Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:13 PM

386 posts, read 1,693,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallLine View Post
You just listed the exact same things that give me the jitters about the SoCal infiltration of Denver. I could play the "20 years ago it was like -this-" card but we all know every city changes over time. I also have a affinity for the genuineness and neighborliness of the people in MO. Really I think that's the midwest in general.
The SoCal infiltration is actually already complete. People really shouldn't be worried about the "Californication" of Colorado because, for the most part, it has already been done. The 90s were the years with the most demographic shifts. Colorado's population continues to grow--and many of this growth is from California--but it is illegal immigration which is fueling much of it.

I left Denver because the state lost so much of its charm and liveability for me. Oddly enough, a lot of cities DON'T change like Denver has. St. Louis, for better or worse, is the same charming, marginally-parochial, down-to-earth city it has always been. And I think you can say the same for any number of midwestern cities. Even Dallas--despite phenomenal growth--has managed to keep Texas at its heart.

The midwest isn't nearly as beautiful as Colorado and it has its own pitfalls. But I find the people in Denver insufferable. I realized that I was going through life largely holding my nose. Say what you want about Missouri, but the people are select.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 11:39 PM

8 posts, read 26,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
The SoCal infiltration is actually already complete. People really shouldn't be worried about the "Californication" of Colorado because, for the most part, it has already been done. The 90s were the years with the most demographic shifts. Colorado's population continues to grow--and many of this growth is from California--but it is illegal immigration which is fueling much of it.

I left Denver because the state lost so much of its charm and liveability for me. Oddly enough, a lot of cities DON'T change like Denver has. St. Louis, for better or worse, is the same charming, marginally-parochial, down-to-earth city it has always been. And I think you can say the same for any number of midwestern cities. Even Dallas--despite phenomenal growth--has managed to keep Texas at its heart.

The midwest isn't nearly as beautiful as Colorado and it has its own pitfalls. But I find the people in Denver insufferable. I realized that I was going through life largely holding my nose. Say what you want about Missouri, but the people are select.
Agreed the SoCal exodus is old news and already "done" for the most part. But much like siphoning gas from a car just because the siphoning container is full doesn't mean the gas stops coming out of the tube.

As for St. Louis not changing ... I'd disagree but that's just me.

Cheers.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
"They" were talking like this when we came here almost 30 yrs ago. I'm tired of hearing about the SoCal "infiltration" or any other "infiltration". It seems there is a history of blaming everything on the outsiders.
With all due respect, blame is your word .. not mine. A very simple ethnography of citizens 20-30 (whatever) years ago and the citizens now would highlight a significant change that primarily - from all accounts - was generated from one region of the country. That's not subjective - that's a fact supported by migration numbers.

If we're willing to understand the facts behind this type of thing we're going to learn more about our ever-evolving culture and who we are as a community.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
With all due respect, blame is your word .. not mine. A very simple ethnography of citizens 20-30 (whatever) years ago and the citizens now would highlight a significant change that primarily - from all accounts - was generated from one region of the country. That's not subjective - that's a fact supported by migration numbers.

If we're willing to understand the facts behind this type of thing we're going to learn more about our ever-evolving culture and who we are as a community.
Stats for Denver:

Quote:
Place of birth for U.S.-born residents:

This state: 222531
Northeast: 33351
Midwest: 89984
South: 56085
West: 50167
As "West" includes states other than California as well, I don't see any evidence of any "infiltration". If anything, we've had a midwestern "infiltration".

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-11-2008 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: Add midwestern info

Old 04-18-2008, 03:17 AM

We also know that most of California's residents aren't native to their own state. Transient populations are always on the move. Unfortunately "place of birth" stats tell us extremely little. For that matter a single set of statistics don't really tell us much of anything. As I stated, a full ethnography would be the best way to go.

Beyond that we can look around and see what the culture is now and compare it to what it was through our own experiences.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 6,486 times
I agree greatly with you on the whole 'Denver' idea. If you just watch the news or spend some time there you would know that it would be a horrible place to live. But it just depends on what you like? Are you a person who thrives on being around a lot of people? Who wants to inhale all the bad toxins from all of the pollution? Do you want to be around gangs? What are you looking for? Do you ever plan on raising a family? Because if you are than Denver is not a choice for you. You should consider Castle Rock, or a smaller town. Castle Rock has many job opportunities, has a great community, great educational opportunities for children, the crime rate is low, and if you truely desire a career in Denver it is close enough to travel.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
We also know that most of California's residents aren't native to their own state. Transient populations are always on the move. Unfortunately "place of birth" stats tell us extremely little. For that matter a single set of statistics don't really tell us much of anything. As I stated, a full ethnography would be the best way to go.

Beyond that we can look around and see what the culture is now and compare it to what it was through our own experiences.
Well, the stats are for place of birth. Here are some stats for LA:
[quote]Place of birth for U.S.-born residents:

Place of birth for U.S.-born residents:

This state: 1485576
Northeast: 186592
Midwest: 196243
South: 204521
West: 77390
Roughly equal numbers from the south, midwest and NE in that order. Anyone can dispute statistics. I just think there has been no "infiltration" of Colorado by anyone. I have been here almost 30 yrs. I don't think the culture has changed appreciably. One's experiences as a child are probably not the most accurate gauge.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:28 PM

835 posts, read 2,857,703 times
hey man you dont have to live in denver or boulder there is castle rock/golden/monument/arvada/and some other smaller communities south and west of denver in the hills your advantage to these areas is you could work in colorado springs or denver and live in a smaller city 20-30 min drive away

Old 04-25-2008, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,310 times
I am a native of Colorado so if you would like my 2 cents here it is.
I would move to Aurora the south part of town around the Parker area. Finding a job would be much easier in the Denver Metro Area. The Parker area is decent priced and very beautiful there are state parks right next door, and Parker's location in regards to highways is perfect. I would hold off moving to Boulder right away, everyone jokes that Boulder is an independant country, because it really is. Prices are high there and it doesnt have as much to offer as the Denver Metro area does. I think both of you would like the Denver Metro area the best just stay away from northern Aurora and all of the cities north of Denver. (just a personal choice) look in the South Denver and the west. Just remember elevation plays a major role in your everyday life living in Denver, this is the number one reason I moved away from Colorado, you have to take this into account before you move! otherwise Colorado is the best state to live in!!

Old 04-25-2008, 06:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo18 View Post
I am a native of Colorado....elevation plays a major role in your everyday life living in Denver, this is the number one reason I moved away from Colorado....
What is meant by this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado