Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:52 PM

130 posts, read 385,334 times

Advertisements

I am looking into moving to Aurora or Denver and I noticed college tuition out there is outstandingly higher than where I am living. Although the cost of living is much higher, San Diego is only $20.00 per unit (credit). In looking at CO, I saw $166-171.00 per credit!!!! I am considering not moving because of it. I would qualify for financial aid, but I'm worried I may not get any $$$ leftover after financial aid/other CO grants pays for my tuition and books. Does anyone have a LOGICAL explanation why the tuition costs are so much higher? I cannot locate any answers on the internet. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 08:58 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
First of all, are we comparing apples to apples? A JC to a private university?

Second, cost of living is higher in SoCal, right? One reason is because the property taxes are almost double there than in Colorado. Property taxes (help) pay for schools. Either way you (or someone) pays.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Simply stated, a 1992 Amendment to the Colorado Constitution (the "TABOR" Amendment) severely constrained revenue growth from taxes in Colorado government. As a result, state-supported colleges in Colorado have lived under fairly severe budgetary constraints for years. While the Amendment constrained revenue from taxes, fees (including tuition) were not constrained. So, tuition has increased significantly to fill the gap. As a policy decision, a larger part of the tuition increases was put on out-of-state tuition. I actually agree with this, as I believe Colorado residents should be the first and primary beneficiaries of the state college and university systems that they are also subsidizing with their taxes. In fact, I would prefer to see out-of-state tuition raised even more, with in-state tuition rates reduced by a corresponding amount, along with tightening of residency requirements to mandate that a person (or his or her parents, if the student is under 21) must live in the state continually for at least 5 years to achieve residency status for tuition purposes.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:47 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
I don't know about the figures you quoted, but Colorado students are eligible for the College Opportunity Fund, which knocks the price down somewhat. The prices you have seen are perhaps before the COP discount. It's a strange system.

From the CU website:

Quote:
For fall 2008, spring 2009, and summer 2009, the voucher amount per credit hour has been set at $92 per credit hour.
https://www.cu.edu/ums/cof/faq.html

Old 07-09-2008, 12:16 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,309,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenvic View Post
I am looking into moving to Aurora or Denver and I noticed college tuition out there is outstandingly higher than where I am living. Although the cost of living is much higher, San Diego is only $20.00 per unit (credit). In looking at CO, I saw $166-171.00 per credit!!!! I am considering not moving because of it. I would qualify for financial aid, but I'm worried I may not get any $$$ leftover after financial aid/other CO grants pays for my tuition and books. Does anyone have a LOGICAL explanation why the tuition costs are so much higher? I cannot locate any answers on the internet. Thank You.
Because California taxes the crap out of people to pay for it and Colorado doesn't. People in California look at state-funded school tuition costs and quickly lose sight of the true cost to run those institutions. So get your education on the California taxpayer but stay there and work for 40 years, pay a top marginal income tax rate of 9%, pay 7.75% sales tax, pay $6000/yr in property tax, and pay, pay, pay, with without complaining.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:06 AM

9 posts, read 43,428 times
You might be paying for higher quality in education. I'm leaving Tennessee next month to attend college at Adams State in Alamosa. I don't think I have everything covered, but I'm still going, and what I don't I may take federal loans. I qualified for Federal Work Study as well as a Good Neighbor Scholarship which is good for $2,100 a semester toward tuition. That Good Neighbor Scholarship is for out-of-state students meeting specific academic requirements and pretty much negates out-of-state tuition costs.

University of Colorado-Boulder is a really good school academically. And University of Denver (who I know of oh so well with the athletic affiliation in the same conference as my old school Middle Tennessee State) is a private school and ranks in the Top 50 in the nation academically. Condaleeza Rice went to school at University of Denver.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:46 AM

51 posts, read 170,787 times
As a mom of a new freshman in college in 2 months, ALL colleges are expensive

Old 07-09-2008, 08:30 AM

345 posts, read 1,560,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't know about the figures you quoted, but Colorado students are eligible for the College Opportunity Fund, which knocks the price down somewhat. The prices you have seen are perhaps before the COP discount. It's a strange system.

From the CU website:

https://www.cu.edu/ums/cof/faq.html
The above info is true, but it is for resident students. I believe the OP is out-of-state which the COF would not cover. And you know how stringent the proof of residency is...

Old 07-09-2008, 08:40 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaCo Mom View Post
The above info is true, but it is for resident students. I believe the OP is out-of-state which the COF would not cover. And you know how stringent the proof of residency is...
Yes, I do know how hard it is to get residency. Almost every state charges higher tuition for out of state students. In the OP's state, California, it is very difficult for an out of state student to attend the premier universities, such as UCLA, even at out of state tuition prices. However, he may have read something that led him to think that all students pay the same price per credit hour.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:12 PM

164 posts, read 593,671 times
I actually think and have heard from Californians that tuition there is excessively low. Less than $200 per credit for nonresident tuition is pretty cheap...you can make it happen if you want to. Having 2 or 3 jobs for a few years is nothing considering it will PREVENT you from needing 2 or 3 jobs for the rest of your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado