deal with C Springs traffic.

I would never recommend to anyone that lives in the Pueblo area to even consider I-25 to I-70. You'd add on a good chunk of time with that route.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 8,673 times
I have a job starting in Novermber in Breckenridge CO. I was looking at living in Alma to save money on rent. My concern is the drive over the Hoosier pass everyday in the winter. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of this?

Old 10-11-2010, 01:03 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
I agree with winglady on this.

Besides, 9 up to Hartsel is beautiful and you don't have to deal with C Springs traffic.

I would never recommend to anyone that lives in the Pueblo area to even consider I-25 to I-70. You'd add on a good chunk of time with that route.
I take I-25 to I-70 all the time when I ski at Keystone in Summit County. Its about the same time and much less of a headache as you are on major interstates the entire time.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:50 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink Hoosier Pass commute

Do not believe I've ever driven Hoosier Pass (11,542 feet) in the winter, but enough times in the summer to know it is a long drive from Breckenridge to Alma even with ideal conditions. People do it of course, but best attempted by either the masochist or those liking long mountain drives.

While it may be less expensive to live outside of Breckenridge, there is a LOT to be said for a short commute. Not to mention that Breckenridge itself would be a nice place to call home.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:34 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allseasonsken View Post
I have a job starting in Novermber in Breckenridge CO. I was looking at living in Alma to save money on rent. My concern is the drive over the Hoosier pass everyday in the winter. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of this?
I've driven Hoosier Pass plenty in the winter when I-70 closed for one reason or another.

In regards to commuting, yes people do it, would I do it? No. Especially would not recommend it if you have to get to work early before 7 am or head home after 8 at night.

It frequently gets weather and in some places is a fairly winding road and you'll be dealing with plenty of snow and ice.

If you are going to do it then no question I would have excellent snow tires on your car such as Nokian Hakas or Bridgestone Blizzaks. I'd also have your car stocked in the event of a breakdown or hold up due to weather.

Personally having done 8 ski seasons, living far from work or the town itself kinda of defeats the purpose of living in a ski town. Some things are worth paying for and what you might save on the front end, you might lose even more off the back end in time and money.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I take I-25 to I-70 all the time when I ski at Keystone in Summit County. Its about the same time and much less of a headache as you are on major interstates the entire time.

With thousands of other fools. I would rather trust in my own driving skill and take a road where I don't have to worry so much about "the other guy." But, I'm not some city slicker and I'm used to driving in bad weather on lonely rural highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado