Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 05:52 PM

41 posts, read 259,212 times

Advertisements

I am currently trying to do some research and find a good area to teach in after I graduate next spring. I was wondering what are some areas of Colorado in need of teachers and what are some nice areas for a young teacher to live. I am very interested in Lakewood and Aurora. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2006, 07:36 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
have you looked at the Colorado Dept of Ed website? Lakewood has a hip new urban area called belmar, and you need to choose your part of aurora carefully.

Colorado Springs as a nice public education rating and there housing prices are cheaper than Denver's (it's only an hour away.)

Old 01-05-2007, 01:22 PM

10 posts, read 36,169 times
Hi!
Seems like we have something in common! I am graduating in May with a teaching degree and moving to colorado. There are many areas that I have in mind and a friend suggested Aurora?? I havent done much research on it yet.. I worked at a summer camp last summer and had the opportunity to check out colorado springs (which i really liked) but from people i talk to say go to fort collins, denver area.. Im struggling! Im from Wisconsin and am nervous? how do you meet people my age in a town where you know no one? kinda nerve racking! ha ill be the girl at a bar with a sign saying WANTED: friends! ha. well heres a site that has helped with the career side of things.. job postings and also information about schools and districts!
https://gateway.cde.state.co.us/portal/page?_pageid=33,34440&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL (broken link)
hope this helps!
Joanna

Old 01-05-2007, 01:34 PM

Default New teacher wanting to start in Co?!

I am from WI and my childhood dream was to move to Colorado.. Well I will graduate in May with my teaching degree and am about to take the next step!! So nervous!!

Questions anyone can help with..

Where should I live.. I’m 24 single, I would prefer to remain young!
Aurora? Fort Collins? Denver (but what area?) Littleton?

How difficult is getting a teaching job? I have an elementary education and also a Learning disabilities license.

How in the world do you meet people? I may be the girl alone in the bar with a sign that says WANTED: friends!

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jessica

Old 01-05-2007, 02:08 PM

616 posts, read 3,005,440 times
You may want to check out the college towns of Ft Collins, Boulder, and Greely. Though, I'd pick the first two over Greely.

If you are a church goer, then find a good church and get involved in their singles group. Personally, I'd stay clear of the bar scene if you are looking for a mate.

We do need good teachers. There has been a lot of growth all over the state and schools are struggling to keep up with the number of kids. Of course, we need teachers to teach them. Your learning disabilities license should help you.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:05 PM

10 posts, read 52,602 times
For Collins Fort Collins Fort Collins. Its an amazing town that will do nothing but get better. The mix of people covers all ages, but you'll find most are outgoing, motivated,young and active. [moderator cut]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-05-2007 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: No realtor advertising or trolling for clients.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:54 PM

thank you thank you thank you! now.. as far as fort collins, what is the cost of living? Lets say renting.. apartment? I was thinking in a safe area.. I have never been to fort collins, is there an area you suggest over others? how far is the drive to denver from fort?

Old 01-05-2007, 04:44 PM

10 posts, read 52,602 times
Depending on how nice of a place you want, I'd say between 300 - 600 a month. Of course you can go higher. I have not seen a bad neighborhood in Fort Collins. Crime is very low, and the people are wonderful.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:57 PM

101 posts, read 608,091 times
I have been considering the same type of move. I currently teach in SoCal, grew up in the much nicer NorCal. Anyhow, the problem I have found is that CO has not been up with national trends on teacher pay. Their relative position among states has gone down, currently they are ranked around ~25. The problem I have is that even though cost of living is cheaper, it would take over 15 years in CO to make what I make in my first year in CA. Not to mention that CO is increasing so fast that areas like Boulder, Durango, and even a lot of the areas in and around Denver aren't that much of a savings anymore.

Luckily, you are coming from WI so that really isn't an issue, but teacher salary in CO hasn't been keeping up with national trends nor the recent increase in cost of living.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:13 PM

Yes, teacher pay is lower in Colorado than here in WI.. but I know I don't want to stay in WI, so I have to make the move! Also, I'm hoping to find a nice, but cheaper apartment for my first place.. I've been a college student for 6 years.. I have the game of living cheap down! I'll probably find a side job serving as well. where were you thinking about moving in CO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado