Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times

Advertisements

I wonder if it might have something to do with the familiarity many Coloradoans have with firearms. Many Colorado Springs residents are ex-military. Colorado has a lot of hunters. Because of these, lots of people own and know how to use guns.

Makes it easier.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:11 AM

615 posts, read 1,374,878 times
Unhappy High male/female ratios correlate with high suicide rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
Coincidentally, AK, MT, NV, WY, CO, ID, & UT have more males than females, which is above the national average. Hmm.
When I was a graduate student at the University of Arizona in 1992, I saw in a journal a similar list of state rankings by suicide rate. The article postulated that states with lower population densities had higher suicide rates. For a class project in a statistics class, I correlated the state suicide data with population density and other statistical data. One of the statistical data that I correlated with suicide rates was each state's male/female ratio. My analysis revealed that a state's male/female ratio correlated reasonably well with its suicide rate and this correlation was stronger than a state's population density to its suicide rate.

Thus, states that have a high male/female ratio likely have a higher percentage of single men, and single men have higher suicide rates than married men and both single and married women.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:49 AM

38 posts, read 121,702 times
Default suicide rate

from personal experience, I would say loneliness and cabin fever. I have lived in several states, and the people I have met here are nice, but are afraid to have anyone over at their homes or backyard for a barbecue. If they are not skiing or hiking, they lock themselves up. The women have other women over to purchase items from them. The home sales companies are making it rich here, or at least Denver suburbs.
I have heard the same response from several people here. The winters sometimes begin in late October and continue through May. We are here for a while longer, so I hope the weather improves.
It is unhealthy to not have people contact, and to be indoors most of the year.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I wonder if it might have something to do with the familiarity many Coloradoans have with firearms. Many Colorado Springs residents are ex-military. Colorado has a lot of hunters. Because of these, lots of people own and know how to use guns.

Makes it easier.
There is quite a bit of research that more females attempt suicide but more males "complete" (medical jargon) it, due to males using more lethal means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
When I was a graduate student at the University of Arizona in 1992, I saw in a journal a similar list of state rankings by suicide rate. The article postulated that states with lower population densities had higher suicide rates. For a class project in a statistics class, I correlated the state suicide data with population density and other statistical data. One of the statistical data that I correlated with suicide rates was each state's male/female ratio. My analysis revealed that a state's male/female ratio correlated reasonably well with its suicide rate and this correlation was stronger than a state's population density to its suicide rate.

Thus, states that have a high male/female ratio likely have a higher percentage of single men, and single men have higher suicide rates than married men and both single and married women.
At last some professional data on this topic. I did quit reading this thread for a while, so I may have missed some. It's impossible to speculate.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:43 AM

18,715 posts, read 33,376,773 times
I'd say that a lot of what are listed as female "attempts" are actually deliberate non-lethal self-injury, which is much less common in men. (See the current media fuss about "cutting"and so forth- a lot of girls/women do this in a way of "feeling my pain" or "relieving tension" and so on. I don't get it, but I do know that it is very common (I work in the field- see it all the time).
And yes, men are more likely to use a lethal method because they are less concerned about disfiguring themselves. Women, if serious, still want to take pills and go to sleep like Sleeping Beauty or something. Men are willing to do some real damage.
Women/girls also "overdose" on next to nothing as an expression of their discomfort, or a maniupulation to those around them, etc. etc. They know that 15 Tylenol or 10mgs. of Valium won't do it. Often, they do just want to go to sleep and escape their own misery at the moment. And all this gets listed as "suicide attempts."

Old 04-26-2008, 07:15 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,966 times
Quote:
Ten second analysis looks like it correlates inversely with population density.
I concur, with that of related alcohol/drug problems in rural less densely populated area of the Rocky Mountains.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Ten second analysis looks like it correlates inversely with population density.
Though that may not be the reason, just a correlation.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:30 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,082 times
I haven't read through all the posts but my guess is that it is because of the $%&*#! WIND! Not that I have contemplated suicide because of it, but it sure has made me think about moving -- and I've lived in CO for 26 years.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:46 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,288,953 times
I guess I just don't worry much about it, as it's one of those classically self-correcting phenomena. When you think about it, self-elimination from the gene pool seems to be one of those uniquely human Darwinian efficiencies.

Sort of reminds me of a quote from the old M*A*S*H series..."if we had more men like you, we'd have less men like you."

Old 04-27-2008, 04:24 PM

As a health professional, I have a real problem with people making light of such a serious situation. I know a lot of this is in jest, but sucide isn't really funny. My uncle told me a story about a man in his town in Wisconsin who said to a friend, "I'm so depressed, I think I'll go home and shoot myself". His friend (not, thank God, my uncle) said "Yes, that's a good idea". The man went home and did exactly that. It's serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado