U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2018, 04:33 PM
 
5,309 posts, read 2,754,696 times
Reputation: 9830

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have used composite material here in the East and want it for my deck and boardwalk entry path in my retirement house at 7,000 feet in Colorado. My designer says he just knows that "it's plastic under my feet" but I am all for "unnatural" materials if they recycle stuff that doesn't biodegrade, require less or no maintenance, and all the other advantages of composites.

I am told that the first composites used at high sunny altitudes melted in the sun. Presumably that has been addressed.
Warping looked more like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2018, 01:15 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,393 posts, read 39,713,740 times
Reputation: 23408
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have used composite material here in the East and want it for my deck and boardwalk entry path in my retirement house at 7,000 feet in Colorado. My designer says he just knows that "it's plastic under my feet" but I am all for "unnatural" materials if they recycle stuff that doesn't biodegrade, require less or no maintenance, and all the other advantages of composites.

I am told that the first composites used at high sunny altitudes melted in the sun. Presumably that has been addressed.
IF you go composite, BE SURE to get the version that has been scored for traction (slits / grid pattern). My neighbor (now age 70) did a huge suspended deck with Trex (plastic composite) He has slipped and broken bones multiple times. Last time was the hip, after a pretty serious back injury slipping off the deck.

As a plastics engineer (for last 40 yrs) I will not have one, but do see the merit / use for some.

They will burn very nicely and HOT. (and FAST) tho ignition will require a fire / ember.

For suspended decks (where I want it DRY underneath) I use built up fiberglass with anti slick topping (walnut shells) in Fiberglass resin. (similar to a sailboat deck)

BTW... I also do not want a car with plastics! (so I have older cars!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2018, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Denver CO
20,975 posts, read 11,615,689 times
Reputation: 31807
This place is well worth a visit for anyone thinking about putting in a deck.

http://www.thedecksuperstore.com/what-youll-see

They have an outdoor display of all the decking materials they sell, where you can see how it has fared in real conditions. I picked my decking in part because of how it looked after it had weathered for a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2018, 12:39 PM
 
13,293 posts, read 25,463,471 times
Reputation: 20377
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
IF you go composite, BE SURE to get the version that has been scored for traction (slits / grid pattern). My neighbor (now age 70) did a huge suspended deck with Trex (plastic composite) He has slipped and broken bones multiple times. Last time was the hip, after a pretty serious back injury slipping off the deck.
Wow, thank you for the info. I am wanting a boardwalk-type deck on grade (which I have now in the East). It does get slippery faster than I expected but is not suspended.

Let's see. Scored for traction. Got it. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2018, 08:01 PM
 
5,309 posts, read 2,754,696 times
Reputation: 9830
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Wow, thank you for the info. I am wanting a boardwalk-type deck on grade (which I have now in the East). It does get slippery faster than I expected but is not suspended.

Let's see. Scored for traction. Got it. Thanks again.
Iíve seen traction mats glued to composite decks. They feel and look like coarse sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2018, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Where the mountains touch the sky
603 posts, read 732,647 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Wow, thank you for the info. I am wanting a boardwalk-type deck on grade (which I have now in the East). It does get slippery faster than I expected but is not suspended.

Let's see. Scored for traction. Got it. Thanks again.
Also in our intense Rocky Mountain sun composite decking can get very very hot, something to keep in mind for dog paws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2018, 08:27 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,393 posts, read 39,713,740 times
Reputation: 23408
Lots of issues, few solutions;

Slip Resistant Composite Decking: Non-Slip Composite Decking Is Family Friendly and Worry-Free - Fortress Decks


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5kPQb7DIrI

tough to shovel in the snow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y2KlFyi-1o

In NZ National Parks, I note they had nailed Stainless Steel chain link fencing over top of Composite Walkways. (can't shovel snow),

Lower traffic areas that had used a Stainless Steel expanded metal. (but it wore out / tore in high traffic.)

I use ground up walnut shells and epoxy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 08:29 AM
 
13,293 posts, read 25,463,471 times
Reputation: 20377
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Lots of issues, few solutions;

I use ground up walnut shells and epoxy.

Is there a commercial preparation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 09:39 AM
 
7,335 posts, read 16,590,164 times
Reputation: 4567
Well, we are seriously thinking about moving back to Colorado. Lived in both south Englewood and Parker for 5 1/2 years and absolutely loved it. Sold our house in Parker in Oct 2007 and moved out of the state for s fairly dumb reason........I fell in ice/snow by our house and that fall required rotator cuff surgery/rehab. I didn't want to fall again or my wife to fall and either of us become seriously injured. Thing is, living here in northeastern Florida now, a few years ago, I fell in our apartment complex parking lot and that fall required rotator cuff surgery on my other shoulder. When we decided to move, we didn't think that we could fall anywhere we move to, even without ice/snow being around.

Not looking at moving back to the areas we lived in before, because we won't need full-time jobs as we will be in our early 70's when we plan on moving in 2019. I'm already retired and wife will be that way when we leave. We've been looking at Loveland to move to. Much small population and much less crime than the city we live 11 miles south of here (Jacksonville). We thought we love the boating here, have changed our minds about that. Have seen what saltwater can do to an engine and outdrive. No Elk, no rodeo action, no beautiful mountains, like the Rockies.

So, while some folks may be leaving, we are making plans of moving back. Actually, are planning a week of vacation in Loveland this summer and going to CFD in Cheyenne.

Another thing, we don't make good Flordians or Southerners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 01:38 PM
 
571 posts, read 282,994 times
Reputation: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, we are seriously thinking about moving back to Colorado. Lived in both south Englewood and Parker for 5 1/2 years and absolutely loved it. Sold our house in Parker in Oct 2007 and moved out of the state for s fairly dumb reason........I fell in ice/snow by our house and that fall required rotator cuff surgery/rehab. I didn't want to fall again or my wife to fall and either of us become seriously injured. Thing is, living here in northeastern Florida now, a few years ago, I fell in our apartment complex parking lot and that fall required rotator cuff surgery on my other shoulder. When we decided to move, we didn't think that we could fall anywhere we move to, even without ice/snow being around.

Not looking at moving back to the areas we lived in before, because we won't need full-time jobs as we will be in our early 70's when we plan on moving in 2019. I'm already retired and wife will be that way when we leave. We've been looking at Loveland to move to. Much small population and much less crime than the city we live 11 miles south of here (Jacksonville). We thought we love the boating here, have changed our minds about that. Have seen what saltwater can do to an engine and outdrive. No Elk, no rodeo action, no beautiful mountains, like the Rockies.

So, while some folks may be leaving, we are making plans of moving back. Actually, are planning a week of vacation in Loveland this summer and going to CFD in Cheyenne.

Another thing, we don't make good Flordians or Southerners.
At least you will be as happy the day you sell the boat as the day you bought it (old joke!).

Same with hot tubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top